Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

was it standing or sitting gig?

All 3 were both, I stood on the floor for QOTSA and then second row and 4th row of the balcony for the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

hots wrote: »
    All 3 were both, I stood on the floor for QOTSA and then second row and 4th row of the balcony for the other two.

That 2017 gig wasnt a disaster. Sound was poor (was further back than the 2013 gig), but performance was good. Crowd was grand where we were too.

Have the darkness coming up next. Feeling it could be an absolute belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

First : Slayer in the Top Hat in Dun Laoire i think it was 1988...Brilliant gig
    Best : Roger Waters in the Aviva...Just unbelieveable in every way
    Worst : Massive Attack this year in the 3 arena. Sound was the worst i've ever experienced for a gig...awful stuff

Mushy wrote: »
    That 2017 gig wasnt a disaster. Sound was poor (was further back than the 2013 gig), but performance was good. Crowd was grand where we were too.

I was just standing probably 3/4s of the way back and found there was just too many people milling around for pints. I think it was the first gig I'd been really looking forward to and was unimpressed by.

The Darkness in the Academy could be incredible!

hots wrote: »
    I was just standing probably 3/4s of the way back and found there was just too many people milling around for pints. I think it was the first gig I'd been really looking forward to and was unimpressed by.

The Darkness in the Academy could be incredible!

Yeah I was probably the same, kinda blocked people from cutting past whole time so with crowd I was with we all enjoyed it at least. Certainly wouldn't be in my best ever though, luckily was 9th time seeing them though.

It'll be Cyprus Avenue for me, so nice newly done up spot.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was probably the same, kinda blocked people from cutting past whole time so with crowd I was with we all enjoyed it at least. Certainly wouldn't be in my best ever though, luckily was 9th time seeing them though.

It'll be Cyprus Avenue for me, so nice newly done up spot.

haha fcker! Was my first :o

That's unreal, 250 capacity venue for a band like that is insane! I'm not a huge fan or anything but would know 4/5 of their biggest songs, run up to xmas too, half a chance of the best xmas song of all time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Best - Muse in the Button Factory/Temple Bar Music Centre In May 2000 in front of about 30 people

First- Oasis In The Point In Dec 97- Liam cried off with Laryngitis so Noel took vocals

Worst- Not been to a bad one now I think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Best - Muse in the Button Factory/Temple Bar Music Centre In May 2000 in front of about 30 people

First- Oasis In The Point In Dec 97- Liam cried off with Laryngitis so Noel took vocals

Muse i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Muse i'd say

That Oasis gig was a bit of a bin fire too. Noel at al off their chops playing bad songs from Be Here Now, badly. Very short gig too if I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You get acquainted with the new album yet? Essential...they are playing it in full ;)

• Advertisement

You get acquainted with the new album yet? Essential...they are playing it in full ;)

Played it alright the other day. Then played it again. Belter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Remember being amazed by that Muse gig. Elastica after were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

First - Pet Shop Boys Birmingham NEC 90s -Friend was a fan and wanted someone to go with, actually enjoyed. support was a full orchestra doing classical stuff, people started a mexican wave out of boredom.

Best - RATM at Reading 96. Band wearing AC Milan-esque football shirts for some reason. Biggest moshpit ive ever tried to seen. Also Jack white in Kilmainham 2014 in the p*ssing down rain. He played on until they turned the power off on him for going over time. Finished with a completely acoustic Goodnight Irene without mic or lights stood at front of stage.

Worst - Possibly Oasis in Lansdowne, sound was awful, just wanted to leave. Similarly RHCP at Slane, support was fantastic tho and made up for it, QOtsa, Foos, Pj harvey, Feeder, Halite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

First Bob Dylan in the point (2000)
    Best New York dolls at the village (2006)
    Worst church berry in the academy

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

First:Foo Fighters & Manic Street Preachers Point 1996(was a kind of indoor Trip To Tipp thing). Went as FF fan and left as a fan of the Manics too

Best: Pearl Jam Milton Keynes 2014. They’re my favourite band and have seen them live 10 times or so but never outdoors up to then. A sensational 3 and a half hours.

