Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams comes to Sligo!

Options
  • 30-03-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Wow! Is it very early to get excited about this? :D
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0330/sligo.html

There's not much info - Does anyone know more? Is this going to be in Wine Street Car Park? What will happen to all the small businesses in the area?
    Anyone know where to be on the look out for construction jobs for this development?

Sorry for having so many questions in one post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'll belive this when I see it. Was reading about it on the front of the Champion today, although hey have been talking about this development since I moved to Sligo almost 5 years ago, if not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

too early to get excited then :o

I'd love to see a Debenhams here. That and the whole development, a new Tescos, Pennys, etc, would be great for the town. But with a completion expected in 2013, I would expect the bulldozers to be heading into Wine Street car park preety soon.

Apologies if sounding preety cynical about the whole thing, but like I said. The Wine Street developement has been under discussion for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Don't hold your breath! They were talking about building what is now the mid-block route when my dad moved here, and that was in 1972. Great news for the town if it happens, though. Was in town two Saturdays ago and the place was half empty. The thing about Debenhams is it will attract a lot of out-of-town shoppers into Sligo so that's a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I hope that the construction jobs go to local trades people,over the last number of years a lot of the jobs went to the trades people from the north. This is nothing personal,but these company's spent very little money in sligo during construction. I find it sicking to listen to business people in Sligo on Ocean fm harping on how it unpatriotic it is for sligo people to drive the north for their shopping yet these same people built their shops with material from the north and the wages of the trades people was spent in the north.....It gotten to the stage in Sligo that the only people who seem to be able to get jobs are either retired garda or trades men from the north!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It was the same with the new road behind kevinsfort. The county council made a hoo ha about people's duty to shop locally and supporting local jobs waffle waffle waffle, while all the time they went and awarded the contract for that job to a company in the north....

Go Figure................

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

bonzos wrote: »
    I hope that the construction jobs go to local trades people,over the last number of years a lot of the jobs went to the trades people from the north.
    I hope so too but given that the developer, Treasury Holdings, is not a local company, I can't imagine that giving jobs to local tradesmen will be foremost in their minds. Large developers tend to use the same builders over and over, although I'd hope that as much as the subcontracting work as possible would go to local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

In Sligo 13 years next month, and this was supposed to be happening then.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

Website dedicated to the project >>> http://www.sligotowncentre.com

Details of the plan in a PDF >>> http://www.sligotowncentre.com/Sligo_Brochure.pdf

• Advertisement

Website dedicated to the project >>> http://www.sligotowncentre.com

Details of the plan in a PDF >>> http://www.sligotowncentre.com/Sligo_Brochure.pdf

Was looking at that earlier, looking at the layout looks like a possible Dunnes refit, although a Tescos and Pennys refit is also desperatly needed, but wondering where the Debenhams slots in.

Now that Debenhams have agreed, would be interested in seeing updated plans and layout for the development.

Only other concern is, how do they expect to fill the units when there are currently empty ones in both the Quayside and Johnsons Centre, and the views of the local business association.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Johnny Ronans brother Connor lives in Sligo but no cant see main contractor being local but am sure some subies will get work and maybe even get paid too. This mess needs to be sorted out pronto I think Debs is just window washing on behalf of treasury but hope I am wrong. Tesco looking to move outa twon and Dunees not saying anything about nothing, local traders peed off with the deals CPOs they had/have to accept for their premises. This thing is only getting started but I will believe it when they actually start turning the sod.
    Stew the chamber has been pushing for the town centre development so wont have a problem with this. its being the reason for objecting to Tesco et all going out of town and having a dead/dormant town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

So we're going to shop our way out of recession then are we?

Yet more retail outlets and I'm guessing a few more idle apartments will be crammed in there as well. You couldn't make it up.

This plan is at least 5 years past it's sell by date imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

irish-stew wrote: »
    I'll belive this when I see it. Was reading about it on the front of the Champion today, although hey have been talking about this development since I moved to Sligo almost 5 years ago, if not before.

Indeed, I remember reading of all the wonderful plans for Sligo in the late Nineties. I was living in London at the time, when I returned in the noughties nothing had happened. Oh look it's 2011 and Debenhams are coming.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I can see we're all in agreement about holding our collective breath on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

So we're going to shop our way out of recession then are we?

Yet more retail outlets and I'm guessing a few more idle apartments will be crammed in there as well. .

Well you cant save your way out of one.
    Believe it or not there is an awful shortage of quailty housing in sligo(i am looking at places to rent at the moment)few more apartments wouldnt go a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The fact that Treasury are NAMA'ised, well most of their properties, I can't understand how they are starting a brand span new development (albeit the Wine Street redevelopment is nearly 10 years old).

I also heard not too long ago that they were to go into Quayside centre once a bit was added on. Maybe it was just a rumour I started.......here now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

few more apartments wouldnt go a miss

Good grief.

Advertisement