Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAL 50/60

• 30-03-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

Just bought the XBox 360 250GB and PES 2011 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. My tele is a 32 inch and the brand is AOC. It appears i cant play either game in PAL 50 which gives me best picture. When i change it to PAL 60 it is a terrible picture. What can i do to get around this.

I just plugged 3 cables into scart into av1 scart...

any help wud be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

thebullets wrote: »
    Hi,

Just bought the XBox 360 250GB and PES 2011 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. My tele is a 32 inch and the brand is AOC. It appears i cant play either game in PAL 50 which gives me best picture. When i change it to PAL 60 it is a terrible picture. What can i do to get around this.

I just plugged 3 cables into scart into av1 scart...

any help wud be great

I assume you are using the red white and yellow cable that came with it????

Worst possible method of connection , it'll be sh!te regardless , especially if you are using a HD tv, cheap skate microsoft used to ship the xbox with a component cable , which would be a big step up .

End of the day , go out and get a hdmi, vga or component cable depending on what your tv has. HDMI being the 1st choice if your tv has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thebullets

yeah just seen the other threads on this but wanted to make sure! I see in bargain alerts that the 2 euro shops are selling hdmi cables!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

thebullets wrote: »
    yeah just seen the other threads on this but wanted to make sure! I see in bargain alerts that the 2 euro shops are selling hdmi cables!

Thanks!

Win!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

calex71 wrote: »
    Win!!!!!! :)

tbh they are a bit gammy mate, picked one up myself for my new S and its not great

Tesco do a good quality one for 11 euro, its top notch,

Amazon do them for 34 pence too, ordered 10, you never know ;)

TheDoc wrote: »
    tbh they are a bit gammy mate, picked one up myself for my new S and its not great

Yeah, +1 for this.

The least you can do after spending so much money on a 360, games and a TV is to spend €20 on a decent (gold plated) HDMI cable. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TheDoc wrote: »

Uncle Wil wrote: »
    Yeah, +1 for this.

The least you can do after spending so much money on a 360, games and a TV is to spend €20 on a decent (gold plated) HDMI cable. .

Waste of time buying expensive HDMI cables, they either work or don't work as it's digital not analogue. Unless you've a long run or need special cables there's no need to spend big money on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Del2005 wrote: »
    Waste of time buying expensive HDMI cables, they either work or don't work as it's digital not analogue. Unless you've a long run or need special cables there's no need to spend big money on them.

+1

Digital signals are not susceptible to small levels of signal degradation that would affect analogue signals, gold plated cables will make absolutely no difference unless there is major degradation over long cable lengths or interference from strong magnetic fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I newer even seen xbox connected with scart lol. I was so surprised not to get atleast component cable inside. We did got it with first generation...

Got cable for 10 quid I think, works fine, newer even thought if them anymore :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think its the build quality of them that people spend on, they certainly don't warrant big money, but it's worth spending €10 on a decent cable that will last. The cheaper ones are made of really poor stuff, & I've even seen one or two that broke after little useage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think its the build quality of them that people spend on, they certainly don't warrant big money, but it's worth spending €10 on a decent cable that will last. The cheaper ones are made of really poor stuff, & I've even seen one or two that broke after little useage.

What do you use your cables for that you can break them? I put them in the back of my TV and cable box and never touch them again, that's all the usage the vast majority of cables get so there's no need to buy robust cables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Here is an article that goes into the benefit (or general lack thereof) of expensive HDMI cables. Being a digital signal, it's either on or off there's not the same 'grey' area in-between as there is with an analogue cable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Regardless of the whole hdmi cable price debate, a €2 HDMI cable is a no-brainer when comparing to composite cables the OP is currently using, do it dude

What do you use your cables for that you can break them? I put them in the back of my TV and cable box and never touch them again, that's all the usage the vast majority of cables get so there's no need to buy robust cables

I didn't say I broke them, I said I've seen broken cheap ones. I've seen two seperate ones where some of the pins/recievers have fallen out of the connectors.

I'm not advocating big expensive cables, but I do think its worth buying a half decent one (€10) just to avoid stuff like above.

Salve1 is correct, any HDMI will be a world apart from the bundled cables anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Doesnt the console still ship with the HDMI cable :confused:

bastados wrote: »
    Doesnt the console still ship with the HDMI cable :confused:

Nope. Cheap bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This by a billion and one. :)

I bought a cheap €5 one from Tesco and it does the job. No need to spend a ridiculous amount on a HDMI cable when essentially, they all do the same thing.

That_Guy wrote: »
    This by a billion and one. :)

I bought a cheap €5 one from Tesco and it does the job. No need to spend a ridiculous amount on a HDMI cable when essentially, they all do the same thing.

I dunno... I'm still not convinced. I've been stung too many times by shoddy cables (ghosting and signal breakdown). After spending ~€800 on a TV/Xbox/games, €15 or €20 on a cable isn't that much. Guess I'm just a fussy bastard.

Uncle Wil wrote: »
    I dunno... I'm still not convinced. I've been stung too many times by shoddy cables (ghosting and signal breakdown). After spending ~€800 on a TV/Xbox/games, €15 or €20 on a cable isn't that much. Guess I'm just a fussy bastard.

Badly built cables can have poor shielding etc, it's worth spending €10 or so on a half decent cable, I wouldn't spend much more than that though.

Advertisement