Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shogun Total War 2

Options
  • 31-03-2011 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Ok, I bought the new shogun total war 2 pc game two days ago and have tried literally hundred of times to install it but to now avail. When i bought it in shop guy behind counter gave me some long winded story in how it downloads for hours even though you have bought the bloody disc, and some other great stuff that just went over my head anyway apprehensively i bought it and after trying to install it many times realise now that my computer doesnt meet the requirments. Really pissed with whole thing and what makes matters worse now than shop in question has a policy of not returning pc games.:mad: Surely this aint right.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

The lesson you should take from this is to check the minimum requirements before you buy the game

But in your current situation, you have 3 choices:
    1. Try to return it to the shop. Just be honest with them and hope for the best. If they don't take it back, don't shop there again.
    2. Hang on to the game and wait til you upgrade your PC.
    3. Gift/swap the game with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

If you have already registered the CD-Key with STEAM, you can and will not get your money back. The store will be unable to sell your copy of SHOGUN to anyone else.

If you are a frequent PC game buyer, you should be aware of this already.

Also, this is not the correct forum to be venting such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not a review. Moving to Games forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Found this on amazon.co.uk by a reviewer for solving the downloading issue - Haven't tried it as I'm planning buying the game tomorrow
    Anyway this solution worked for me and several other according to the forums (gamefaqs.com forum).
    1. Stick in the first DVD
    2. Register with Steam ==> it will start downloading the 16GB files automatically.
    3. Delete the local content from Steam (right click in games list then delete local content)
    4. Close Steam (right click on the icon in your task bar and close it completely). Closing it down fully seems to be critical it only worked on my 3rd attempt after closing down Steam properly.
    5. Eject the first DVD and stick it back in the DVD drive
    6. It will now install from the DVDs

This allowed me to install from the DVDs which is a lot quicker than the 16,000MB download!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I bought so many pc games in my local gamestop, they know my name, we always have a good wee chat and a lought. Even after buying games there for 6 years, they still ask me: " you sure your pc can run it? As you know about our policy".

I haven't checked minimum requirements for the last 3 years as I can run any pc game atleast with med to high settings, but if you are not sure about your system and new to pc gaming, then you should do some more research on game and your system.

I once managed to return pc game to zavvi. It was scarface. My pc was double te requirements of the game, and it wad not able to run it as it was very very poor console port. I was furious, told them it was bull****. My system is better then recommended settings and it's inplayable, game it self is broken! I got my money back.

In your situation it wont help I am afraid. With it being steam game specially.

Upgrade your system, or if you don't have more games with that account, try to sell account with game on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

If your system doesn't meet the requirements then the shop isn't liable. Its like if you bought a game for xbox when u had a ps3. The shop may take it back in the xbox/ps3 case but they won't with a pc game due to DRM and product keys rubbish. (Also some people say the discs can transport viruses but unless its a RW disc it won't)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Chefburns wrote: »
    If your system doesn't meet the requirements then the shop isn't liable. Its like if you bought a game for xbox when u had a ps3. The shop may take it back in the xbox/ps3 case but they won't with a pc game due to DRM and product keys rubbish. (Also some people say the discs can transport viruses but unless its a RW disc it won't)

Anything can transfer viruses. Any disc, any email, any USB, anything. I heard once virus was in digital photo frame.

A bit off topic lol, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

Anything can transfer viruses. Any disc, any email, any USB, anything. I heard once virus was in digital photo frame.

A bit off topic lol, sorry.

If its a set of write only discs with no room left on it from a 16GB instilation then it can't transport a virus as there is no where for it to go and it can't alter the data already on the disc. And i do know that anything with any sort of memory can transport a virus my camera even has one on it 56K of built in memory. If the discs had room left on them then yeah they could transport viruses but most manufacturers fill up the rest of the empty space with filler to prevent that.

Also sorry for the off topic rant!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any PC game I've ever bought, the staff always ask me if I've checked the requirements.
    It gets the customer to be more aware and also covers the shop if there is a dispute, much like this

Sorry OP, the shop might have taken back a console game if you say you bought the wrong one like a Christmas present. Mistake happens and shops can be good about these things

But there is no way they'll take back a PC game

Advertisement