Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's Promoting Who? - Or my last night in Tripod

• 31-03-2011 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

First post here and sorry its a bad one.
    I know there's always a lot of Tripod bashing going on here but I never joined in before.
    Actually, I've always liked Tripod, saw lots of good DJ's and got hooked into DJing myself.
    Anyway A few mates were on about sending CD's to tripod and getting a gig. I got a call back and out of the blue I got my shot. I got a guest list (Well a cheap list to be accurate) and was told bring as many as I wanted. First night most of my friends turned up and it was excellent. Mission accomplished. Even made a few new fans I thought.
    Apart from getting the gig the promoter gave me a few free drinks so I was happy enough.
    Anyway, did a few more gigs, pestered people to go because I was playing, even if the main act wasn't who they wanted to see. More hard work, same deal, an hours set and two beers. Got a call last week then and things turned sour. The promoters said they were under pressure from the owner to get bigger crowds.
    Now if you want to play you need to get a confirmed guest list of around 30 People. Now I just tuned out at that point to be honest.
    I always thought that the big clubs were places that you aspired to play at. The places that the best quality DJ's would play or the up and coming acts get a break.
    To be fair I love me mates but I'm sick of dragging them to gigs and I wanted to get the chance to play for a crowd I don't know.
    I was glad of the opportunity to play such a big venue, but does that mean I have to do the job of the promoter?
    Like seriously, what are the curent promotes getting paid for if they're making the support acts bring the crowd.
    This really shook my confidence in the way that the place is run. So its not about what music I play or how good I am.
    Any nacker can get 30 of his mates to go and beatclash his way through the best of clubland. But is that what attracts a regular crowd?
    I was talking to a few of the other backroom DJ's and people aren't happy about it.
    When I run my own small gigs I get paid to DJ and promote.
    Probably my last night in Tripod for a very long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

this could actually turn into a really interesting thread. i thought this was fairly standard practise these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

First post here and sorry its a bad one.
    I know there's always a lot of Tripod bashing going on here but I never joined in before.
    Actually, I've always liked Tripod, saw lots of good DJ's and got hooked into DJing myself.
    Anyway A few mates were on about sending CD's to tripod and getting a gig. I got a call back and out of the blue I got my shot. I got a guest list (Well a cheap list to be accurate) and was told bring as many as I wanted. First night most of my friends turned up and it was excellent. Mission accomplished. Even made a few new fans I thought.
    Apart from getting the gig the promoter gave me a few free drinks so I was happy enough.
    Anyway, did a few more gigs, pestered people to go because I was playing, even if the main act wasn't who they wanted to see. More hard work, same deal, an hours set and two beers. Got a call last week then and things turned sour. The promoters said they were under pressure from the owner to get bigger crowds.
    Now if you want to play you need to get a confirmed guest list of around 30 People. Now I just tuned out at that point to be honest.
    I always thought that the big clubs were places that you aspired to play at. The places that the best quality DJ's would play or the up and coming acts get a break.
    To be fair I love me mates but I'm sick of dragging them to gigs and I wanted to get the chance to play for a crowd I don't know.
    I was glad of the opportunity to play such a big venue, but does that mean I have to do the job of the promoter?
    Like seriously, what are the curent promotes getting paid for if they're making the support acts bring the crowd.
    This really shook my confidence in the way that the place is run. So its not about what music I play or how good I am.
    Any nacker can get 30 of his mates to go and beatclash his way through the best of clubland. But is that what attracts a regular crowd?
    I was talking to a few of the other backroom DJ's and people aren't happy about it.
    When I run my own small gigs I get paid to DJ and promote.
    Probably my last night in Tripod for a very long time.

how old are you? im glad you deserve it, idiots like you playing for free, for 2 drinks, unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

