Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

First: Five - 200? - during the godawful noughties pop era
    Best: Sigur Ros - 2008
    Worst: Kings of Leon - I didn't write the date in my diary

I'm jealous of those who went to gigs/festivals before the invention of the camera phone. Especially at standing gigs where my view is obscured by fans taking videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

First Electronic: Bjork - Point Depot - 1996 - Supported by Underworld (though they played after Bjork) (both were excellent).

Best (DJ Set): DJ Hype (DnB) - Temple Bar Music Centre early 2000's - went til 4am - pLace was FcUkiNg HOPPING. Hopping.

Worst (DJ Set): Probably seeing David Holmes somewhere, expecting him to play techno*, but him just playing a sh1te mix of breaks/funk/soul.

*all the support DJ's were playing techno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

First, Féile '90.
    Best, Doves, The Olympia 2005.
    Worst, Michael Jackson RDS 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

First: The Revs (remember them?) - 2003(?) at Glór in Ennis, still have the ticket stub.

Best: Pendulum at both of the Oxegen's they played, 2009 and 2011, and the RDS in 2008.
    Pearl Jam, 3 Arena, 2010.

Worst: The Black Keys 2012, just poor. And RHCP at Oxegen 2006, they were just arseholes..

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

First - Blur RDS (1996?)
    Best - Polyphonic spree Ambassador 2004
    Worst - Kings of Leon Oxegen 2007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

My first was Muse in Cork in 2001. Ash were on the bill as well. I think it was the Heineken Green Energy festival.

I was at that. Muse were actually supporting Ash. Funny how things turn out. I remember Ash doing a cover of Weezer's Only in Dreams during the encore which was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I was at that. Muse were actually supporting Ash. Funny how things turn out. I remember Ash doing a cover of Weezer's Only in Dreams during the encore which was awesome.

Amazing cover, on the single version of Burn baby Burn. Wish they'd just get a second guitarist again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The best,I have been to 21 Bruce Springsteen shows starting with Slane in 1985,hard to pick one,but The Tunnel Of Love Tour show in the RDS Dublin in 1988 stands out because of the performance setlist and the wonderful sexual chemistry onstage between Bruce and Patti Scialfa.It was hot.
    The worst is easy,Bob Dylan in Pearse Stadium Galway in 2004.He was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

First - M Jackson in Cork 1988
    Worst - London Grammar EP 2017 - was really hoping for an amazing show and a bad let down
    Best - The Frames, Witness 2001,
    Hon Mentions; Roger Waters (The Wall) Point Depot, A House (SFX, 1989), Radiohead (Malahide)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Best - The Frames, Witness 2001,

The Frames Marley Park 2004 was class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

redmgar wrote: »
    The Frames Marley Park 2004 was class.

That was a great line up, Supergrass, Bell X1, Idlewild and Hailite.

The Witness one beat it for me though. It was heaving in that tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Game of thrones orchestra in oddessy arena Belfast, hairs still stand when I think of it,Ramin djawadi is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

1st The Smiths , Aberdeen 1985

Best Eddie Vedder 3 Arena 2017
    (Honourable mentions- PJ Dublin 1996,2000,2010 and London 2018....also Doves Olympia 2002, The Verve Slane 1998, The National Olympia 2010 and Soundgarden O2 2013.)

Worst....hands down... The Lemonheads ,The Academy 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Best: The Cure at the RDS, 1989 - read my take here.

Worst: The Pastels at the Mean Fiddler, 1997. F*cking hipsters.

First: U2 at Croke Park, 1985. Great day out with supports from REM, Squeeze, The Alarm, In Tua Nua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

First: Megadeth - Olympic Ballroom (1988). Life was never the same after that.

Best: Ozzy Osbourne - McGonagles (1991). I much prefer what he did with Black Sabbath but seeing him in that venue was unreal.
    Honourable mentions to Eat Static at Dance Valley - Netherlands (1996), Photek - Temple Bar Music Centre (1998), Shane MacGowan & The Popes - Eamon Dorans, one of those surprise 1:00am shows (2001), Dweezil Zappa - Vicar St (2018)

Worst: There's been a few but I just leave if it's terrible and showing no signs of improving. Not the performance and more disappointing than anything was Ennio Morricone in Kilmainham (2013) ruined by the terrible setup/wind/chatting crowd but I got to see the maestro in February indoors and it was a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

First: Honestly can't remember

Best: Spiritualized @ Radio City Music Hall 2010, Orbital @ Homelands Ireland 1999, Radiohead @ Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam 2016

Worst: The Fall @ the Button Factory 2013. I love Mark E Smith and know you never know what you'll get from him but he was a shambles that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

First: Simple Minds, RDS 1989

Best: Wedding Present / Buffalo Tom SFX 1991 (also any of Wilco's gigs in Vicar Street or Ryan Adams/Jesse Malin, Olympia 2002 or Lambchop, Olympia 2000 or John Carpenter, Vicar Street 2016)

Worst: U2, RDS 1993

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

First: Fear Factory, Amabassador Theatre, 2001

Best: Rammstein, The O2, 2012
    Honourable mentions: The Prodigy - Live at the Marquee, 2009, Mushroomhead - Ozzfest, 2002, The Stunning - Féile 2018, Thurles

Worst: Killswitch Engage - Temple Bar Music Centre, 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

mimimcmc wrote: »
    First: The Revs (remember them?) - 2003(?) at Glór in Ennis, still have the ticket stub.

