Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as a 2 way flat socket adapter???

Options
  • 31-03-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a house that was built well over 20 years ago so electrical sockets are all single and scarce!

I'm looking for a 2 way plug adaptor that is flat iykwim. Not one of those block ones but a neat flat one that would be flush with the wall... I've come across these with 4 sockets on them but I'm looking for a 2 way version. I've searched Ebay and Amazon but no luck. Does such a thing even exist or should I give up the search?! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i have definitely seen them in NZ :D almost everyone has them
    i have seen one here before but cant remember where maybe try the argos catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

i have definitely seen them in NZ :D almost everyone has them
    i have seen one here before but cant remember where maybe try the argos catalogue

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Just tried the trusty Argos catalogue and they only have the block ones or with an extension lead. :rolleyes:

I have a niece in NZ, if she got me a few would they be compatable with the UK system??

sadly not the NZ ones look like this
    NZ_multiPlugs.jpg

and these are the multi ones too :D

sadly not the NZ ones look like this
    NZ_multiPlugs.jpg

and these are the multi ones too :D

Wow! They look great! Pity they won't work here though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

sudzs wrote: »
    Just moved into a house that was built well over 20 years ago so electrical sockets are all single and scarce!

I'm looking for a 2 way plug adaptor that is flat iykwim. Not one of those block ones but a neat flat one that would be flush with the wall... I've come across these with 4 sockets on them but I'm looking for a 2 way version. I've searched Ebay and Amazon but no luck. Does such a thing even exist or should I give up the search?! :rolleyes:

Might be worth getting an electrician in to look, depending on how the sockets are mounted it might be quite easy to change a few of the singles to doubles. If the electrics are old would be worth having someone look at them anyway, wouldn't take too long.

If you want to do it "cheap" you could just get these from Maplin ( i think i saw them in some garages too):-
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/1-to-4-way-plug-in-surge-adaptor-224807

They are usually about a €10 or so might not be that cheap. So at that price it might be cheaper to get an electrician in to change over some of the sockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Converting a single to a double is straightforward and if you're looking at redecorating, then it would definitely be worth getting an electrician in to knock some holes in the wall before you start painting or plastering.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

we keep these on the shelf......not as flat as a standard twin but better then a double adaptor.

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/image.pl?b=5031684852963&s=450&t=z&i=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

seamus wrote: »
    Converting a single to a double is straightforward and if you're looking at redecorating, then it would definitely be worth getting an electrician in to knock some holes in the wall before you start painting or plastering.

Its straight forward enough for any decent sparks to change singles to doubles without any re-decorating required or if not re-decorating anyway, and look as good as if they were originally doubles, and likely better than the old singles ones they replaced.

those are the ones i was thinking about except it was just a 2 way splitter

Thanks for all the replies! :)

We're renting this place so getting a sparks in isn't really an option. :(

Originally Posted by DublinDilbert View Post
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/1-to-4-way-p...adaptor-224807
    those are the ones i was thinking about except it was just a 2 way splitter

That's just what I'm after but with just 2 sockets! It's the narrow end of a counter and the 4 way would stick out like a sore thumb. If only they made those for just 2 plugs. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement