Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An interesting blog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dude111 wrote: »
    GAMES MADE TODAY ARE COMPLETE TRASH COMPARED TO STUFF WE HAD IN THE 80s.. No doubt about that!

Sounds like someones' playing the wrong games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://pauljessup.com/2008/10/17/i-dont-find-video-games-much-fun-anymore

This replies keep building with people who feel the same way!!

GAMES MADE TODAY ARE COMPLETE TRASH COMPARED TO STUFF WE HAD IN THE 80s.. No doubt about that!

Complete arse, we recall 80s games with a simplistic attitude.

and yet we have the ability to replay everyone of those games and yet dont. I intend to finish crystal castles one day, highly unlikely tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I couldn't disagree more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much from the NEs onwards the quality of good games has been consistent. What is happening here is this guy is looking back with the entire back catalogue of games from a system or decade and comparing it to what comes out in a short space of time now. There was just as much crap games and good games released back then as now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the goalposts have shifted massively in terms of whats great and what **** though. you take the single worst game you can think of that was released in the last 3 years, and slap it in the 80s and youve got a groundbreaking title that'd be worshipped for decades to come

everything builds on everything else

but for very rare exceptions, the worst of games these days are better than the best of games from the 80s for the most part. its just that when we were younger, and gaming was newer, everything seemed great because there was an element of freshness to most stuff

games are better than theyve ever been, we just dont appreciate it because we're jaded, because we demand instant gratification, and because we've got so much good stuff to choose from that we dismiss above average experiences as crap

youve only to look at the mentality that anything scoring below 85% is rubbish that exists among gamers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Helix wrote: »
    the goalposts have shifted massively in terms of whats great and what **** though. you take the single worst game you can think of that was released in the last 3 years, and slap it in the 80s and youve got a groundbreaking title that'd be worshipped for decades to come

everything builds on everything else

but for very rare exceptions, the worst of games these days are better than the best of games from the 80s for the most part. its just that when we were younger, and gaming was newer, everything seemed great because there was an element of freshness to most stuff

games are better than theyve ever been, we just dont appreciate it because we're jaded, because we demand instant gratification, and because we've got so much good stuff to choose from that we dismiss above average experiences as crap

youve only to look at the mentality that anything scoring below 85% is rubbish that exists among gamers

+1

I would even say: alot of gamers have pink glasses when to look at old games they loved back in the day.

There were good games, and there were **** games. We did not had much of the choise

I got a sega collection on xbox. There were loads of titles I loved when I was a kid, but I had that disc in xbox only 3 times...

Games still are good, but I could not believe that moist of those games I played 8 hours in a row for years and years...

You did not had reviews back in the day... You bought the game by looking at picture or name. Even if game was ****, we still played it, as it was a new experience.

I loved demolition racing and army men on ps1, I got it on car boot sale for 2 quid. When I piped it up in to ps3 I could not play more then 20 mins... It was outdated and looked horrible, controls felt outdated.

Sometimes it's better keep you childhood heroes in memories and do not confront them anymore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

http://pauljessup.com/2008/10/17/i-dont-find-video-games-much-fun-anymore

This replies keep building with people who feel the same way!!

If you said 90's then maybe, but even then overall the quality just is not comparable regardless OF HOW CAPS LOCK YOUR POSTS ARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't think games are less "fun" i think i'm less "fun" when i was 5 i was amazed by pressing a button i could move a character on screen. At 32 that novelty has worn off ...a little..:D.

At the same time i gave my 5 year old nephew the PS Move with a simple game that involves hitting chickens with a tennis racket, i didn't think it was too much fun but he nearly burst with laughter. Im sure in 20 years he will be saying games have lost there fun appeal too that all this super realistic graphics have lost the appeal of the chicken game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You did not had reviews back in the day... You bought the game by looking at picture or name.

Nonsense I had Crash and ZX Sinclair to guide me and bar Jetpac and the other free games I got with my sepccy it had to get a good review from these boys or I wasn't going near it. I had no money for a start. I remember making a very serious investment into Starquake and buying it in the local electrical shop as there was no such thing as a games shop. Turned out to be a good investment though. Put many a good hour into that classic.