Worst: Ian Brown in the Olympia or Vicar St(can’t remember) in 2001,he was more off his face than the rest of the crowd put together!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First: Boomtown rats playing in Blackrock park, early 80s.
    Best: Tough call, so many great gigs but Laurie Anderson at the National Concert Hall
    Worst: Lou Reed at the point, probably because I was really looking forward to the concert and it totally failed to live up to expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

First: Orbital in the Olympia in 99. The bass just blew me away, whole body shaking, it was incredible.
    Best: Sigur Ros in a big tent in Roskilde 2006. Wasn't expecting much but it was just incredible, so different to anything I'd ever seen up until then. Don't think I've had a similar feeling coming out of a gig since then. Saw them again in the point depot a few years after that and it just wasn't the same.
    Worst: Republic of Loose in tripod in the mid noughties I think. Mick Pyro was pissed or else on something and it was a complete shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This thread probably set out to discover great and not so great gigs people have gone to, but it may also be lamenting the death of live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

This thread probably set out to discover great and not so great gigs people have gone to, but it may also be lamenting the death of live music.

Most big gigs and festivals are now geared towards people that listen to daytime radio which sucks. I feel lucky that I caught the tail end of festivals being designed for people into music. People I work with who would have once thought I was a bit weird because I never went to Tenerife and went to Reading instead now go to way more outdoor gigs than I do every year. I actually can't remember the last time I was at a gig that had more than a couple of hundred people at it.

There's still plenty of great live music out there, but It's all been pushed underground, as it has on radio and tv. This is of course sad and unless kids go and search for good music themselves there is nothing to inspire them only some boy next door type with a silly beard and a bag full of ****e songs who himself was influenced by a decade of Karaoke TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

First - Marillion SFX 1985
    Best - Wilco Vicar Street 2009
    Worst - Metallica Slane 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Ally Dick wrote: »
    First - Marillion SFX 1985.

"This is our last song of the night."
    [Plays all of Misplaced Childhood]

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

"This is our last song of the night."
    [Plays all of Misplaced Childhood]

I remember. Two nights, all of us just back to school. September 1985. They did a brief encore with Fugazi and Forgotten Sons
    "Searching the roofs for a sniper, a viper, a fighter"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Interesting. Why so bad for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First - Marillion SFX 1985
    Best - Wilco Vicar Street 2009

Glad that Wilco gigs, well those 2 gigs, were so well received by everyone and it wasn't just me and the fact that I was drinking pints of red wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

MfMan wrote: »
    Worst; Bob Dylan in Pearse stadium c. 15 years ago. Not his hugest fan, but he played mostly songs I didn't know and made no effort whatsoever to interact with the crowd. Wouldn't go to see him now if he was playing for free across the road.
    johnnykilo wrote: »

Worst:
    Edit: just remembered Bob Dylan - Kilkenny - 2006. Heard that he can either be brilliant or awful, he was definitely the latter that night.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    Worse:
    Bob Dylan, O2, 2009
    sydthebeat wrote: »

worst:- dylan (the point)
    PaddyOisin wrote: »
    Worst: Bob Dylan, Nowlan Park Kilkenny, 2006. Dear God! And this from a Dylan devotee.
    Worst: Tie between Bob Dylan in Kilkenny in 03 ish?
    he worst is easy,Bob Dylan in Pearse Stadium Galway in 2004.He was awful.
    Bowlardo wrote: »
    Worst: Dylan Kilkenny
    greenspurs wrote: »

Worst - Bob Dylan , Nowlan Park 2006 - Just dreadful.
    KevRossi wrote: »

Worst: Dylan in The Point 2010/11ish

Worst: Bob Dylan, Kilkenny, 2006

For anyone thinking of spending a fortune on a Bob Dylan ticket.

Advertisement