Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books dealing with bullying

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

My big friendly gentle giant of a 10 year old boy is having trouble in school with one of the boys. We've talked to teacher and hopefully its under control but hes still getting upset and worrying about it. I was thikning an age appropraite book might help him work through some of his feelings. What he needs to do is just give this fella a shove but hes just too gentle! ANy ideas most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Martial arts training might help. It will build up his confidence and teach him how to defend himself safely (without excessive aggression).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Hes been doing tkd since hes 5! He just never stands up for himself - well only with us he does. Im sure once the testerone kicks in maybe itll change. he has aspegers so it can be difficult to sometime see how he views the world. Hes very high functioning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭flowerchild

It's tricky when he may seem both different and large, and yet may be very vulnerable at the same time.

Martial arts is great, particularly with a provider that is very supportive. Lots of love and cuddles, of course, and I am sure that you are doing that.

Maybe lots of 'what if' casual conversations to help him know how to react to/protect himself in situations and still be within a good range of behaviours. His syndrome may mean that he does not pick up on cues in quite the way of other kids. But I do not know much about it. Maybe he gets far too many cues and shuts down from that.

I keep coming back to lots of love.

Advertisement