515 /tripod are exploitative overcharging arseholes. If you play for nothing you are just enabling them. Realistically, you should think about contacting NERA http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/ about it. They are employing you without pay, without paying your tax or prsi.
    Djs should stand together on this and absolutely point blank refuse to play there without pay. Maybe organise a picket outside it some night to illustrate a point. They dont own the pavement outside the building so they cant stop you protesting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

thats fvcking ****, what happens if your 30 people dont turn up, do they actually expect a dj to go to the hassle of getting 30 mates to go, like not as if your getting to warm up for a big shot dj in the main room, you'll be playing one of the back rooms to fvck all people (more then likely), id say they will let any cvnt play in the aslong as they bring their quota with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

I don't fully understand what you're saying.
    When you say "guest list" do you mean 30 people who have to pay full price to get in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

Daroxtar wrote: »
    515 /tripod are exploitative overcharging arseholes. If you play for nothing you are just enabling them. Realistically, you should think about contacting NERA http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/ about it. They are employing you without pay, without paying your tax or prsi.
    Djs should stand together on this and absolutely point blank refuse to play there without pay. Maybe organise a picket outside it some night to illustrate a point. They dont own the pavement outside the building so they cant stop you protesting there.

A DJ isn't an employee, he's a contractor. Totally different in the eyes of the law. Employment laws won't apply.

brianc27 wrote: »
    id say they will let any cvnt play in the aslong as they bring their quota with them.

Could be a chance to hijack a house night with some breakcore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So at a tenner a head you're paying €300 for the privilege of playing? That promoter is a geeeeenius!

How much would it cost to hire out a room yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 techtonic

Id say the cheaplist is more than a tenner for gigs in tripod

• Advertisement

ianuss wrote: »
    A DJ isn't an employee, he's a contractor. Totally different in the eyes of the law. Employment laws won't apply.
    So what kind of sham outfit takes on an unregistered contractor? Where's the Contract? Who signed it? Where's the Invoices? C2 or C35 or what tax certificate are they operating on? There's a whole can of worms to be properly opened up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the pay to play model is pretty common for young rock bands so it makes sense for a promoter to see if the same concept will fly when it comes to DJs starting out. I think it stinks but it's sadly acceptable in some non dance music genres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That's Irish clubs for you. No idea how to promote themselves, but don't want to put their heads on the chopping block, so they'll explain the lost cash at the bar by bragging about how they scored a free DJ who brought his own guestlist.

Unfortunately, because as someone said DJs are independent contractors not employees, it's not the clubs fault for getting away with this. It's the DJs who are naieve enough to think that it's a 'privelege' to play in some of these 'name clubs'.

Do it the right way. Either hustle your way into paid gigs yourself or work your way up by doing warm-up for an experienced professional who knows the business and can teach you.

Being a DJ (in terms of gigging...to save re-hashing another old argument) is as much about the business side of it as the music. You have to be good enough to be able to hold a whole set together to begin with, then you have to learn how to get noticed and sell yourself, then get repeat bookings, bigger venues and so on. Learning to mix is only half the battle. (I'm not trying to sound condescending here, btw, like I know it all. Just giving you some blunt facts)

If you're not getting paid, it's because you're worth nothing. Not because you haven't necessarily got the talent, but because you're valuing YOURSELF at zero and communicating that to a club manager/promoter who's laughing at you behind your back. If these gigs sound too good to be true...they are.

Take it as a learning experience and move on, learning the business the right way this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Sacred_git wrote: »
    how old are you? im glad you deserve it, idiots like you playing for free, for 2 drinks, unbelievable!

He's hardly an idiot, he got to play in a well known Dublin venue, has gained experience, confidence and it could stand him good in the future.

As for the promoter thing...........One Dj can bring 30 people to a gig another can bring 5-10, who are they gonna give the slot to ? DJs are two a penny these days, promoters are spoiled for choice, there is 100s of young djs that can play support if they bring a crowd there going to keep their slot.

I'm not saying its fair but that seems to be the way these days and if you were a promoter you'd bring in djs who are going to sell tickets or bring people to an event.

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    I'm not saying its fair but that seems to be the way these days and if you were a promoter you'd bring in djs who are going to sell tickets or bring people to an event.

Problem is: if you're filling a guestlist then you're not selling tickets. You don't market solely to your friends. They're the one's who see the least value in you...simply because you're just one of the lads to them, and always will be unless you become a mega-star overnight.

