Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to proceed

• 30-03-2011 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Howya,

Looking for a bit of advice on a somewhat serious, yet some may say begrudging issue. Shayk1, Please do not lock this thread as it is a genuine thread and I am not here to troll and waste your time.

It has come to my attention that a classmate of mine has over the course of the year, turned in several assignments which are not the work of her own. She has acquired the work of others from previous years and simply, inserted her name in the allocated space, altered some words to bring it down to her level, contributing nothing to the assignment and henceforth gaining a creditable grade for the work which she has handed in.

Over the last few weeks I have become somewhat irritated by her antics, as she has been dropping sly remarks concerning the work load which I am burdened with at this current time. Taking for example, 'Oh your still doing the economics assignment, hate that". She made this comment the night prior to the deadline date. The scheming sly dog, yes dog, has barked up the wrong tree. She now goes about the college, happy as Larry (Murphy), with a smiley head on her, knowing full well that many of her peers are under severe pressure during these final few weeks in an attempt to meet the grades which we strive for so much. Her presence within the class room makes my blood boil.

Many will say that I am just being pedantic and should ignore her and get on with my own work. I have attempted to do so. However, this is difficult to do so when you spend several hours a day commenting on where she is going out tonight and would I like to come!. This girl has little or no pressure upon her at this time as the work that has been completed for her by others. This has allowed her to concentrate on other assignments that are due and in fact elevate other grades.

I taking the time to post this thread during a week which I have four assignments due, yet your wan, has completed her work, all of her ducks in line, the scheming slapper.
    I have confronted her on this matter, her response is one to simply dismiss me.
    Consequently, I am now thinking along the lines to bring this matter to the attention to a member of academic staff. I feel strongly about this matter and would like the opinions of others.

Please note that during these difficult times we are all in competition for a grade that will allow us to achieve a better life in gaining a creditable job and i believe that her actions are augmenting her chances w/o putting in the work.
    Under normal circumstances I would not try to take out the competition, however, I have been put in a position that I am left with no alternative action.

What course of actions should I take against this girl.

Regards,
    Happy enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm doing a course in the evening and I know for a fact that someone in my class is doing the exact same thing. Well, that was until last week.....

We have to submit our assignments through Turnitin this year except this "idiot" didn't know how it worked. His plagarism was at 97% the lecturer refused to mark it and he's in a lot of bother!

Do you not have to do the same with your assignments??

Options.....

Speak to your lecturers/Tutor firstly. Inform them of your concerns but choose your words wisely, this could be tricky.

If your assignments are submitted in both hard and soft copy a small bit of copying and pasting into google will show up the plagarism very quickly! If the student is using an assignment from last year the lecturer should still have the assignment which she is plagarising.

What it will all boil down to is whether the lecturer wants to do anything about it, if they don't and you really want to do something about it talk to your Head of Department.

If you want any info on names of people you could speak to PM me as I work in the college. I don't work in an area which i could offer any formal assistance but I can guide you in a general direction.

Don't forget, if she is doing nothing all year she ain't gonna pass the summer exams!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 HanyuPinyin

Taking for example, 'Oh your still doing the economics assignment, hate that".

Going to go out a limb here and guess you are on a business degree or some other such nonsense. Considering the workload on this type of course isn't anything major she has no excuse for not doing her own work. That's shear laziness. I say shaft the bitch if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Contra Proferentem

Going to go out a limb here and guess you are on a business degree or some other such nonsense. Considering the workload on this type of course isn't anything major she has no excuse for not doing her own work. That's shear laziness. I say shaft the bitch if you haven't already.
    Agreed.

I'm listening to them trying to spell a basic word now for their projects. I wouldn't worry too much about future employability, we're pretty much all screwed as far as that's concerned after you come with a degree from Carlow.

Advertisement