Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S Super Soya

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried out the new vegetarian range from M&S? I wonder if any of them are vegan...would love to find out the ingredients! Anyone know already?!

http://health.marksandspencer.com/our-health-ranges/super-soya

'If you're vegetarian, or just looking to cut down on the amount of meat you eat, you'll love our delicious new Super Soya range. We've spent nearly a year developing these meals and ingredients to make sure they taste as great as you'd expect - and of course they have no artificial flavourings or unnecessary additives. There are three tasty main meals to choose from: Super Soya Lasagne, Super Soya Cottage Pie and Super Soya Strips in Black Bean Sauce with Rice. You'll find Super Soya Mince and Super Soya Strips, too, which are ideal for cooking up your own favourite recipes.
    The range uses soya as protein, which is a great substitute for meat protein as it provides all the essential amino acids that your body needs. It's also low in fat and can help to reduce cholesterol if you include around 25g a day in your diet.
    For further information about Soya please click here.
    Our Super Soya range sits alongside our Lovely Vegetables range, which we launched earlier this year, giving vegetarians and those who choose not to each much meat lots of fantastic choice.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I have never heard of the range. I hope it's not a UK only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Heres the M&S vegan list, can only see Meat Free Soya Mince on it that could be from that Super Soya range.

http://health.marksandspencer.com/uploads/pdfs/vegan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Saw the range in Jervis/Mary Street branch, it looks good. Not all products were vegan though, some were vegetarian which is a shame.

The Super Soya and Lovely Vegetables range looked delicious but i haven't tried any yet. I was a bit baffled as to why they are on a different aisle completely from the normal vegetarian range (which seems to be getting smaller and smaller each year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

The chunks/giant pieces look really nice. But the entire range has egg in it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I've had the black bean one a couple times now, was pretty good! I'm just a sucker for black bean sauce though... They're particularly cheap in M&S on Grafton Street atm as a "new product" sort of deal, which I, as a student, appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Aoifums wrote: »
    The chunks/giant pieces look really nice. But the entire range has egg in it :(

The mince doesn't have egg in it. I had some last night in a bolognese-y sauce, it was great.

The mince doesn't have egg in it. I had some last night in a bolognese-y sauce, it was great.

Nice! Where did you buy it? The M&S on Grafton St only seemed to have the chunks, the pie, the lasagne and the one with black bean sauce.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm going to check these out next time I'm in one of the larger M&S shops, I loved cottage pie before I was veggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

Just what we need, a new "vegetarian" range of products containing eggs.

Nice! Where did you buy it? The M&S on Grafton St only seemed to have the chunks, the pie, the lasagne and the one with black bean sauce.

I got it on grafton st - maybe they had just run out?

• Advertisement

g_moriarty wrote: »
    Just what we need, a new "vegetarian" range of products containing eggs.

It's still vegetarian if it contains eggs. There is no need to look down on a product containing eggs or those who eat it.
    I got it on grafton st - maybe they had just run out?

Hopefully. Or I'm blind!

It's still vegetarian if it contains eggs. There is no need to look down on a product containing eggs or those who eat it.
    Technically ovo vegetarian, if one wants to be pedantic I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haven't had any of these yet, can't wait to try!

Hopefully. Or I'm blind!

I popped in yesterday and they had it, just to the right of the strips ;)

Technically ovo vegetarian, if one wants to be pedantic I suppose.

Still vegetarian!

Perhaps it's the view-point of using free-range eggs that might concern some vegetarians? Not all meat-substitutes would use free-range.

Still vegetarian!
    Depends on your definition of vegetarian - some people consider "true" vegetarianism to actually be veganism, and what we normally call vegetarianism to be ovo-lacto vegetarianism. But yeah, pedantics.

Perhaps it's the view-point of using free-range eggs that might concern some vegetarians? Not all meat-substitutes would use free-range.

Free range or not, the egg industry is still as horrific as any meat industry. Even companies who sell free range eggs still shred newborn male chicks at birth because they are surplus to requirements. I believe debeaking, and other cruel procedures are also carried out to free range chickens. They are slaughtered exactly the same as non-free range chickens too (hung by their legs, head sliced off, bled to death, scalded in boiling water, etc). How anyone can call themselves vegetarian and consume eggs is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

g_moriarty wrote: »
    Free range or not, the egg industry is still as horrific as any meat industry. Even companies who sell free range eggs still shred newborn male chicks at birth because they are surplus to requirements. I believe debeaking, and other cruel procedures are also carried out to free range chickens. They are slaughtered exactly the same as non-free range chickens too (hung by their legs, head sliced off, bled to death, scalded in boiling water, etc). How anyone can call themselves vegetarian and consume eggs is baffling.

so basically only vegans are pure enough for you? that's your view, mine is that every little helps.

i thought this was a thread for discussing a particular product, maybe i mis-read it because of my innate cruelty and delusion in calling myself a vegetarian when I eat eggs and dairy products.

so basically only vegans are pure enough for you? that's your view, mine is that every little helps.

i thought this was a thread for discussing a particular product, maybe i mis-read it because of my innate cruelty and delusion in calling myself a vegetarian when I eat eggs and dairy products.

Where did I say "pure enough" ? Jeez, everything I said was true. And yes, whether it's a popular opinion or not (that doesn't concern me) the fact is that participating in the purchase and consumption of eggs whether free-range or not is funding and encouraging cruelty to chickens.

• Advertisement

Super Soya range is no longer on offer in M&S on Grafton Street, so I'll only be having it on special occasions now. : (

Alright, enough off topic posts. Back to Super Soya discussion, or start a new thread.

sweet-rasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Does anyone know if they stock this range in M&S Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

To be honest it looks sort of bland and is quite expensive, I wouldn't be particularly tempted to buy it.

Advertisement