And anyone who IS experienced enough to bring some 'fans' with them, will be wide enough to know that any DJ worth his salt gets paid well to bring said admirers.

So while the deal may suit the promoters down to the ground (because you're dead right: DJs are a dime a dozen these days), it's not a sustainable way of becoming an established DJ.

It's a lesson learned for the OP...and he'll be better for it...but not something people should defend and DEFINITELY not actively encourage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Well who could have guessed tripod/515 are ****s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Its typical Propaganda sh*t on behalf of Tripod, nothing new here.
    its all been seen before.

propaganda in a way as in sending out the message : look guys if you want gigs ,bring people, simple.

and they bring the people, they get the gigs, they live the "dream", and get to boast about it and be a superstar. the dj is happy, the promoters are happy, everyone's happy.

if it effects you so much, form a group of people or a society, and put on some balaclavas and go in there and absolutely destroy the place, wreck it. and bring the message that you will not tolerate it,

if you aint gonna do that, then stop whining.

Its typical Propaganda sh*t on behalf of Tripod, nothing new here.
    its all been seen before.

propaganda in a way as in sending out the message : look guys if you want gigs ,bring people, simple.

and they bring the people, they get the gigs, they live the "dream", and get to boast about it and be a superstar. the dj is happy, the promoters are happy, everyone's happy.

if it effects you so much, form a group of people or a society, and put on some balaclavas and go in there and absolutely destroy the place, wreck it. and bring the message that you will not tolerate it,

thats just bollix mate!

yeah, i supose it is .... compared to your answer of telling him he deserves it and calling him an idiot.

yes he is as is any other dj playing for nothing!! kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

That's the most retarded advice I've ever heard.

"I'm getting ****ed over by a promoter independent of the venue Tripod"

"Well then go smash up Tripod. That'll show him."
    Leggo wrote: »
    If you're not getting paid, it's because you're worth nothing.

More bull****. Proper commerical DJ vibes off this post. Demanding money does not make you a better DJ, or worth more.

DJing isn't a business. Commercial DJing is, because there's no soul, love or passion in it, so it's a clinical harsh job. Real DJing isn't about money, and should never be, so saying if you're not getting paid to DJ then you're not a good DJ is ridiculous. Is Theo Parrish a better DJ when he's playing to a sold out crowd, or to a few mates at the afterparty?

Money is just an added bonus, and if it ever becomes the only reason you DJ, you should stop DJing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

That's the most retarded advice I've ever heard.

More bull****. Proper commerical DJ vibes off this post. Demanding money does not make you a better DJ, or worth more.

DJing isn't a business. Commercial DJing is, because there's no soul, love or passion in it, so it's a clinical harsh job. Real DJing isn't about money, and should never be, so saying if you're not getting paid to DJ then you're not a good DJ is ridiculous. Is Theo Parrish a better DJ when he's playing to a sold out crowd, or to a few mates at the afterparty?

Money is just an added bonus, and if it ever becomes the only reason you DJ, you should stop DJing.

Well put man. I'd rather play to a decent crowd for free than play ****e to a load of muppets and get paid for it.

It worked great for the Egyptians...

You conveniently left out the next line that says "That's not to say you're not talented..." The amount in your paycheque isn't an indication of ability, it's an indication of how you can turn that ability into value. If you can't then your value is nothing.

I can't see how that point bothers you if you claim you do it all for the love of the music. Value doesn't play a part in the latter equation. Why are you offended?!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is NOTHING wrong with getting paid to do what you love. In fact, it's admirable and something to be proud of to say that you CAN.

The only people who will argue that there IS something wrong with it is people who would like to, but can't. That doesn't necessarily mean you, dude, I've never heard any of your stuff so can't (and wouldn't like to) judge. But if you take offence to it then maybe it's hit a nerve and you need to ask questions of yourself...not me.

