Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP results query?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I just got my MSAP overall result which was 105. Can anybody let me know
    what that is in terms of percentile and/or how good/bad that is in terms of getting into NUIG. Much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Got an e-mail from MSAP early this morning. I got an overall score of 97, with a percentile score of 33, can anyone tell me if this means I still have a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackangel66

I got an overall of 96 which by looking at the percentile its not great but it would depend on the cut off point the universities would be using, so annoyed if I had managed to do the second essay would have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 charlie4

Hi All ~ MSAP Results received this morning.....

Section 1: score: 116 73%
    Section 2: score: 102 51%
    Overall Score: 109
    Overall Percentile: 65%

It's hard to know exactly what my score means in relation to my chance of being offered a place on the course of my choice. I rang UCC after receiving my score and spoke with a lovely lady in the Admissions Office who kindly talked me through the next step in the process. All the MSAP results are now being collated with our CAO Applications and given to the relevant departments with UCC.

They will then in turn evaluate each application based on various criteria e.g. my application (applying to Early Years & Education) will be evaluated based on MSAP results and my Personal Statement and other relevant info etc. The "points cut off" does not apply in my case (thank God) and she also thought it unlikely that interviews will be required for this course.

In any event first round of offers will be made c. 7th July but we can ring first or second week in June and the admissions office will have a pretty good idea if we are to receive an offer.......

In terms of my MSAP Score I asked her to rate it and she said that it was pretty good. The highest may be around c. 130/140 and when i gasped with a mixture of admiration and horror she explained that there may only be three of four of these scores (thank God again) and then the scores start to drop to 120'ish and then the 100 teens which is where i fall so apparently its an above average 'ish score - hey, i'll take it thank you very much, it's grand :).

Best of luck to everyone with their MSAP results ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cajun

charlie4 wrote: »
    Hi All ~ MSAP Results received this morning.....

Section 1: score: 116 73%
    Section 2: score: 102 51%
    Overall Score: 109
    Overall Percentile: 65%

It's hard to know exactly what my score means in relation to my chance of being offered a place on the course of my choice. I rang UCC after receiving my score and spoke with a lovely lady in the Admissions Office who kindly talked me through the next step in the process. All the MSAP results are now being collated with our CAO Applications and given to the relevant departments with UCC.

They will then in turn evaluate each application based on various criteria e.g. my application (applying to Early Years & Education) will be evaluated based on MSAP results and my Personal Statement and other relevant info etc. The "points cut off" does not apply in my case (thank God) and she also thought it unlikely that interviews will be required for this course.

In any event first round of offers will be made c. 7th July but we can ring first or second week in June and the admissions office will have a pretty good idea if we are to receive an offer.......

In terms of my MSAP Score I asked her to rate it and she said that it was pretty good. The highest may be around c. 130/140 and when i gasped with a mixture of admiration and horror she explained that there may only be three of four of these scores (thank God again) and then the scores start to drop to 120'ish and then the 100 teens which is where i fall so apparently its an above average 'ish score - hey, i'll take it thank you very much, it's grand :).

Best of luck to everyone with their MSAP results ;)

Thanks charlie4, there's a lot of information in your post which I think will answer a lot of people's questions. I got an overall scaled score of 108 (1 less than you) and an overall percentile score of 61% (4% less than you), so you can see how only 1 mark can make a reasonable difference, percent wise. I'm up for UCC Arts and I'm reasonably happy with the score. My written English was 96 : 32%(not good) and my critical reasoning was 120 : 85%(really good). So overall I think I will take my chances with this score. I'm hoping it will be enough. Good luck with your applications everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo Valentino

As far as I know, each university has a different cut off point. I've applied for psychology with UCD but I did not do as well as I hoped with my MSAP. But I'm also doing an access course with UCD at the moment, a certificate in psychology with NUI Maynooth and I've just finished a series of evening psychology lectures with Trinity as well. Hopefully this will all be taken into account for my application, not just my MSAP.

It's fairly confusing alright so if anyones baffled, you're not alone!

I got :

MSAP RESULTS
    Scaled score Percentile
    Section 1:
    Written English 114 69
    Section 2:
    Critical Reasoning 113 75

Overall
    MSAP Score:

The percentiles indicate your performance relative to other candidates who sat MSAP on the same date.
    For example, a percentile of 44 indicates that your Overall MSAP Score is equal to, or better than, 44% of candidates.

Overall
    Percentile:

It's not a bad score but I fear it's nowhere near good enough for psychology.

Will have to wait and see.

I have to say I found the MSAP fairly do-able. Parts were tough alright but it was achievable. Did anyone sit the psychology aptitude test for Trinity??? Jesus! NIGHTMARE!

Wishing everyone the very best of luck with their applications, regardless of the outcome (including myself!! haha). Theres always options no matter what!!! Keep on keepin' on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

wow feel significantly worse about myself after that last post haha am also applying for the psychology course in u.c.d......english: scaled 122 percentile 85 critical reasoning: scaled 96 percentile 38.....overall percentile 65. msap score 109 does anyone know why it says score 3 n/a? is this on everyone's score?

I think that's a really good score. Well done. For what it's worth i would imagine that your good score in section 2 will be a plus for the psychology course.

As far as I know, each university has a different cut off point. I've applied for psychology with UCD but I did not do as well as I hoped with my MSAP. But I'm also doing an access course with UCD at the moment, a certificate in psychology with NUI Maynooth and I've just finished a series of evening psychology lectures with Trinity as well. Hopefully this will all be taken into account for my application, not just my MSAP.

It's fairly confusing alright so if anyones baffled, you're not alone!

