Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork and broadband

• 30-03-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all,

I recently moved to Cork and want to get internet into my apartment. I have already went down the route of upc but they are unavailable. I was thinking about getting in one of the mobile broadband and had decided on 3 and went in today to get there modem (not the mmobile broadband, the one you can connect up a few devices) and the guy said I would only realistically get 1meg speeds out of it despite it quoting near 8.

So my question, what is the fastest mobile broadband going in cork?

Or not withstanding that, what is the best choice for the area with the overall package of speed and cap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Hey all,

I recently moved to Cork and want to get internet into my apartment. I have already went down the route of upc but they are unavailable. I was thinking about getting in one of the mobile broadband and had decided on 3 and went in today to get there modem (not the mmobile broadband, the one you can connect up a few devices) and the guy said I would only realistically get 1meg speeds out of it despite it quoting near 8.

So my question, what is the fastest mobile broadband going in cork?

Or not withstanding that, what is the best choice for the area with the overall package of speed and cap.

Depends on where in Cork you are, what's your location (nearest Town etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mullthedrummer

apoligies, I am living in Douglas so pretty central to Cork City

Personally, I've found none of the Mobile BB providers to be that much use, the best I've tried is the O2 Mobile BB dongle, however depending upon the time you use it you'd be lucky to get above 1Mb download, and pretty horrible ping times.

(To be honest I'd go with a fixed line BB package like Vodafone (I have this) and I get almost 6.5Mb consistantly, you do need a land line though.)

I'd try the O2, you can try it and cancel the contract in 7 days if you're not happy with it.

i was looking at the Vodafone one and there seems to be a land line coming into the apartment. Will have to call inot them and have a chat. Not sure if the line is active but assume they can sort that out or tell me where to go for it.

Was also looking at Magnet as well. Seem to have good deal on 8Mb connection. But Vodafone seems the more likly right now (tho I change my mind every day)

Have heard some bad press on their end but I am also seeing hta tit is down to the individual rather than as a whole. Everyone gets a different experience based on location/time of day using/usage. The stats you said sound good.

if anyone can answer would be great regarding Vodafone in Douglas or the Cork area.

what line ratio are it is? (~21:1 or a dedicated line),

Where is the exchange?

• Advertisement

Here's the Eircom exchange map, hope it helps

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/your-area.asp?id=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You could try Nova, but you will need a good line-of-sight

http://www.novanetworks.ie/

Advertisement