Getting back on topic here...the OP is the one who feels aggrieved and ripped off that his skills were used just to fill a guestlist. DJ-ing mightn't be a business, to you, but the reasons behind the topic at hand here are VERY much a business issue. He's given the gig to bring people into a club to buy drink, simples. So we'll have to pick up our arguments about ideologies elsewhere, as I'm sure we will no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

leggo wrote: »
    You conveniently left out the next line that says "That's not to say you're not talented..." The amount in your paycheque isn't an indication of ability, it's an indication of how you can turn that ability into value. If you can't then your value is nothing.

That holds true in the world of commercial DJing, but not in DJing specific genres. Any bollocks can DJ pop tunes, and people are sick to death telling you that on this forum. Commercial DJs have no business being in an actual nightclub. They're two very different worlds so stop trying to apply the same rules to the world of non-commercial DJing.

I left that line out because it's not relevant. Your point is thus:

If the best DJ in the world plays to 2,000 strong crowd, and they love every minute of it, but the DJ does it for free, this DJ has no value, is worthless.

Do you really have such a capitalist mindset that you can stand by that statement?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is NOTHING wrong with getting paid to do what you love. In fact, it's admirable and something to be proud of to say that you CAN.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with getting paid for it, I said there is something wrong with doing it solely to get paid.

I believe that if you wouldn't play the gig if there was no money involved, then you shouldn't.

Any DJ that plays solely for money is always less enthusiastic, lazier, less exciting, and less experimental. That DJ at a gig he'll happily play for free will be a much better DJ, if he's getting paid for it, it doesn't affect things.

See the problem is that you guys are making massive assumptions about commercial DJs that you're really not qualified to make. You readily admit that you have no interest in the field so why would you know anything about it, after all?

The only difference is music and money. And music-wise, to say no commercial DJ should be in a nightclub is the funniest and most ridiculous thing I've read in a while...because not playing chart tracks in a club would shut down the club trade faster than any bank bailouts can.

Money-wise, that's a different ideology. You mistake the words 'no value' and 'worthless'. Maybe, in fairness, I mistakenly used the second phrase in a post and don't remember...lending to the confusion. If I have I sincerely apologise and retract it. Worthless sounds like I'm insulting. I'm not. No value means that you don't put a value on yourself by being willing to play for free. That's not a comment on your skills that you seem so desperate to promote here, it's just a fact.

The reality of the situation is this...if I won the lotto tomorrow, I'd happily play every gig for free or donate any earnings to charity. And I'd DJ at least twice a week if I could. Unfortunately, I have bills to pay, like everyone of a certain age.

I don't DJ solely to pay those bills. It's a nice bonus. If anything, all DJ-ing pays for is my social life costs and upgrading my equipment, music etc.

DJ-ing is also a HORRIBLE business to get into if you're ONLY in it for the money...cus some kids think it's great to play for pints and ruin any potential for earning money. Especially in recessionary times when club owners are looking to save any and everywhere. So that argument makes zero sense. The funny thing is that I argue with people elsewhere about how DJ-ing just for the money in the 21st century is pointless, and yet I come here and some guys assume I do so without asking.

But here would be another BIG problem with playing for free: as crazy as it sounds, you'd get nowhere in the business. Because venues would think "If he's so good why is he doing it for nothing?" So, in order to gig as you like, you need to charge. You'd get to warm-up crowds and get your mates in for free, for life, but aside from that? Nada.

So there's just some key arguments of how you generalise and miss the plot on commercial DJ-ing completely. We disagree on ideologies lads, fair enough, neither of us is going to convert the other. But it's only when you start to dissect a world which you admit to knowing nothing about that you get it so, so wrong....every time!

But it's only when you start to dissect a world which you admit to knowing nothing about that you get it so, so wrong....every time!

The irony in this is delicious.
    Because venues would think "If he's so good why is he doing it for nothing?" So, in order to gig as you like, you need to charge.

No respectable venue or promoter would book a DJ without hearing them DJ first, or at least listen to a mix. So that argument is bollox.

If every gig you do said you tomorrow that they can no longer pay you, would you still do them?

