Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DES announces pause in new Resource hours.

• 30-03-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

This is from the INTO website -

"Allocation of Teaching Resource Hours Paused

The DES has written to the NCSE requesting the NCSE to pause sanctioning any additional resource teaching support hours until further notice.

This arises in the context of the Government employee control framework on public service numbers and the projected numbers of LS/RT posts being sanctioned at present. The DES has sought data on the number of applications made by schools and a breakdown of hours sanctioned to date from NCSE.

The INTO has raised the implications of delaying the normal processing of applications for redeployment panels and for the planning of school staffing with both the DES and NCSE. The INTO has strongly objected to this move and has sought an urgent meeting with the DES on the matter."

Absolutely crazy - no new SNAs for new children coming into the system with SEN, and now no Resource hours for them either. The situation is just getting worse and worse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

No hope of inclusion with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I thought they'd gone too far with the cap on SNAs, but this is just ridiculous. I'm furious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just as most schools have offered places...hmmmm...then down the line say,"Oh X has managed fine without resource so they mustn't need this!"

Time to talk to Joe, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I can't believe this. It is absolutely disgraceful to suggest capping resource hours on top on the SNA cap and cutting many EAL and RTT posts!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ALL children will be hit by this, less time for teacher to spend with class, because they have try to help the child a lot more,since they are not getting hours.This is just incredible.

• Advertisement

And they managed to "announce" it the day before the bank stress tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I'm wondering do parents realise this is affect ALL children. Teacher will have to have a differentiated program for special needs and this take time away from other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Absolutely disgraceful. WHY isn't there being more made about this? It actually makes me sick. SNA's are vital to a child with special needs, resource hours are vital to those children who need that extra bit of help, regardless if it's one hour a week or 5. If it keeps going like this we might as well just move back to the 1950s because that's where our education system is heading.

PcAngel wrote: »
    I'm wondering do parents realise this is affect ALL children. Teacher will have to have a differentiated program for special needs and this take time away from other children.

I really don't think most parents do realise this. It's exactly the point that needs to come across, and very strongly. I'm all for (suitable ie beneficial to the child and their peers) inclusion, but I just can't see how it can continue without full SNA assistance, and the provision of resource hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kapp

I have 5 children, 1 adopted child whom is auistic and deaf. I'm all for integration when benefitting all the children but I'm gutted to find out this news. Is there anything we can do??
    Aristotle called the disabled ' useless and without reason' . We cannot be going back towards the times when we thought anyone that acted or looked differently were 2nd class citizens. maybe our high rolling leaders would save some money for themselves if they re-opened up one big institution for us to throw all Special Needs kids into

• Advertisement

This is the latest from the INTO on it: (from Friday, 1st April)

"Update on Pausing of Resource Teaching Hours Allocation

The INTO has been in further contact with the DES in relation to the decision to pause the allocation of resource teaching hours with immediate effect.

The DES has confirmed to the INTO that no sanctions have been withdrawn. The INTO advises, therefore, that schools who have received approval for hours for the current school year may continue to fill those hours.

A number of schools have also received confirmation of roll-over allocations for the next school year. However, not all schools had been notified before the pause on allocations was announced.

The full extent of projected provision for next year is now being determined by the NCSE and DES.

The INTO is meeting with the DES next week to discuss the situation and a further update will be posted after the meeting."

So it sounds like roll-over allocations ie kids who already have them, are safe. I know some people were unsure about this. It's the new kids coming in who are going to suffer.

Advertisement