Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 19 yr old son with CP does not want to live any more

Options
  • 30-03-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

My 19 year old son says he no longer wants to live. He says he can not cope with his disability any more. He can see no future and is constantly putting himself down. No matter what we say he refuses to see any good in anything. He says he feels like he was given the wrong body as he is not able to cope with this disability any longer.

How do I help him, please I am at my witts end.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, sounds like your son is depressed at the moment which is understandable considering his age and his condition. Anybody who feels life is that worthless should really consider talking to a doctor or a psychologist about it. The fact that he has disclosed this to you is better than keeping it to himself. There is help available but finding out how to tap into it can be the difficult part. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Sorry for both of you.

Does he have hobbys and social support? Does he know other people with disability?

I imagine that sort of depression is hard to deal with, but might benefit more from counseling than medication.

Either way, any suicidal tendencies need to be addressed by a good GP, as soon as possible.

I hope he knows that you understand why he feels the way he does. In times of utter despair, empathy goes a very long way. He needs a lot of love right now, more than ever.

I hope he can rediscover some love for life, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There are plenty of people with disabilites that go to the Irish Wheelchair Association.
    I am unsure how severe or mild your sons disability is. But I know from personal experience at that age you feel that your the "only one". Which of course is not true. Which can lead to "why me?"
    What your son needs is interaction and involvement.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Getting involved in sports might help him. The IWA or Cerebral palsy sport Ireland will be able to find him a sport that is suitable. By playing sport he will meet people who are going through the same problems as he is and will hopefully find ways of overcoming them. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Liisa

I agree with guapos.
    Your son needs a positive experience. Something whitch he thinks is worth to life for! Everybody needs that: diabled or not! Seems like your son lost this thing, because he concentrates on the disability.
    What does he like? Sports, art music? Try to find something he likes and he want's to fight for!
    I hope he has the will and the strength to fight!
    I wish you the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

condra wrote: »

Either way, any suicidal tendencies need to be addressed by a good GP, as soon as possible.

Just wanted to restate that. The more I think about it, the more I think.... A member of your family is suicidal, so you ask for advice on an internet forum?

He needs a professional. In the real world. Pronto. End of story.

Advertisement