See the problem is that you guys are making massive assumptions about commercial DJs that you're really not qualified to make. You readily admit that you have no interest in the field so why would you know anything about it, after all?

Who's the one calling non-commercial DJs 'worthless'. That in itself demonstrates that you have no grasp of the electronic music scene whatsoever.
    The only difference is music and money. And music-wise, to say no commercial DJ should be in a nightclub is the funniest and most ridiculous thing I've read in a while...because not playing chart tracks in a club would shut down the club trade faster than any bank bailouts can.

Well im saying such in that my definition of a nightclub is a club which caters specifically for a certain music, eg, Twister Pepper, Kennedys etc.. The likes of Coppers and Diceys are not nightclubs in the proper sense, they're just late-bars. A commerical DJ would have absolutely no business in proper nightclubs as the punters - music fans - would say 'why would I pay €10 into a club to listen to this ****e I can hear on TodayFM or in Dicey Rileys.
    Money-wise, that's a different ideology. You mistake the words 'no value' and 'worthless'. Maybe, in fairness, I mistakenly used the second phrase in a post and don't remember...lending to the confusion. If I have I sincerely apologise and retract it. Worthless sounds like I'm insulting. I'm not. No value means that you don't put a value on yourself by being willing to play for free. That's not a comment on your skills that you seem so desperate to promote here, it's just a fact.

What cant you understand about the fact that some people just love music - when I say music I dont mean commercial piss - and gain great pleasure from spinning records and seeing people enjoy themselves listening to a particular genre or subgenre of music. Raves typify this. But I guess they're just worthless idiots who arent good enough to be DJing the latest Neyo or Tinie Tempah record in Flannerys pub.
    The reality of the situation is this...if I won the lotto tomorrow, I'd happily play every gig for free or donate any earnings to charity. And I'd DJ at least twice a week if I could. Unfortunately, I have bills to pay, like everyone of a certain age.

Most DJs engage in DJing as a hobby.
    So there's just some key arguments of how you generalise and miss the plot on commercial DJ-ing completely. We disagree on ideologies lads, fair enough, neither of us is going to convert the other. But it's only when you start to dissect a world which you admit to knowing nothing about that you get it so, so wrong....every time!

Exactly, like you and non-commercial DJing

• Advertisement

Alright lads, you're deliberately not reading my posts correctly now. You insist that I call non-commercial DJs 'worthless' when I directly said that I didn't and apologised if I'd given off that impression. You claim that people should want to DJ for free, then get uppity when I say they're putting no value on themselves by doing so (which they're not...that's fact).

So drop it lads. Neither of us are going to convince each other. And I don't even WANT to convince you. I don't care. DJ for free or pints all you like.

Just accept that other opinions ARE available and you don't have to be right, or unanimously agreed with, every single time. It's healthy to take in others' viewpoints. It makes sure you're not talking ****e if you're intelligent enough to question your own beliefs. If you're not, you looked like spoiled kids throwing their toys out of the pram because they're not getting what they want.

I don't know if you're just desperately coveting my respect or admiration or what by continuing to qualify your listening habits to me at every available opportunity. Fine, I don't necessarily NOT respect you. I'll give you that much. Happy now?

Now stop de-railing other people's threads and bringing up months old arguments for no good reason. It's tiring for everyone but yourselves, seemingly. Once again, the mods seem happy to let you do this. So I'll call time to it myself.

Alright lads, you're deliberately not reading my posts correctly now. You insist that I call non-commercial DJs 'worthless' when I directly said that I didn't and apologised if I'd given off that impression. You claim that people should want to DJ for free, then get uppity when I say they're putting no value on themselves by doing so (which they're not...that's fact).

Cant you see that your applying the ways of the commercial DJing world to the non-commercial DJing world. You can't do that as they're two totally different things.
    So drop it lads. Neither of us are going to convince each other. And I don't even WANT to convince you. I don't care. DJ for free or pints all you like.

