Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route of the Old Lucan Rd

Options
  • 31-03-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

I have been running on the Old Lucan Rd into town lately and it got me thinking.

When the Old Lucan Rd hits the roundabout at Hermitage Hospital, what route did it take from there and I take it, that it joined back to the Old Lucan Road at Woodies?

Any old maps or anything online i can view.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It turned left after the Deadmans(heading west) and passed where the 2 isolated houses are at the slip from the Fonthill onto the N4 is. There's a section still left in front of St. Lomans Hospital of the original road and then it veered down what is now the driveway to Lomans before continuing across the present N4 across the front of Sureweld and down towards the foxhunter and then right passed Woodies and onto the present Old Lucan Road.

That's just from memory,gonna have a look and see if i can find any maps from the late 80's before the N4 Lucan bypass was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lord lucan wrote: »
    gonna have a look and see if i can find any maps from the late 80's before the N4 Lucan bypass was built.

That would be great. I'd like to get an idea too of how the Lucan road was before the bypass (before my time here)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭greenasgrass

http://www.osi.ie/

Click on the map and you can view arial photos from 2005, 2000 and 1995. Also the old 6'' maps which show you the original Lucan road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thanks a million for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was looking at an old Dublin Directory from the early 90s today. Very interesting to see how Lucan has changed since then. Only part of my estate (Elmbrook) had been built then and all the surrounding area was fields.
    No outer ring road, no industrial park down at Grange Castle, no Esker Woods estate etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 thatsme

"I was looking at an old Dublin Directory from the early 90s today. Very interesting to see how Lucan has changed since then. Only part of my estate (Elmbrook) had been built then and all the surrounding area was fields.
    No outer ring road, no industrial park down at Grange Castle, no Esker Woods estate etc....."

Ah the good old days in Lucan I lived here when there was only Sarsfield Park, Lucan Heights and Esker Lawns remember Beech Park/ Grove being built and everyone knew everyone
    What a great place it was then- I have great memories of my childhood in Lucan.
    Loved it so much I could'nt leave and still live here in the "village area" to me anything south of the N4 is North Clondalkin

thatsme wrote: »
    to me anything south of the N4 is North Clondalkin

:D

That would make Clondalkin bigger than Cork :)

That would make Clondalkin bigger than Cork

Sure was'nt Liam Lawlor intent on making Lucan bigger than Cork:p

Surely even his pockets wouldn't have been big enough for all those brown envelopes? :p

Ah the good old days in Lucan I lived here when there was only Sarsfield Park, Lucan Heights and Esker Lawns remember Beech Park/ Grove being built and everyone knew everyone
    Loved it so much I could'nt leave and still live here in the "village area" to me anything south of the N4 is North Clondalkin

Yeah was talking to someone who grew up in Beech Grove and he commented that when he was a kid there was no N4 running behind the house and all the "new" area was fields. `

Question though..... Where did Esker Lane link up to the village or did that originally just link up to the Newcastle Road?
    EDIT: This would be before the N4 Lucan bypass stretch was built.

• Advertisement

Esker Lane ran from the old Lucan Road the first turn right after Ballydowd Grove as you head towards Woodies. It linked up with the Clondalkin Road which was the road past Esker Cemetery along by Cherbury Park, there was no bypass then so when you got to the top of Esker Lane you turned right and ended up where Esker Glebe ends to join the back road to Clondalkin

Hope I am making sense!!!

Ah yes and then ran down into the village by Kasturi?
    Yes that makes sense.
    I can only barely remember "old Lucan" from when I was a kid and used to go and visit relatives in Aughrim in Galway.
    City Centre -> Palmerstown -> Lucan -> Leixlip -> Maynooth -> Kilcock etc etc.
    I'm amazed we actually ever made it to Aughrim and back in a single day.
    I also remember heading out from Monkstown to Weston aerodrome when I was younger, either heading through the city centre or on what was the beginnings of the M50. How times have changed.
    Even since I moved here in mid 2006 the place has changed, particularly with the completion of the outer ring road.
    I just wish I could remember it a bit better from when I passed through as a kid!

Actually, I do remember the road that goes by the golf club used to be two-way! Madness! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I remember it all to well,Chapelizod village through to palmertown or as it is now called palmerston village then on through by loman's hospital and sureweld on the right,then through to lucan village,leixlip village and so on.If i remember correctly it could take you up to 4/5 hours to get to galway then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I have to say I find that a strange idea! I am born and raised in Lucan - as was my mother, her parents, their parents etc etc as far back as we can trace.

The family's homes for well over 150 years were south of the N4 and were definitely considered Lucan. Check out the 1911 census for example - all of the areas like Finnstown, Tobermaclugg, Esker and Adamstown are listed as Lucan.

In my experience, people whose families have lived in Lucan for decades - since at least the 50s - consider all of the area including Laraghon, Coldblow, Westmanstown, Esker, Finnstown and even what is now Adamstown, to be Lucan. The border with the Clondalkin area seems to be considered "The Bush of Balgaddy".

People who moved in later - mostly from the 60s onwards - seem to only consider the village to be Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

http://www.osi.ie/

Click on the map and you can view arial photos from 2005, 2000 and 1995. Also the old 6'' maps which show you the original Lucan road.

A new addition to this map is a little toggle that lets you overlay the old map onto the current map.........you can slide it back and forward making either map clearer, but you can see both at the same time if you like. This makes it really easy to compare old and new.....especially well on the Lucan Road!

When you go to www.osi.ie initially, you need to go next to "online shop", then click "orthphotography" and finally "Browse maps". You can choose what image to look at by clicking on the map key. The sliding toggle is at the bottom of the key!

Here's the full link http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Overlay works a treat,nice find.:)

Historic 6 with 32% overlay shows up the old Lucan road a treat and pretty much as i remember it.

Advertisement