Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bucket of Grease

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

where to get same ......

looking for something to put on a wall to stop a few scumbags hanging around an elderly friends house........was thinking engine grease

would guess a garage but anybody got any other ideas

Comments

You mean waste engine oil ? Or actual grease used on CV joints and the like? If it's the latter it's quite expensive stuff for what you are thinking of doing with it. I reckon you'd be better off thinking up a new plan tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I don't think that will work ... Pity the days are gone when you could line the top of the wall with embedded glass. Best bet is to put up a few fake security boxes (get ones with the LED flashing if possibly) and some motion activated lights around the house (or even low cost ones on all the time). Is there a neighbourhood watch scheme around the area? Might be worth saying it to the guards too, who might at least swing around once or twice through the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

This ought to do the trick (assuming they're youths)! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Paint the wall. or put breadcrumbs on the wall to attract birds, let the birds make it less inviting

If your set on the paint method
    Wet paint sign,,, http://www.paintshop.ie/Anti-Vandal-System/Anti-Intruder-Paint.aspx

Or recap the wall with something less inviting to sit on, bricks at a 45deg or a pointed cap stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Anti burglar paint is €20/750 ml one may not be enough

Was hoping garages might have some waste gunk/grease I could use
    Not interested in spending too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Some multi-purpose grease should do. try some agricultural/farm machinery places, they should either have it in tube/bucket form. Couldn't tell you a price, but would be a lot less then that paint me thinks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Some multi-purpose grease should do. try some agricultural/farm machinery places, they should either have it in tube/bucket form. Couldn't tell you a price, but would be a lot less then that paint me thinks!

its around €65 for the drum of it so not cheap. otherwise €3 per cartiage which are about half the size of a prinagle box

its around €65 for the drum of it so not cheap. otherwise €3 per cartiage which are about half the size of a prinagle box

€65, wow, well sure you'd do a good few walls with that! :P

I used to use it in bulk at work, so I never had to worry about the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

There was a similar thread awhile back about the legalities of putting harmful stuff on a wall.

The most useful information that came out of that as far as I remember was that if the wall is under 7ft tall and an individual harmed themselves or their property (tracksuit;))could potentially sue said owner of the property for damages to themselves or their clothing.

Also the mosquito thing? Anyone can do this with the right equipment (hidden speakers) and free downloaded software to easily generate a tone that only kids can hear. When the volume is icreased to full it hurts their ears and forces them to move away. I have tried and tested it and it does work.

I tested it briefly in my immediate area and drove slightly annoying kids away from my place in a very short time using a very simple implemtation of this tech. However it is worth noting that it should only be used in a real problem situation i.e. a localised problem where teens are causing hassle and not a public area where innocent toddlers and babies are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Put down a (dead) fish every week, the smell will drive them away

• Advertisement

themonboys wrote: »
    Put down a (dead) fish every week, the smell will drive them away
    and attract vermin......

greased as for anyone injuring themselves ......i couldn't give a 4uck if they do,wont cost me a thought

it will be done in darkness by myself this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Or you could just have a strong word with the group of youths in the cold light of day instead of sneaking around in the dead of night planting traps a la Kevin McAllister in Home Alone.

If my innocent child was hurt by your disregard i'd have your guts for garters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

sok2005 wrote: »
    Or you could just have a strong word with the group of youths in the cold light of day instead of sneaking around in the dead of night planting traps a la Kevin McAllister in Home Alone.

But then your innocent child is unlikely to be hurt as if he is innocent, then he would not be on the wall giving elderly folk grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

johnayo wrote: »
    But then your innocent child is unlikely to be hurt as if he is innocent, then he would not be on the wall giving elderly folk grief.

Ok, for one, my child is not even 2 years old yet, the most grief he can give elderly folk is singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" too loudly.

My point is, when grease is put on a wall, not everyone who is passing it will necessarily be a good for nothing thug, it could be another elderly person who may need some support when walking, it could be a kid simply wheeling a dinky across it.

If there is an issue and the person is unable to deal with the certain group of youths personally they can call the guards to get them moved on. I dont think some grease on a wall will deter them, it will more than likely spur them on to harass the elderly folk further.

What's the height of this wall again?

sok2005 wrote: »

Gaurds have been trying to sort these guys/girls but cant do a lot,its not a major issue in their day to day business they swing by every other day or when they get a call

your 2 yr old or any old person will have no reason to be near/on the wall,its not a low garden wall,you've got to climb it to get on it,so having my guts for any type to butchery/clothing fetish your into wont be happening;)

as for Home Alone it was a funny movie and if it is possible to film one of these scumbags getting a nice fall off the wall I'll post it here for your viewing .....

If you were elderly,in fear and on your own,having contacted the gaurds.....I suggest you'd be glad of any means used to move them on....I know I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Could you plant a thorny hedge inside it and leave it grow over the wall? Not exactly instant but worth considering longterm maybe.

no not on concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Sometimes this is the only way to deal with the scum:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Anti climbing paint comes to mind. The stuff never dries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-climb_paint

I remember seeing a few lads get destroyed with the stuff over in Edinburgh. IIRC, it doesnt come out of clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

I have the same problem. Iv just moved into a place and im lucky that the place is a decent estate but i have caught a few young lads getting over. There is also a few students there and i caught one of em getting over after a ball and i told him in no uncertain terms what would happen if he did it again(apart from getting his ****ty kilkenny jersey wrecked by whatever i put on the wall).

I just want to put stuff up so the little ****s wont get over when im not in the house.

At the end of the day nobody should be getting over your wall and in or on your property.

Advertisement