Thats as lame as me saying 'oh have a good time playing Rihanna vs TI tonight to a crowd of drunken gobshítes tonight'
    Just accept that other opinions ARE available and you don't have to be right, or unanimously agreed with, every single time. It's healthy to take in others' viewpoints. It makes sure you're not talking ****e if you're intelligent enough to question your own beliefs. If you're not, you looked like spoiled kids throwing their toys out of the pram because they're not getting what they want.

I really dont know what you're on about. All along ive just said that commercial DJing and non-commercial DJing are totally different worlds.
    Now stop de-railing other people's threads and bringing up months old arguments for no good reason. It's tiring for everyone but yourselves, seemingly. Once again, the mods seem happy to let you do this. So I'll call time to it myself.

But you were the one who came on to this thread and weighted in with a commercial DJs perspective on an issue which only affects non-commercial or niche DJs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

...because not playing chart tracks in a club would shut down the club trade faster than any bank bailouts can.

Strangely enough, I agree with this.

You know as well as I do, people go to clubs to drink and score. Those things are better done with sh1t music because the sh1tter the music, the more people drink, the more they drop their standards, the more people score.

The whole point of a commercial chart dj is to set as superficial and tacky mood as possible, so people are more willing to pay extortionate prices for unhealthy amounts of alcohol and hopefully lose enough inhibition to be able to interact with members of the opposite sex.

The fact of the matter is, the majority of chart music played in clubs is utter gack but that's the point. Because music is not the point of clubs that play chart music.

And that's fine.

Now, the fact of the matter is, tripod and 515 are not in that world Leggo. They market themselves as being about the music. It's an entirely different kettle of fish we're dealing with here.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you're willing to play for free, go right ahead. If you're not, don't.

515 are pulling what is essentially a pay-to-play scheme (and that's what it is - the only minor detail that is changed is that rather than paying them yourself, you get your mates to pay through their admission).

There are no laws against this as far as I know. As long as people want to play in big clubs for some sort of 'profile boosting' (which is retarded btw), this sort of thing will go on.

Apologies to OP, but seriously, what did you expect?

jtsuited wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I agree with this.

You know as well as I do, people go to clubs to drink and score. Those things are better done with sh1t music because the sh1tter the music, the more people drink, the more they drop their standards, the more people score.

The whole point of a commercial chart dj is to set as superficial and tacky mood as possible, so people are more willing to pay extortionate prices for unhealthy amounts of alcohol and hopefully lose enough inhibition to be able to interact with members of the opposite sex.

The fact of the matter is, the majority of chart music played in clubs is utter gack but that's the point. Because music is not the point of clubs that play chart music.

Funniest post i've read on here in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Jaysus lads. You're like a bunch of 'i know better than thou' load of bitches. That in itself is a big BUNCH OF ARSE. How about supporting each other rather than jumping down each others throats for the sake of a quote.

In relation to the OP. Yeah its great that you got your set for a big club but unfortunately it hasn't grown any roses the way you might have thought it would due to the goons that run the night. But listen, it's all good. Keep plugging away. Keep getting your sets out there. And fair play to you for getting the chance to play tripod. If you feel hard done by then maybe it's not your thing. There are a lot of great clubs in this country. Have a pop with some other parties, You never know it could turn out to be quite enjoyable.

Jaysus lads. You're like a bunch of 'i know better than thou' load of bitches. That in itself is a big BUNCH OF ARSE. How about supporting each other rather than jumping down each others throats for the sake of a quote.

This is heading for thread of the year keep them coming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I actually didn't see anything wrong with leggo's initial post. The truth of the matter if people aren't willing to pay you to play you have no inherent value as a DJ. 515 dangle the carrot of the 'prestige' of playing the pod as a way of getting guaranteed punters and a DJ for free. The DJ thinks its a great way of getting their name out there when it's complete bullsh1t. The only way of getting your name out there is practising hard and networking like crazy. Forget all the commercial/niche DJ nonsense because it's essentially breaking down to the same thing at the end of the day. The rewards will be slightly different but the approach is not that dissimilar. If you think playing a couple of times in the Pod for free is somehow going to get you a following then you are deluded - an awful lot more groundwork has to go into than that and the sad fact of the matter is that even with putting in a lot of that groundwork it will probably not amount to a hill of beans.

