Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prejudice Against Big Dogs- Bigdogism!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

The thing that gets me most about owning a medium/big dog is that when some people with small dogs walk past you get comments like "Your dog must be looking at my dog and thinking Dinner" or "Kill Kill". Its the husbands/boyfriends saying this as their out walking with their partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

this is why I have always wanted a big dog. I find the small ones are yappy and attack anything that moves, but the owners think it's ok because they're small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I hear more prejudice against small dogs really! That they are yappy and aggressive and not friendly, but you can't just say all large breeds or all small breeds are the same, that's crazy.

My small dogs have never tried to attack another dog or even a mouse. :)

Personality isn't based on size, but on breed and how they were raised and what their parents were like to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

ISDW wrote: »
    I am a medium to large dog person, simply because I like that size of dogs. But I do think this thread is a bit silly, yes I understand people's frustration about how people react to their big dog, but to then show the same attitude towards small dogs is er, hypocritical:D If you have a problem with other dog owners, then its a problem with other dog owners surely, regardless of size of their dog? Irresponsible dog ownership is irresponsible dog ownership, it doesn't matter what dog it is that isn't being looked after properly.

Responsible dog owners of the world unite (please:))

Thank you so much this is exactly what I was trying to say. You are so much more eloquent than me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

ISDW wrote: »
    Irresponsible dog ownership is irresponsible dog ownership, it doesn't matter what dog it is that isn't being looked after properly.

Responsible dog owners of the world unite (please:))

I think this point is very relevent.. It's a lot more to do with the owners, not the dogs themselves!

I work in a pet shop and have had to go up to people who bring their dogs in (which i do love) and tell them to put their dogs on a lead, in a shop!!!! These people shouldn't have dogs, and no matter how many times i have to talk to new doggy owners, some of them just turn a blind eye.
    People who blatently let their dog off lead in public should be reported, unless in a dog park/enclosed garden playing etc... It's silly, i hate the thought of a dog being enclosed/tied up/confined but in reality because of silly dog owners that's what some of us have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tatabubbly wrote: »
    I think this point is very relevent.. It's a lot more to do with the owners, not the dogs themselves!

I work in a pet shop and have had to go up to people who bring their dogs in (which i do love) and tell them to put their dogs on a lead, in a shop!!!! These people shouldn't have dogs, and no matter how many times i have to talk to new doggy owners, some of them just turn a blind eye.
    People who blatently let their dog off lead in public should be reported, unless in a dog park/enclosed garden playing etc... It's silly, i hate the thought of a dog being enclosed/tied up/confined but in reality because of silly dog owners that's what some of us have to do.

Sorry but why should they be reported?:confused: There is no law to state your dog has to be on a lead at all times (unless its a RB) so i cant see why you would report them?

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but why should they be reported?:confused: There is no law to state your dog has to be on a lead at all times (unless its a RB) so i cant see why you would report them?

Sorry! I meant if they were constantly harassing people..

There's a terrier dog near us, and i swear, my girl is neutered but every time we walk out of the cul de sac, he is out loose, barking like mad, trying to get on top of her.. I do pity the poor thing cos it's the owners fault. I've tried taking to the owner to no avail, but i'd love to be able to report it..I can't avoid walking there as it's the only way out, so i kinda have to put up with it..

The RB list is a joke, in my opinion, instead, i think all doggie owners should go to doggy classes before they get a dog! we'd have nout to complain about then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Me and my mum were just talking about this thread on our short walk with the puppies this evening. We had three shelties with us, one of which was only around 7 months old and this man was jogging towards us. He took one look at us and turned around and jogged in the opposite direction! Me and mum couldn't stop laughing. I get that not all people like dogs but most go around or cross the road, I couldn't believe that he would just run the other direction. Because of shelties of all things, they are so timid and shy (or at least ours are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

That can be a thing about smaller dogs: people who know nothing about dogs whatsoever will consider them a toy to be picked up or generally manhandled just because they're small. I did have someone try that nonsense when mine were pups and I told him to knock it off. When he asked me if they would bite him, I told him probably not but that I would!

Some people can make me so punchy over my dogs that some days I feel like I should be on the RB list.

When my dogs are out walking with me, they tend not to worry too much about other dogs. I, on the other hand, am the one practically squeeing at whatever gorgeous dog is coming towards me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Sorry! I meant if they were constantly harassing people..

There's a terrier dog near us, and i swear, my girl is neutered but every time we walk out of the cul de sac, he is out loose, barking like mad, trying to get on top of her.. I do pity the poor thing cos it's the owners fault. I've tried taking to the owner to no avail, but i'd love to be able to report it..I can't avoid walking there as it's the only way out, so i kinda have to put up with it..

The RB list is a joke, in my opinion, instead, i think all doggie owners should go to doggy classes before they get a dog! we'd have nout to complain about then! :)

Ah right, thats different then, thats more roaming, loose dogs as opposed to off lead dogs and yes, i absolutely hate loose, roaming dogs too:mad:

I would call the dog warden, would sort that out pretty quick id say if you report it as being a nuiscence (sp?).

• Advertisement

I would andreac but i have a feeling they wouldn't be too kind to me, and it's a perfect house for my girl...

Roaming is the word i was searching for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Haven't read the whole thread so maybe point was already made but consider this. If someone had a fear of dogs, which a lot of people do, which are they going to be more afraid of a big dog or a small dog. Obviously a big dog, nothing to do with them thinking it is more aggresive, but simply the fact that there is a big difference between the damage a Little terrier could do compared to a GSD or Rottweiler.

I would be wary myself of some of the larger breeds of dogs, in fact I'm a bit wary of any dog I don't know. And I hate to say it and wish it wasn't that way but I would be more wary of a GSD or Rottweiler than a big fluffy Newfoundland or a Labrador, it is completely unrational I know, but it is ingrained in me, and will take a long time to change.

Once I get to know a dog it doesn't matter and I generally do like to get to know dogs.

For example I give grinds and once of students lives out country and has a GSD, first time I went dogs runs around from back of house barking. I didn't get out of car til the mother came out because I'd no idea what the dog was like, now had this dog been a JRT there is more chance I'd of got out as had the dog gone to attack me, I could have probably given a bit of a kick and jumped back into car, where as if a the GSD had of gone for me it could potentially have done a lot of damage.

Now I know the dog a bit better, although he still does bark at me a fair bit, there is no problem.

The point I'm trying to make anyway is people may well be more scared of big dogs for what is a resonable reason. Its more their problem than yours anyway, so I'd try not to think of it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. I have been feeling much better since I posted. I was almost on the verge of making my husband walk our dog instead of me as the few rude people I've met had stressed me out so much. However I have the new attitude that I am proud of my lovely boxer and wont let a few negative encounters stop me bringing him places.

As for smaller dogs, I have no problem with them and never intended this thread to become big dog v's small dog. It seems that all dog owners have prejudice and ignorance to content with sometimes eh but they are so worth it:)

Advertisement