The one thing that stood out to me then was despite being limited to 48k (or 64k if you were a posh C64 owner) the games got better and better. Developers these days. Overpaid and lazy. And you try and tell that to the youth of today and they won't believe you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

mewso wrote: »
    The one thing that stood out to me then was despite being limited to 48k (or 64k if you were a posh C64 owner) the games got better and better. Developers these days. Overpaid and lazy. And you try and tell that to the youth of today and they won't believe you...
    Know why they won't believe you? Because you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'd give you reasons why but that post displayed such a staggering level of ignorance that I'd be simply wasting my time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I strongly disagree that gaming is better now than it was in the past. I also disagree that it's any worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gizmo wrote: »
    Know why they won't believe you? Because you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'd give you reasons why but that post displayed such a staggering level of ignorance that I'd be simply wasting my time.

Wow not a Monty Python fan then. I'll re-post with explanatory notes:-

[Experience from youth so accusation of ignorance unfair]
    Nonsense I had Crash and ZX Sinclair to guide me and bar Jetpac and the other free games I got with my sepccy it had to get a good review from these boys or I wasn't going near it. I had no money for a start. I remember making a very serious investment into Starquake and buying it in the local electrical shop as there was no such thing as a games shop. Turned out to be a good investment though. Put many a good hour into that classic.
    [/Experience from youth so accusation of ignorance unfair]

[Taking the Piss]
    [/Taking the Piss]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Wow not a Monty Python fan then. I'll re-post with explanatory notes:-

[Experience from youth so accusation of ignorance unfair]
    [/Experience from youth so accusation of ignorance unfair]

[Taking the Piss]
    [/Taking the Piss]
    Damn, knew I should have included a disclaimer in case you had been joking. My bad :o

good for you, where i came from i was lucky to get a GAME. i did not knew english. I finished jap versions of games, just by remembering simbols and what they did lol. i newer even knew release callnders, i was just going to market or local underground shop and bought a game that i heard people and friends say good lol.

gizmo wrote: »
    Damn, knew I should have included a disclaimer in case you had been joking. My bad :o

You must be an over-stressed game developer then. The one thing games in the 80s taught me is enormous respect for games developers. Publishers on the other hand...

good for you, where i came from i was lucky to get a GAME. i did not knew english. I finished jap versions of games, just by remembering simbols and what they did lol. i newer even knew release callnders, i was just going to market or local underground shop and bought a game that i heard people and friends say good lol.

Well the magazines were a lot easier to get your hands on in those days. I have just been perusing the Crash archive. Brings back some memories:-

1985 readers awards
    1986 readers awards

The mags would also often have games that you could enter into your speccy yourself. Pages upon pages of code in a games magazine and I would sit and code them in myself for days. Ah memories.

Well the magazines were a lot easier to get your hands on in those days. I have just been perusing the Crash archive. Brings back some memories:-

1985 readers awards
    1986 readers awards

The mags would also often have games that you could enter into your speccy yourself. Pages upon pages of code in a games magazine and I would sit and code them in myself for days. Ah memories.

i know there were magazines, but you got to admit, its waaaaaaaaay more magaznes, internet websites these days.

its more accsesable. some reviewers said game is ****, the rest of the sheep starts to moan that games were better before ;) .

it was very correct pointed out by some poster in this thread: " it was amazing to see a pixel move by pressing a button" :D . so if you sow a group of pixels move back in the day it was EPIC! If a game would have some sort of voice acting - EPICNESS! well i hope you understand where i go with it :D

one of the biggest reason people still in love with some games from youth - they want that wow factor to come back... i would kill, to get that feeling i had when i was a small kid playing games on NES. 5 hour play felt like 5 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Im not sure if games are more difficult to make now i would presume so but at the same time they have super computers and game engines to build games and render backgrounds etc now.

I remember doing some scripting on an old ZX spectrum and it would take me an hour to type it all in and all that would happen is the screen would change colour ! Long before copy and paste came along.

Overall i am still enjoying games but ive often stopped after a long session with pains in the jaw from clenching teeth too hard, which cant be good for me!

Advertisement