Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiz Khalifa

• 31-03-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Anyone got the new album 'Rolling Papers'? I'm hoping mine is delivered today!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Yeah I have didn't really like it at all. Heard his mixtapes are meant to be much better but haven't listened to any of them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The dude has fantastic beats but I got tired of his stuff really quickly. Same vague subject matter in every song. He's a poor mans Curren$y.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'd agree with Shapey, his beats are sublime but his lyrical content gets old very quickly. I'd even go as far to say that this album is a step down from his mixtape 'Kush & Orangejuice'.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Album didn't arrive yesterday but i read an online review yesterday and it said it got kinda boring after the first 3 songs and picked up again on the last track...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After much hype about wiz, I got bored of him very quickly. But i'm still gonna give the new record a listen when I get my hands on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Wiz is probably my favourite rapper at the moment, saying that, Rolling Papers was a bit of a disappointment. There are, for me, 3 tracks I love at the mo, No Sleep, Roll Up and Top Floor... And 3 tracks I loved when they were leaked were Fly Solo, On My Level and Black and Yellow.

The only reason it was dissappointing was because I thought his mixtape Cabin Fever which dropped last month was better. This album was clearley aimed at more radio friendly tracks. Saying that im still liking it, but I can definately see why others are getting bored of it.

As for the "poor mans Curren$y" comment I read above, while I am also a fan of Spitta, he hasnt been able to touch Wiz in the last 18 months. His Pilot Talk albums were lazy and Smokee Robinson mixtape was meh. Wiz has been putting out the best mixtapes around and got a huge fanbase, aswell as a #1 single in Black and Yellow (btw No Sleep is currently #6 on the billboard charts) which is why there was so much expectation over his first album, but honestly it hasnt lived up to the mixtapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Album is nothing special, some seriously weak tracks, a lot of his mixtape stuff is a lot better IMO. He's just very popular with the teen audience at the moment, chances are he'll have another album out by the end of the year, more of the same really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not to steer the topic off course but the Pilot Talk albums were two of the best from last year imo.

As for Rolling Papers I haven't listened yet but I find it difficult to get into his stuff anyway. I always tend to lose interest halfway through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Makaveli wrote: »
    Not to steer the topic off course but the Pilot Talk albums were two of the best from last year imo.

As for Rolling Papers I haven't listened yet but I find it difficult to get into his stuff anyway. I always tend to lose interest halfway through.

Really? I must give them another go so. I listened to them both through once, there was a few tracks I thought were good but I didnt like them enough to warrant another listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Other then the Cabin Fever EP Wiz has yet to release anything comparable in quality to what Curren$y has put out over the last couple of years. Curren$y is a far superior MC and the more consistent artist. How exactly anyone can think two of the most critically acclaimed Hip-Hop albums of the past few years - the two Pilot Talks - were 'lazy' is beyond me. I mean clearly huge amounts of thought and work was put into both. Ski Beatz production alone makes them stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

What good tracks does he have? I've given the album a listen and it's a 5/10 for me. Nothing special at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I'd prefer Domo Genisis's Rolling Papers album over Wiz's

Wiz's album isn't terrible, but its another example of a rapper dropping a mixtape(s) that's stronger than their album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

the album is hot trash to be honest and wiz just like most modern day rappers is overated, serioulsy wouldnt like this album or his style as a rapper he raps about a lot of meaningless bullsh*t to be honest.

j.cole is the one too look out for, he is the only new rapper who i think has proper talent aswell as actually having the potential to live up to the hype surrounding him something a lot of new rappers havnt done.

rumor has it wiz got amber rose's name tattooed on his hand already what a clown:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Yep great album :)

Advertisement