The best thing you can do is tell people you know about what 515 are doing in terms of their indirect pay to play policy. If enough people are put off going to their nights and enough stink is created about it then they will soon realise that not all publicity is good publicity.

Exactly. The bottom line is...if any venue tries to convince you that playing for free is an honour, you're getting ripped off. Forget commercialism in DJ-ing, or whether you're 'just' doing it for the money, that's not how it works.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I don't know if you're just desperately coveting my respect or admiration or what by continuing to qualify your listening habits to me at every available opportunity. Fine, I don't necessarily NOT respect you. I'll give you that much. Happy now?

Ouch :pac:

The thread may have veered somewhat off the original purpose but I don't see anything particularly offensive that required moderating.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I actually didn't see anything wrong with leggo's initial post. The truth of the matter if people aren't willing to pay you to play you have no inherent value as a DJ. 515 dangle the carrot of the 'prestige' of playing the pod as a way of getting guaranteed punters and a DJ for free. The DJ thinks its a great way of getting their name out there when it's complete bullsh1t. The only way of getting your name out there is practising hard and networking like crazy. Forget all the commercial/niche DJ nonsense because it's essentially breaking down to the same thing at the end of the day. The rewards will be slightly different but the approach is not that dissimilar. If you think playing a couple of times in the Pod for free is somehow going to get you a following then you are deluded - an awful lot more groundwork has to go into than that and the sad fact of the matter is that even with putting in a lot of that groundwork it will probably not amount to a hill of beans.

The best thing you can do is tell people you know about what 515 are doing in terms of their indirect pay to play policy. If enough people are put off going to their nights and enough stink is created about it then they will soon realise that not all publicity is good publicity.

I agree with this but have to question also, as part of getting your name out and networking as much as possible, would it not help to have played in 515 too? If only just to have gained some experience playing a venue and not just a bedroom - quite a difference going from your hobby in a house to a DJ booth and a crowd, even if they are all your mates!

• Advertisement

David Guetta wipes the floor with Richie Hawtin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you want to get your name out then the solution is easy: MAKE YOUR OWN TUNES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

David Guetta wipes the floor with Richie Hawtin

Now that is offensive! :D

much of a muchness imo.

515/tripod have just announced that due to the success of their "You pay us to let you work here" Dj scheme they are looking for bouncers and bar staff. They will not pay these staff anything but the prestige of working in such a fabulous establishment should stand to them in the future. It is also required that to work there that the employees bring at least 30 of their friends who will be given a fantastic discount of approximately €2 off the entry fee.

Bouncers will look extremely tough and have an air of "don't even try it buddy" after a stint on the door of this superclub and will be able to pronounce "aarya roigh daare folks pleeeeease" impeccably.

Barstaff will be able to keep punters at least 4 deep at the bar, give the wrong change, serve Shark instead of Red bull without prompting and aquire the talent of glowering and exhaling audibly even when faced with 130db of unceunce.

515/tripod have also revealed that there may be an opening for someone to work in the cloakroom but this post will only be made available to applicants willing to bring their own wardrobe to the venue.

that's a false analogy as people don't bounce/work cloakrooms as a hobby/passion/etc.

that's a false analogy as people don't bounce/work cloakrooms as a hobby/passion/etc.

That's a massive assumption. Not sure how happy they'll be about that in the security and cloakroom forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

That's a massive assumption. Not sure how happy they'll be about that in the security and cloakroom forums.

Ye, I'm incredibly anal about my wardrobe organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Daroxtar wrote: »
    the talent of glowering and exhaling audibly even when faced with 130db of unceunce.

:pac:
    Love it!

And in that post you've summed up exactly why people get away with ripping guys like this off. I certainly hope you're not suggesting that this makes it excusable for profitable businesses to hide the profits from the one person who's there out of sheer devotion to their trade?

I can respect doing house parties, mates dues and even charity work out of love...but working with businesses and happily doing YOURSELF out of business is just plain foolish. Nothing to do with passion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement