Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hear a train was cancelled

Options
  • 30-03-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

The next time it happens, can the regular train users please realise that there are PLENTY of seats available on the 33. There is no need to stand on a bus and block up the doors. I walked up the stairs(after Id waded through the bodies) and counted 7 free seats on the upper floor.

edit: I got on in Lusk, btw. To think that most, if not all of those people would have been standing since Lower Abbey Street is mental.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

The 6 train was delayed ages in malahide . Maybe a pot of them got bus to swords then 33?

either way there were a lot of peed off people in ncd this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I heard murmurs of a 7:20 train being cancelled. Well it was 7 something, not sure exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Signal failure between Howth Junction and Drogheda apparently. Was on the 6.40 myself, gave up the ghost after about an hour waiting going nowhere fast in Connolly and got the bus home from Busaras instead, can't imagine the 33 would have been much fun this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Packed isn't the word. The driver had to ask me and the other fella that got on in Lusk to "Push up while I close the doors,"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

the 33 was jammed...

i walked from pearse to abbey street to get it

2 things i noticed

1. irish people (of which im one) are the stupidest most ignorant people ive come across when it comes to queuing. To the guy who casually walked up and forced his way into the middle of the queue - the old ah theres my mate in the queue sure ill just pretend id been standing beside him - well yes that was me who told you to get off back to the end. Some people had been there ages waiting to get onto the bus.

2. the driver let FAR too many people onto the bus than was safe. whilst much appreciated im sure by the people there, I dont reckon many wouldve walked away had there been an accident. most people downstairs had no idea that there were seats becoming vacant upstairs as people got off. There were a lot of older folks and women there whom on a couple of occassions I pointed out to that there should be seats upstairs as the people had come down to get off. I preferred to stand and let someone else sit.

Also if you ARE at a bus stop and the driver points out that no he cannot take you because the bus is full, dont bloody well force your way on and refuse to get off when he asks you. one its not his fault that a bunch of train muppets (of which im also one) have hijacked your ride home and its also a pain in the ar$e for everyone else as he's just going to switch the bus off until you GET off. some people (and i understand the feeling ok?) were so stupidly rude to the driver that I was close to telling them to FO myself. The bloke is only doing a job and theres no need for that, if you have a problem, make the complaint official!!!

While im sorry that some peoples evenings were fcuked up (i got home 3.5 hours late myself) there was little need for some of the scenes at bus stops that we witnessed.

Public transport in our capital and the country at large is so utterly lacking that this has probably been the norm for the last number of years, were all in it together though, so on a once off you may have been inconvenienced, some of you lost the rag, well a little respect for your fellow commuters isnt a big ask in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Four hours it took me to get home. **** that. Iarnrod Eireann are a bunch of c|_|NTS.

what annoyed me the most was the lack of information. the train was in malahide about 35 minutes . a few people went up to the driver and asked what was wrong. it was another 10 minutes before he made announcement saying that dublin bus is accepting tickets , but did not give a reason for the problem. i was waiting about 40 mins beofre i decided to walk to swords where i got a lift half way.

but i would imagine it was a real pain for anyone going to dundalk. they would have had to get dart back to town then bus home.

the car park at rush was still packed so i would imagine there was a lot of people who were really annoyed.

for those of you with a smart phone or iphone. irish rail do have pretty much real time info on twitter. ( but i did not think of it when i was on the train)

Martron wrote: »
    what annoyed me the most was the lack of information. the train was in malahide about 35 minutes . a few people went up to the driver and asked what was wrong. it was another 10 minutes before he made announcement saying that dublin bus is accepting tickets , but did not give a reason for the problem. i was waiting about 40 mins beofre i decided to walk to swords where i got a lift half way.

but i would imagine it was a real pain for anyone going to dundalk. they would have had to get dart back to town then bus home.

the car park at rush was still packed so i would imagine there was a lot of people who were really annoyed.

for those of you with a smart phone or iphone. irish rail do have pretty much real time info on twitter. ( but i did not think of it when i was on the train)
    I was on that train as well. Some amount of people raging at the IrishRail guy. He was like Dougal from Father Ted.

in fairness there is protocol there to keep us safe. people were asking him to just drive on!!

i heard one guy talking to him . the trian driver tried to explain that at 75 mph it takes a mile and 1/4 to stop the train . the other guy was saying " well drive at 20mph!!"

i think peopel were more pissed off for wainting for nothing rather being told at the start there will be a delay.

really pain in the ass though.

Martron wrote: »
    in fairness there is protocol there to keep us safe. people were asking him to just drive on!!

i heard one guy talking to him . the trian driver tried to explain that at 75 mph it takes a mile and 1/4 to stop the train . the other guy was saying " well drive at 20mph!!"

i think peopel were more pissed off for wainting for nothing rather being told at the start there will be a delay.

really pain in the ass though.

Haha. Some people just don't get it.

Yeah, I was well annoyed at that. It was one of those days where I just wanted to be home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Has anyone seen any of the recently elected TDs use the train yet for work? I know Hawkins Street is only 5 min walk from Tara and you can easily stroll to the Dail from Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Morphéus wrote: »
    the 33 was jammed...

'1. irish people (of which im one) are the stupidest most ignorant people ive come across when it comes to queuing.'
    Agree with poster.

True. The correct procedure is to line up behind the bus stop. But what usually happens is that a crowd fans out in a semi-circle. The bus arrives the crowd intensifies around the spot the door is expected open, rather like a pygmy tribe attacking an elephant. I was on the 7.30 33 the other night and was one of the first on because I queued at the stop as I always do. I know there were other people in the region of the stop there before me - but they weren't queuing for the bus. When it arrived the loungers at the wall assumed the upright position and began their ritual scrum. Bus inspectors don't enforce queues like they used to.

Advertisement