Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite childhood book!

Options
  • 31-03-2011 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

so what is the one book from your childhood that you loved the most?

mine is To Kill A Mocking Bird, i read it when i was 10 and loved it although i didnt fully understand the racism theme until i did it for my junior cert. its still one of my all-time favourites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

My favourite childhood book by far was "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by CS Lewis. I read it when I was about 7 or 8. I still love books I can lose myself in and be transported to another world (even for just a few hours). I also liked Tales from the Arabian Nights, Abi Baba and the Forty Theives. I always wanted my own little magic carpet so I could fly away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tough choice! But I would probably have to say Little Women. Love love loved it. Still do :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Probably one of the Roald Dahl books... Matilda maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Denerick wrote: »
    Probably one of the Roald Dahl books... Matilda maybe...

Oh dear, loved this one too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't care if she was a Nazi and a horrible mother, but Enid Blyton did the trick for me when I was a young lad. I loved the Five Find Outers, and the "... of Adventure" series were everyting a young boy could expect from a book. I remember them more vividly than books I read comparatively recently. Roald Dahl was also a favourite.

I wish I had been born 15 years later though. The quality and range of childrens' literature has increased hugely. Imagine reading Pullman's His Dark Materials series at 12 or 13!!:eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

The summer of Lily&Esme-loved that book so much I named my daughter after one of the characters!also I was a famous five fiend-read them all over and over-cringe when I read bits of them now-as a child I was always coming out with stuff like 'spiffing' and 'jolly good show' which didn't go down well with all the Irish kids who hadn't read them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Watership Down. Loved it. Loved the film too. Watched that recently and found it very sad.

I also love Roald Dahl and Asterix books.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Roald Dahl's 'boy' was a great read, would love to read it again actually, he was a great writer

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

SO many that I read and re-read. Most of Enid Blyton's books, Erich Kastner's 35th of May, Mary Stewart's Ludo and the Star Horse, Hugo and Josephine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Alice in Wonderland, Black Beauty, anything by Enid Blython, The Velveteen Rabbit, Tom Mcaughrens's Run Wild Run free series, got to meet the man himself at an Osbourne Book Fair in Dublin back in the day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Can't believe I forgot to say Asterix and Obelisk! These comics shaped my childhood more than any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

the enchanted wood. Because of that book i have probably read thousands more.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I loved Animal Farm, even before I could fully understand it and also I loved the Amelia Jane series by Enid Blyton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I loved Animal Farm, even before I could fully understand it and also I loved the Amelia Jane series by Enid Blyton.

Loved Animal Farm too, it was just a story about farm animals then. It's a great treat when a book gives you more and more each time you read it

I read Paddy Clare Ha Ha Ha a load of times when I was a kid, thought myself and Paddy seemed like kindred spirits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Charlottes Web. First book I ever read in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 karr3

loved Roald Dahl and Judy Blume.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I loved Richmal Crompton's 'William' books, used to have me in stitches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

I have been describing the first book I remember reading to friends for years, then by the wonder of Google I have discovered that it was called "Morris has a Cold" now there is an in-depth tale the likes of which we rarely see in literature anymore! ;)

Before that it was all about Spot the Dog before I started inhaling books! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Unquestionably Danny the Champion of the World for me. When i think back on the times i was reading that i get that fuzzy feeling of childhood, wrapped in duvet covers in a bed two times to long for me and my parents downstairs by the fire. An utterly fantastic, quaint little story with a wonderfully immersive atmosphere and setting

...I actually want to read it again now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

+1 on Redwall. EULALIA!!!!
    Amazing stuff. Was also a big fan of the Abhorsen Trilogy. Fantastic story and characters. Might whip it out of the shelf now for a glance back...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Black Beauty

all of roald dahls books, i still have them and read them from time to time
    they make me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nordieboy

My god:
    Secret 7
    Hardy Boys
    Neverending Story
    Stig of the Dump
    Black Beauty
    The Hobbit

The only ones I bought as an adult though to re-read (nostalgia and for my little nieces) C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia. Though I still read Tolken now and again.

Blast from the past thinking about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I absolutely loved the What Katy did books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Katy_Did

loved everything by enid blyton too, especially Malory towers.

So many favourites, too many to name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Matilda +1
    Ballet Shoes

There was also one about a witch I borrowed from the library obsessively. I searched the net for it but no luck. I can't remember the name. I think her name was Hetty or something and she was on the cover falling off her broomstick in red and white stripy socks. Loved that :o

I also recall really liking Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I randomly heard an audiobook of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe recently and it frightened me how familiar the sentences were!

I was a terror for tearing through books. I used to insist on reading in bed for hours and when my booklight was confiscated (!) I read by the landing light. No wonder I need glasses now! :-)

I hope I wasn't the only child who had her primary school English books hidden all summer so that they wouldn't read all the stories in them before going back to school!

Also, adored Enid Blyton and blame that as the reason why I now love Agatha Christie stuff. Old timey and naff. Lovely!

The Satanic Mill by Otfried Preussler, I must have read ten times, definitely more times than I've read anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think you may be me, I also really enjoyed those.

Also Tarka the Otter and Watership Down.

Anything with a pony on the front was a pretty safe bet when I was little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Anything by Enid Blyton. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr.
    Lovely book, it's the first one I can remember finishing!

Also loved "The Last Polar Bears" by Harry Horse and of course "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S Lewis.

Advertisement