Best: Pendulum at both of the Oxegen's they played, 2009 and 2011, and the RDS in 2008.
    Pearl Jam, 3 Arena, 2010.

Worst: The Black Keys 2012, just poor. And RHCP at Oxegen 2006, they were just arseholes..

Ha, that Black Keys gig would have been up their with my best. Was drenched in sweat afterwards, was unreal. Band of Skull were excellent as support act!

First - Slane 2000. I remember Mody being amazing, was drunk good parts of that day so not a huge amount I remember! Muse played apparently!

Worst - Macy Gray - Slane 2000. One of the other acts I remember from that day. She was off her tree on something. RHCP Phoneix Park 2004

Best - as many have said, very hard to pick the best. Most gigs at Roisin Dubh (Frightened Rabbit :-(, Frank Turner, I'm from Barcelona) would be up there
    The Strokes - Oxegen 2004 is probably the best atmosphere I've been at for a live show. But I could add loads that would be close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Worst: U2, RDS 1993

How so? It's my one regret I didn't see a ZooTV / Zooropra show.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My first ever gig!

Needless to say ill always have fond memories of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

U2s Zooropa gig at the RDS is one of my top 5 gigs. Can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t have enjoyed, but I suppose if this thread shows anything it is that musical taste on here is very varied. I think where you stand or sit at a gig can have a huge bearing on enjoyment. All it takes is a couple of assholes next to you and the greatest of gigs can be ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

First: Metallica 92, The Point
    Best: hard to say, Sonic Youth, Wilco, both at Vicar St, Low's recent gig at Vicar St
    Worst: Radiohead in the 3 arena last year or the year before, whenever it was. Terrible gig. Terrible atmosphere in the standing section. Terrible view in the standing section. Expected better for €90 a ticket. Thom Yorke was up his own hole at the gig as well. I've seen them 3 times before that back to 97, and those were far better, even in the old Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

Goes to show... one of my favourites. And I was standing for it too.
    grenadino wrote: »
    First: Metallica 92, The Point
    Best: hard to say, Sonic Youth, Wilco, both at Vicar St, Low's recent gig at Vicar St
    Worst: Radiohead in the 3 arena last year or the year before, whenever it was. Terrible gig. Terrible atmosphere in the standing section. Terrible view in the standing section. Expected better for €90 a ticket. Thom Yorke was up his own hole at the gig as well. I've seen them 3 times before that back to 97, and those were far better, even in the old Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I was never a big U2 fan but I went with friends. The support was The Golden Horde and I thought they were dreadful so it was a bad start.

I just thought U2 were very bland and underwhelming. But Bono channel surfing was fun and the duet with a video of Lou Reed singing Satellite of Love was great so it wasn't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

mimimcmc wrote: »

Yes! Saw them a load of times in the temple bar music centre... saw rory and his band 'rory and the island' last year in his bar in lanzarote.. they had an excellent set up, like a mini whelans. He sold it and his moved back to Ireland and is putting out an album I believe. Really excellent musician.

First: Coolio in 1996 The Point

Best: so many, it was probably Faithless in the early days at one of the festivals, Witnness I think. Was totally buzzed after..oh to be younger!

or PULP at EP a few years ago

Worst: Ash at The Lost Weekend in London (2000)... mostly because they were there to replace NIN who suddenly cancelled due to illness... which many years later Trent Reznor revealed was an over dose he took the night before. Sad times. Ash to be fair have always been decent live. Such a disappointment.

that or Neil Young and Crazy Horse in the RDS... backs turned to the crowd the whole time. Dull as fk

loads of great and bad gigs since, but I don't put as much stock in them now as I did when I was a teen. I'm sure it's the same for many of you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

First: Oasis 1995 pairc ui chaoimh

Best: Catatonia Olympia 1996 - It was my first proper "coming of age" gig. Up in the mosh pit (which was only about 10 people) as a 15 year old was fantastic. I think its potential teenage memories that have made it the best gig. If I was to redo it now, probably wouldnt be in the top 10!

Worst: Ed Sheeran Croke Park 2018. Couldnt get into the "main area" so had to stand basically outside where all the food stalls were. Couldnt see the stage or the TVs and sound wasnt great that far back. Horrendous experience. Thankfully my daughter went the following night and got into the moshpit, so she got a redemption of some way!

First: Fear Factory, Amabassador Theatre, 2001

Best: Rammstein, The O2, 2012

FF at the Ambassador was a great gig, my second gig was FF in the SFX - unreal - and they were savage a few years ago in The Academy.

That Rammstein gig was incredible. Doubt I'll see anything as off the wall as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

beecee wrote: »
    Goes to show... one of my favourites. And I was standing for it too.
    Yeah I was standing at that gig aswell and it was f*cking great. Crowd was hoppin where I was.

Advertisement