Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-workers that stink

Options
  • 31-03-2011 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

There's a guy I work with that absolutely stinks. Worst body odour ever. It was so bad today that at one point when he walked past me that I completely choked up and started coughing. It really was that bad. He sits quite close to me so this happens frequently.

The question is what to do about it? Does this type of thing fall under health and safety regulations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Hang a magic tree off his ears. Lol. No but seriously it's a tough one, freshener on your desk might help.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

In my last job there was a guy that absolutely stunk. Got to the stage where the manager sent him home, told him to shower and change his clothes and if he came in smelling badly again there would be disciplinary measures. He was a bad case and a couple of team leaders had spoken to him before it went that far. I think he had a gland problem but didn't wash on top of that.

People around him thought it was coming off themselves first and were disgusted with the smell.

I'd say it to your direct manager quietly and maybe ask them to have a word if they think it warrents it. Nothing worse than sitting beside a stinky pants.

You would think one warning would be enough to shame someone into being cleaner but not this guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I've mentioned it in passing to my manager but nothing was said that I heard about. Nothing has changed anyway. Noticed that he had a can of Lynx on his desk today, obviously hasn't figured out how to use it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jackothefern

I'm replying to this post because I've had personal experience of body odour caused by a medical condition as opposed to poor hygiene and the subsequent jibes from co-workers. Now I don't know if this guy has got poor hygiene and just needs a wake up call in this department which some people obviously do. Just some questions to Surley if your reading this;

1) Could it be possible that this person has a medical condition that causes the body odour?.

2) If he did would you give a s**t ( ohhh snap!! ).

I've had to listen to and still listen to some of the most childish humiliating comments I've ever had to endure in my life. Constantly throughout the day , over and over again. It has taken every ounce of my self control to not retort or even confront these jibe makers while out socially which would please some of them greatly I suspect.

Just because somebody has a body odour problem it doesn't necessarily mean that they neglect to bathe or are blasting of silent farts into their office chair because they're too lazy to go to the jacks.

Yes some people are just unhygienic slobs but please at least entertain the possibility that some people have genuine clinical reasons for not smelling great and give them a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Spray some glade every time he walks past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Get yer armpits botoxed...thats what all the celebs do...saves them having sweaty pits when they are being photographed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I'm replying to this post because I've had personal experience of body odour caused by a medical condition as opposed to poor hygiene and the subsequent jibes from co-workers. Now I don't know if this guy has got poor hygiene and just needs a wake up call in this department which some people obviously do. Just some questions to Surley if your reading this;

1) Could it be possible that this person has a medical condition that causes the body odour?.

I've had to listen to and still listen to some of the most childish humiliating comments I've ever had to endure in my life. Constantly throughout the day , over and over again. It has taken every ounce of my self control to not retort or even confront these jibe makers while out socially which would please some of them greatly I suspect.

Just because somebody has a body odour problem it doesn't necessarily mean that they neglect to bathe or are blasting of silent farts into their office chair because they're too lazy to go to the jacks.

Yes some people are just unhygienic slobs but please at least entertain the possibility that some people have genuine clinical reasons for not smelling great and give them a break.

Could it be possible that you have worked with a bunch of immature muppets? Because this guy never gets jibes from co-workers. And whether it's because he's an unhygienic slob or has a medical condition, he still stinks and the rest of us have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Make it your manager's problem: that's what s/he gets paid manager-money for.

There's a slight chance it's medical.

There's some chance that it's 'cos he's just a slob.

There's even more chance that there are some mental health issues which mean that his personal care is somewhat lacking.

Your manager needs to tread carefully in dealing with this, providing your with a safe workplace, respecting his rights, but yet ensuring appropriate workplace dress and demeanour.

The right approach will depend on your industry,your co-worker's value to the company, and his medical history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Just found this thread :

I've had to have that embarrassing conversation with 3 people over the course of my career.

As mentioned above, it is the managers' job to deal with it.

It is the most awkward/horrible conversations I have ever had to have in my life. Heartbreaking nearly. But it did have to be done as it was affecting other employees.

Just to make it clear that in ALL 3 cases there were serious issues going on in the home life of the employee, things that were miserable for them. I won't go into the details, but in all 3 cases it took me a while to get over the situations.

So please don't slag anyone that has BO problems, you may have no idea of what they are going through at home.

But in saying that the situation was dealt with discreetly and privately and did improve.

So ask your Manager to deal with it. - and hopefully they are able to do it tactfully and respectfully.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

You go out socially, knowing that you smell bad? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

Well La di da litl' Miss sensitive nostrils! You're lucky you didn't live 100 years ago before the idea of BO was invented (yes, invented) and people were doing well to wash once a month and Sure was what you told your boss to get him off your back. But in truth, working with someone with BO is terrible, I can't stick it (work with someone now, and was lumbered with it before) and the worst part is they are nice people but the smell is so god awful I just have to cut conversations short. If it's too much to stand, you should let your manager know, but maybe also mention that you think it is better said at the end of the day, maybe even on a Friday evening so firstly they don't have the last the whole day imagining what their coworkers are thinking of them, and if it's a Friday they'll have the weekend to clean their clothes and themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Worked with a guy once who smelled dreadful. Nobody said anything for a while, but it got worse and then several people made complaints to the manager. Manager went to the guy in question and told him not to bother coming in the next day unless he had a shower. The guy never came in the next day. To this day I always wonder if it was the embarrassment of it all or if he was just really against showering.

Advertisement