Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S or HCT Desire HD or Nokia N8?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before, am new here and not great on the search function!

Am changing provider today and these three seem to be the best on offer with my new provider.

Am looking for a smartphone. Important to me?, easy enough to use (don't mind having to spend a few days to get used to it), will be using 3g more than wifi (browse quite a bit), camera important enough but not majorly so. Will use it for music also. Have a Vodafone 845 at the moment, find it quite 'glitchy' and looking forward to replacing it. Only have it a few months and it's my first smartphone.

Would appreciate if you could pick one of the three above for me - even a one line answer if you don't have time for a review.

Need to choose today so would appreciate any/all answers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Nokia tends to be good hardware and phone software - but the integration with the PC is terrible - OVI suite is slow and slower. I do like the Nokia stuff but the OVI has put me off completely.

The other two are android, which is marginally more learning and "techie" but probably worth it and fun if you like that.

Thing to check is whether the Samsung has a flash, it makes a heck of a difference to the camera I find.

Best of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

HTC Desire HD for me.
    Better camera, more internal memory, also has a flash whereas samsung doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

cookie1977 wrote: »
    HTC Desire HD for me.
    Better camera, more internal memory, also has a flash whereas samsung doesn't

+1. Build quality is good & it has HTC's Sense too, which is great...

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

A slight hi-jack, but still relevant - how does an Android phone integrate with a PC?

I'm thinking in terms of getting photos out, and contacts in.

And music?

Is there a sync software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have a desire and the camera is poor. Not sure what its like on the other 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Pepsicass wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, am new here and not great on the search function!

Am changing provider today and these three seem to be the best on offer with my new provider.

Am looking for a smartphone. Important to me?, easy enough to use (don't mind having to spend a few days to get used to it), will be using 3g more than wifi (browse quite a bit), camera important enough but not majorly so. Will use it for music also. Have a Vodafone 845 at the moment, find it quite 'glitchy' and looking forward to replacing it. Only have it a few months and it's my first smartphone.

Would appreciate if you could pick one of the three above for me - even a one line answer if you don't have time for a review.

Need to choose today so would appreciate any/all answers.

Thanks.

samsung galaxy s hands down.and it does sync music and to the pc very well.the sound is great so is the camera and so many things you can do with it its amazing.one thing is though the battery life isnt great.thats one thing thats bad.but i reckon all smartphones eat battery anyway.its expensive to buy outright but im sure youll get a good enough deal on bill pay.it was my first smartphone and i highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Got a Desire z yesterday. Have a look at it.
    I really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A slight hi-jack, but still relevant - how does an Android phone integrate with a PC?

I'm thinking in terms of getting photos out, and contacts in.

And music?

Is there a sync software?

You can plug an Android phone directly into the PC as a hard drive and pull information off it. The HTC also comes with sync software.

But... Android phones use the cloud for sharing information, between your phone, your online accounts and your PC if you want. Android will change the way you do stuff, its very cool & hard to understand until you start to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Another thing to watch out with these three is battery life. The Nokia will easily have the best battery life, galaxy s second and the DHD last, quite a few people complain about the DHD battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you're considering a Galaxy then the Nexus S on Vodafone should also be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

The N8 isn't android and I wouldn't go near that. If a camera with a flash is important to you, the Desire HD would be the one.

I have the Galaxy and I love it. It is a brilliant phone, excellent screen and battery isn't fab but what smartphone is :D I wouldn't part with my phone for love nor money!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Between the three, I'd recommend the Samsung Galaxy S. Personally, I'd wait a few months until the batch of dual-core handsets come out as not only will they be more powerful and have better features, they'll also drive down the price of the three handsets in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

In the last few months I've had a Desire which the baby puked on and shorted so I went a got a Desire HD. Can't say I loved it tbh and my new Nokia N8 arrived this morning.

So far I much prefer the smaller phone and it's features better suit me - fm transmitter, best camera of any smartphone, 16Gb on board and £20 for another 16Gb, HDMI out to the TV. Have to say from my very very limited use, it's a great little phone. Two of my priorities were excellent sound quality and good battery and the Nokia should meet these. I have yet to use a non-Nokia brand that had as good audio quality.

BTW I don't get wood for apps just for the sake of apps so it doesn't bother me if iPhone has a million, Android 100,000 and Symbian 1,000. I can find the software to do exactly what I want for the Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pepsicass

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I narrowed it down to the Galaxy or Desire and went for the Galaxy in the end - found it hard to choose so let the price help decide!

The Google Nexus not available with new provider and don't want to wait for new phones. Got the Galaxy for cheap enough.

Looking forward to getting it Monday or Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I narrowed it down to the Galaxy or Desire and went for the Galaxy in the end - found it hard to choose so let the price help decide!

The Google Nexus not available with new provider and don't want to wait for new phones. Got the Galaxy for cheap enough.

Looking forward to getting it Monday or Tuesday!

You'll not be sorry, be sure to update to the latest version of android as soon as you get it, its got lots of fixes and speed enhancements.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pepsicass

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'll not be sorry, be sure to update to the latest version of android as soon as you get it, its got lots of fixes and speed enhancements.

Thanks ......... but, how do you do that?! (not very techie minded)

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Thanks ......... but, how do you do that?! (not very techie minded)

Ta.

Download a program called Samsung Kies, once installed, hook your phone up to the PC via USB, make sure all things are closed on the phone and click firmware upgrade.

Advertisement