I got :

MSAP RESULTS
    Scaled score Percentile
    Section 1:
    Written English 114 69
    Section 2:
    Critical Reasoning 113 75

Overall
    MSAP Score:

The percentiles indicate your performance relative to other candidates who sat MSAP on the same date.
    For example, a percentile of 44 indicates that your Overall MSAP Score is equal to, or better than, 44% of candidates.

Overall
    Percentile:

It's not a bad score but I fear it's nowhere near good enough for psychology.

Will have to wait and see.

I have to say I found the MSAP fairly do-able. Parts were tough alright but it was achievable. Did anyone sit the psychology aptitude test for Trinity??? Jesus! NIGHTMARE!

Wishing everyone the very best of luck with their applications, regardless of the outcome (including myself!! haha). Theres always options no matter what!!! Keep on keepin' on.....

I think that's a really good score. Well done. For what it's worth i would imagine that your good score in section 2 will be a plus for the psychology course.

Thank you! Hopefully. Either way, it's out of my hands now so theres no point in stressing about it. And we all know it won't be long till someone posts a score of 149 and a percentile overall of about 92%!! I can't wait! I'm gonna be like 'Jesus, you could have tried like....'
    Hahaha :D

heno86 wrote: »
    wow feel significantly worse about myself after that last post haha am also applying for the psychology course in u.c.d......english: scaled 122 percentile 85 critical reasoning: scaled 96 percentile 38.....overall percentile 65. msap score 109 does anyone know why it says score 3 n/a? is this on everyone's score?

Don't!! As far as I know, your personal statement is considered as well and all your life experience so don't write yourself off before they've even looked at your FULL application amigo!!
    Mine didn't actually mention a score 3.
    Best of luck my man.

• Advertisement

cajun wrote: »
    Thanks charlie4, there's a lot of information in your post which I think will answer a lot of people's questions. I got an overall scaled score of 108 (1 less than you) and an overall percentile score of 61% (4% less than you), so you can see how only 1 mark can make a reasonable difference, percent wise. I'm up for UCC Arts and I'm reasonably happy with the score. My written English was 96 : 32%(not good) and my critical reasoning was 120 : 85%(really good). So overall I think I will take my chances with this score. I'm hoping it will be enough. Good luck with your applications everybody :)

We balance each other out in both sections and come close in overall score! Good luck with UCC

Thank you! Hopefully. Either way, it's out of my hands now so theres no point in stressing about it. And we all know it won't be long till someone posts a score of 149 and a percentile overall of about 92%!! I can't wait! I'm gonna be like 'Jesus, you could have tried like....'
    Hahaha :D

Very funny. Well i am gonna enjoy my 65% for as long as i can. Maybe i should stop reading posts in order to maintain my (false) pride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billylyons

As far as I can make out Roisin you do have a chance. You got an average score like myself. I'm hoping to attend NUIG and they didn't as of yet have a cut off point for the scores. Hope this helps and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billylyons

roisin24 wrote: »
    Got an e-mail from MSAP early this morning. I got an overall score of 97, with a percentile score of 33, can anyone tell me if this means I still have a chance?

As far as I can make out Roisin you do have a chance. You got an average score like myself. I'm hoping to attend NUIG and they didn't as of yet have a cut off point for the scores. Hope this helps and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jenny54

hey everyone, :) if it helps ye further i was in touch with mature students officer in galway and about 700 people sat the exam nationwide, i got 69% which means i did better than 69% of the people who sat the exam so im happy with that, and i think ye should all stay positive because not everyone would have applied for the same course so your odds could be better than you would have thought at first! fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Wineport

I agree with you jenny54. I was speaking with admissions in NUIG today and got the same news. They are only receiving all their information from the CAO at the moment so it will be early July before they post out offers. So chin up everybody, it's early days and because it was a tougher exam than last year I think overall peoples scores are a bit lower this time round so everyone is still in with a chance of getting a place.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brokenaudio

My overall percentile rating was 69. I did really bad in the written section with a 32 percentile result but was rated in the 97th percentile of the abstract reasoning so I'm reasonably happy. I'm guessing an overall 69 will be far too low for Psychology though, has anybody any thoughts on that?

It's really disappointing in a way as I consider myself reasonably good at essays. Unfortunately the night before the test I had a bad fall and injured my coccyx (tailbone) really badly. The morning of the test I was in real pain and thought the idea of sitting on a harsh plastic chair of some sort for a number of hours would be unbearable so I took a really strong anti-inflammatory tablet which although relieving of pain resulted in some nasty side effects.
    Moral of the story - don't take medication which can have side effects of drowsiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Justinjjb

Hey guys, im new here but im just trying to find out how everyone has figured out their percentile scores because all i got was that my overall score was 99? I am not very happy with that score but wonder if still in with a chance of getting a spot in ucc

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

i was really disappointed with my essays i only got in the 64th percentile and i am normally so good at writing i was surprised it brought me down. i managed to get 98th percentile for critical reasoning though and overall in the 90th percentile which i know is pretty good i just can't help but feel that i could have done better if my essays hadn't been so poor.

i heard back from trinity and got both my interviews for psychology and psych/philosophy there and i thought their aptitude test for psychology was way harder than the msap, but i have yet to hear back from any of the other colleges i applied for, IADT haven't even acknowledged a receipt of my application so i'm a bit worried about that!

edit - also, what is this Overall Score? i got 125 but surely it should be out of 100? what is the point of having the percentile result as well as overall result?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

Don’t be downhearted just yet finch, first of all step back and consider that 98% in critical reasoning puts you in the top 2% of all students taking the exam in the country this year, that’s an amazing achievement all in itself. As to the overall score ACER say on the MSAP web site that usually marks are given in the range of 50 to 150 with 100 being the average mark given but take into account there have been people who have reported marks over 150. The percentile allows you to see where in the student population you are relative to everyone else.

And just to see where you are in things this is the 2011 MSAp thread, the 2012 one is over here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement