Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant question

Options
  • 31-03-2011 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I am living in an apartment a good distance from Dublin city. Where I work at the moment is handy as I can drive to work without much trouble. I recently got offered a new job and we need to move apartment. The year lease is up next week and I am wondering how much notice must I give before I move out? I don't want to leave the landlord hanging as he was good to us while we were here. We had no problems at all so far. We are looking at houses in a certain party of Dublin, just outside the city as it will be easier for both of us to get to work and reduce our travel expenses. Thing is, there isn't a lot of nice places to rent for a decent price. When we do see a nice place we would like to move to the availability is usualy immediately, leaving us in a bit of a rut.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

If the lease ends next week, technically you dont have to give any notice, just move out on the last day

However, you should let your LL know in writing that you wont be renewing the lease and arrange an inspection visit on the last day. Take pictures and agree on return of deposit, preferably on the same day as long as everything is in order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I am living in an apartment a good distance from Dublin city. Where I work at the moment is handy as I can drive to work without much trouble. I recently got offered a new job and we need to move apartment. The year lease is up next week and I am wondering how much notice must I give before I move out? I don't want to leave the landlord hanging as he was good to us while we were here. We had no problems at all so far. We are looking at houses in a certain party of Dublin, just outside the city as it will be easier for both of us to get to work and reduce our travel expenses. Thing is, there isn't a lot of nice places to rent for a decent price. When we do see a nice place we would like to move to the availability is usualy immediately, leaving us in a bit of a rut.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Check the lease but usual notice period is 28 days. If something is available immediately just pay the deposit to secure it and you can then move in at later date and pay the months rent on the day you move. That's what I did when I moved to my current place (which I absolutely love - definitely the nicest apartment/area I've lived in yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I had something similar happen a few years back. The LL had been a really great LL and if I'd choice I'd have stayed but had to move so I had a chat with them to say I wouldn't be signing a new lease but wasn't 100% sure when I was moving so we came to a deal that I'd pay weekly rent, give them at least a weeks notice and leave the flat ready for viewings. I let them know I was moving on a Monday and would be out the Friday, they collected keys and returned deposit the Friday evening and had a load of viewings ready to go on the saturday and the place was rented again by the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Depends on the lease, some if you gave a months deposit to him then a months notice, 2 months deposit then 2 months notice. They usually dont like handing back money, but if you've had no problems with them maybe just run it past him & take it from there. If he's been good to you, dont drop him in the 5#1T. He could have a mortgage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

If the lease ends next week, technically you dont have to give any notice, just move out on the last day

However, you should let your LL know in writing that you wont be renewing the lease and arrange an inspection visit on the last day. Take pictures and agree on return of deposit, preferably on the same day as long as everything is in order

I don't think that's true. OP you're on a fixed term tenancy at the moment which will just revert to a periodic tenancy once the lease is finished. The landlord is still entitled to 35 days notice as the lease is between 6 months and 1 year. So if you just up sticks and leave he will be entitled to keep your deposit.

If you have a good relationship with your landlord then explain your situation to him and i'm sure ye can sort something reasonable out. All this law and legislation doesn't really matter if you just talk to each other and come to an agreement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ah I called him this morning, said I got a job in an area I would have to move to and he was ok with it, he said he needed 1 months notice which is fine, we paid the remainder of next month in advance. Thing is, the letting agency have called us today already and said (didn't ask), that they would be out tomorrow (friday) at 5 to show the house to people. We were not happy and declined. We have a lot of expensive stuff in our apartment and are not willing to have people wander around it while we are not there. It's also a matter of privacy. Why would they be on the search so early? We said they could come any time at the weekend and after 6 while we are home. Is this fair?

Can the letting agency just arrive when they want? I hope this is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Of course that is fair & fully understandable. You dont want any strange prying eyes while your not there. Just ring them and say it doesn't suit you. Let them know the times that do suit. If its a matter of urgency for the LL & you've a good relationship with him & you reckon you can trust him you could maybe let him sit in while the viewers are viewing. If that doesn't suit either then just say no. The place is yours until a) your lease expires or b) you've handed back the keys. They have no right to get people in viewing if your not happy with it & if stuff went missing, it would most certainly fall back on whomever the key holder was for the letting agency.

Advertisement