Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sowing Grass Near To House?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before, didn't find anything through the search function though. And I'm assuming this forum is more appropriate than the construction section. Mods move if not correct.

Just wondering can grass be sowed right up next to a (newly built) house?

We have decking around two sides of the house and have been mulling over a few options for the other two sides. The builder had concerns with the relatively damp/moist soil/grass being too close to the house...any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So long as the soil is below the damp proof course there shouldn't be any problem. If it is above the dpc then you have a problem anyway, with or without grass.

I doubt the grass will grow very well right up to the wall though, far from being damp, unless the house is in a dip, soil beside walls is usually too dry for anything to grow very satisfactorily.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

looksee wrote: »
    So long as the soil is below the damp proof course there shouldn't be any problem. If it is above the dpc then you have a problem anyway, with or without grass.

I doubt the grass will grow very well right up to the wall though, far from being damp, unless the house is in a dip, soil beside walls is usually too dry for anything to grow very satisfactorily.

Thanks for your reply looksee.

The soil would be below raft level so below dpc. I'm considering a band of decorative pebbles or some such for a width of, say, 6 inches so the grass wouldn't strictly be up against the wall.

Are there any particular reasons for poor growth near to a building? Shade, (poor) moisture retention?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Juantorena wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply looksee.

The soil would be below raft level so below dpc. I'm considering a band of decorative pebbles or some such for a width of, say, 6 inches so the grass wouldn't strictly be up against the wall.

Are there any particular reasons for poor growth near to a building? Shade, (poor) moisture retention?

Absolutely no prob as LS said as long as it is 150mm below DPC.

Good idea to put a band of stone in as mowing up to the wall is hard but not impossible and would require a strimmer, etc.

Usually the poor growth is due to lack of soil depth usually rubble plaster droppings, etc. just under the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

Antiquo wrote: »
    Absolutely no prob as LS said as long as it is 150mm below DPC.

Good idea to put a band of stone in as mowing up to the wall is hard but not impossible and would require a strimmer, etc.

Usually the poor growth is due to lack of soil depth usually rubble plaster droppings, etc. just under the surface.

Cheers Antiquo.

Is the 150mm you suggest for any specific reason or just a 'to be sure, to be sure'?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Juantorena wrote: »
    Cheers Antiquo.

Is the 150mm you suggest for any specific reason or just a 'to be sure, to be sure'?

No actually its building regulation that for an external wall the height of DPC to be a min of 150mm above the external finished ground level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement