Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in 2nd Year

Options
  • 30-03-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hey, hope someone here can help me, UCD prospectus and website aren't much use.
    Through a combination of never going to lectures and too much student "fun", I left my course at the start of the semester. I was doing Psychology in Trinity, but it wasn't for me. I want to start Arts here in September, but I was wondering if I could just start in 2nd year? I only want to spend two more years in college. I want to do English and Psych, but I'll already have a year and a half of Psych, so will they allow me to just skip 1st year?
    Help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

lou91 wrote: »
    Through a combination of never going to lectures and too much student "fun", I left my course at the start of the semester. I was doing Psychology in Trinity, but it wasn't for me. I want to start Arts here in September, but I was wondering if I could just start in 2nd year? I only want to spend two more years in college. I want to do English and Psych, but I'll already have a year and a half of Psych, so will they allow me to just skip 1st year?
    Help appreciated!

Well tbh i would imagine it goes without saying on here that the first thing you should do is get on to UCD registry and see what they say, obviously they'd be far more informative then we would. In saying that though i would be inclined to say that it is possible, especially for psych since you've actually completed first year however the English aspect might be more problematic since you presumably havent done english at third level yet?

Honestly though i'm just thinking out loud, you would have to get on to the people who know best for firmer answers.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

Help appreciated!

No way in hell would they let you skip it if you haven't completed (and passed) first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP, this is just me speculating but the impression I get is that you failed your course? If that's the case there's no way you'll be allowed into second year.
    Also if you didn't like psycology in Trinity why would you like it in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I want to do English and Psych, but I'll already have a year and a half of Psych, so will they allow me to just skip 1st year?
    Help appreciated!

Assuming you passed first year psychology in Trinity, they may let you use some of those credits towards your degree in UCD. The ECTS system is supposed to facilitate that sort of thing.

You should contact the Arts programme office in UCD and the Psychology school to discuss this with them. I believe they do something called an 'assessment of prior learning' (or something along those lines) where they see what you've done before and decide how much of it can count and what exemptions, if any, you can have. You will need transcripts of results from Trinity for this.

I wouldn't bank on being able to finish in two years, though, as you're not going to get anything towards English and you probably won't be able to squeeze that all into two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Does Trinity not allow you to repeat a year?

Surely you'd be better off doing an arts course there - and you've already been accepted to the course you want in Trinity anyway, so why do you want UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Help appreciated!

You probably wont be able to start in 2nd year on the grounds that you don't have those credits completed in UCD. Either way you have to complete so many credits.

An Arts degree in TCD is 4 years and in UCD 3 years. You can't get much much less than 3 years! But being in college is no bad thing. :D

Just note that you will have to pay full fees for 1 year if you drop out; also have to apply through CAO again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This should be of interest to you. From what you say here, I doubt you can transfer into second year.
    Who can apply?
    Applicants who have attended a recognised Higher Education Institution may be considered for transfer at the end of the academic year. Applicants may apply to stage 2 of a programme similar to that in which they have completed 1st year, or to stage 3 having completed 2nd year. It is not usually possible to enter the final year of a degree programme.

When?
    The closing date is 1 July and all supporting documents (whether hard or soft copy) with the exception of pending results must be received by UCD Admissions no later than 8 July.

How to apply?
    Applications must be made online at www.ucd.ie/apply. Applicants should choose the 'undergrad transfer/readmission' application type when making an application. Applications for 2011 are now open.

Supporting documents required include copy of birth cert/passport (photo page), school-leaving qualifications, University transcripts and module descriptors. You may be advised of other requirements following your application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.

What are the regulations for External Transfers?
    Applications are considered provided:
    a) They meet the entry requirements of the class they are entering, except under the conditions outlined in 2.3.2 in the Transfer Policy.
    b) They are able to satisfy the progression requirements of the new programme.
    c) There are places available in the new programme.

The School of Medicine and Medical Science in University College Dublin will normally consider transfer students to the Medicine degree programme only on humanitarian grounds on a case by case basis. Applications should be accompanied by an endorsement from the applicant’s current Dean and, if claiming medical grounds, a Medical Certificate.

For full details see the Transfer Policy.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc#External

Here's the link to the transfer policy.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/trans_pol.pdf

Advertisement