Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK Dunbrody Festival

Options
  • 31-03-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the line-up is being announced?

I'm presuming it would be soon if its in July?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Typical ross thing, they have have last years website and facebook. i've been telling people in work about it but cant even give them a definite date not to mind the line up. i presume its the weekend of the 22nd july, surely a day out for mary byrne.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It looks like we are getting UB40 and the Coronas here in Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

scaller wrote: »
    It looks like we are getting UB40 and the Coronas here in Enniscorthy

In fairness everybody's had the corona's :p wouldn't stop me going again though :cool:

wexfjord wrote: »
    Typical ross thing, they have have last years website and facebook. i've been telling people in work about it but cant even give them a definite date not to mind the line up. i presume its the weekend of the 22nd july, surely a day out for mary byrne.

really bad organising, then again I'm not surprised. Let's hope it won't be another Jedward!:(

Ledger wrote: »
    really bad organising, then again I'm not surprised. Let's hope it won't be another Jedward!:(

Vanilla Ice was the bomb though. He owes his career revival to jedward. sharon shannon is surely due a return to ross, or the saw doctors.

the festival wont be the same without sean conn1cks political influence, he did say we'd regret not returning him to the dail. fair play to all involved in organising the festival, but while they claim it to be for the benefit of the town, i generally see it as feathering their own nests. conn1ck used it build his profile, crosb1e and k1ely to promote their respective egos. last years ticketing was linked in to conn1cks croney in the theatre, whom he appointed to BIM before he was sacked by the people of wexford. (to be fair the coronas were great as were some of the acts we have seen for free in the past, i'm just being a cynical pr1ck)

they employed a massive number of security personnel last year. there are many psa licence holders in the town who could have done with a few bob and possibly given them the experience needed to secure further employment in the industry. instead the contracts were sent out of the county altogether, with only a few local people employed.

in saying all that i'm sure i'll be there again this year. i gave it a miss for several years because of the BS that goes with it but the kids love it.

hopefully some enterprising locals will get in on the crafts bandwagon this year and make a few bob, those market stalls are not coming to town for the fun of it, there must be money to be made. hawkers come all the way from france and romania to sell to the paddy, surely we have something to offer.

well done by the way to sean re1dy and his famine ship. i know it was founded initially by others but his driving force has made it a national tourist attraction sited on one of the main thoroughfares into the country. the construction of the new visitor centre and irish american hall of fame is pure genius and will lure the yanks in. its a pity that there is currently a proposal to remove parking spaces from the area as large tracts of tarmac are seemingly "unsightly", who needs the revenue that these spaces generate. they've cut spaces on the north quay, supervalu car park, and now the south quay. dunnes are holding them over a barrel with the withdrawal of parking opposite the dunbrody centre, the ultimate revenge on a town that kept the national retailer out of town all those years ago, sending jobs and further revenue out of town and on to waterford.

as was mentioned in ledgers other thread, sean lyons development in rosbercon looks to be a great addition to the town. lets just bear in mind that he is a speculative developer whose sole aim is to make money. i welcome his vision for the area but i hope the market is there for it as a part utilised development will serve only as another blight on the town.

now all we need is for someone to take over the albatros plant, the notion of putting a food production facility on one of the most polluted sites in the country was a panicked pre election farce. if it was only developed as a lorry yard for one of our big haulage companies, it would be less than ideal ,but a far better way of greeting visitors to the town. it would send out signals of economic and industrial prosperity rather than dilapidation and decay.

sorry for going slightly off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Couldn't agree with you more Wexfjord - but what a shocker in the middle of your text :-

"last years ticketing was linked in to conn1cks croney in the theatre, whom he appointed to BIM before he was sacked by the people of wexford"

can't believe I didn't hear that one before - what a sickener and theres me thinking he was alright...................thats me finished with All politicans after that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Why do they use these French Markets every year , -

I paid € 5 for a bar of soap one year ,and it turned out to be just the same / worse than normal bars of soap .

Their food / sweets are way overpriced too .-

Its a bit like french kissing, the first few times come with bragging rights.

1966 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more Wexfjord - but what a shocker in the middle of your text :-

"last years ticketing was linked in to conn1cks croney in the theatre, whom he appointed to BIM before he was sacked by the people of wexford"

can't believe I didn't hear that one before - what a sickener and theres me thinking he was alright...................thats me finished with All politicans after that !!

hmmm, sarcasm???

derrycat wrote: »
    What ever you may say about Connick, he worked damn hard for the Dunbrody festival, wonder what will your local TD ( Mick Wallace ) contribute to proceedings this year?????

Connick in my opinion took a lot of credit for others' work.

• Advertisement

Thats your opinion but as someone involved in the background Connick did a lot of work which he took no credit for!!!
    I will ask again " what will Mr Wallace do for his local festival this year"?

I would'nt consider Mr Wallace to be local to New Ross - the nearest to that, is the fact that he was born in w/bridge ( 15 miles away )

imo - his input to the festival will be zero , as will his input into any other New Ross local issues .

The people of County Wexford made a real big mistake on March 25th - but you can't turn back the clock .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Hopefully things are looking good now that the Minister Of State position vacated by Sean Connick has now be filled by our local lad, Paul Kehoe. Lets see how that pans out.

As for Dunbrody Festival. I dont believe that a lineup is even booked yet although i could be wrong.
    Best of luck to the lads though as they have established one of Irelands best town festivals in recent years.
    Ive no doubt they'll be back with something great this year.

I think you'll find that Wallace is championing the 'national politics' thingy rather than the parish pump variety. pity some of the other funkers didnt do the same.

Thats your opinion but as someone involved in the background Connick did a lot of work which he took no credit for!!!
    I will ask again " what will Mr Wallace do for his local festival this year"?

Which is why I said "Im my opinion" :rolleyes:

What ever you may say about Connick, he worked damn hard for the Dunbrody festival, wonder what will your local TD ( Mick Wallace ) contribute to proceedings this year?????

didnt have time to reply to this the other day, your statement encapsulates everything that is wrong with politics in ireland. wallace has already spoken more in the dail than connick did in a couple of years. i'm not a follower of the messianic wallace, but i'll give him a chance, just like i did for connick. i believe that seanies cynical local approach is endemic of fianna fail politics, surely his last grasp attempt to put a sugar factory on the albatros site shows how desperate he became during the pre election phase. a desperate man making a fool of desperate farmers who are seeking to re-establish an industry that was destroyed by a government who read a report incorrectly.

the very notion that they would dissolve a viable industry because it may fail in the future is a complete farce. i would have more respect for connick if he had defended this industry at the time, he was a local politician, a voice for the people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You summed up Connick there - he is a local politician for the local people .

Not a National Politician .

He fail on both counts 'imo'.

almost ? - dry ones I reckon !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Connick is no John Browne, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

TheChevron wrote: »
    Connick is no John Browne, thats for sure.
    oh for god sake from bad to worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Jeez sean connick reminds me of Garth Brooks in that second picture

Jeez sean connick reminds me of Garth Brooks in that second picture

Only thing is that only one of them qualifies as a cowboy.

It could be Senator Sean Connick next month , if Mr Martin gets his way .

It could be Senator Sean Connick next month , if Mr Martin gets his way .

Fingers crossed. Jim Walsh is a great role model for him.

Fingers crossed. Jim Walsh is a great role model for him.

I think you mean a '' grate roll moddle '' .

Anyway this thread has gone totally off topic , - where did we go wrong ?

I think you mean a '' grate roll moddle '' .

Anyway this thread has gone totally off topic , - where did we go wrong ?

Dunno, but its nice to be able to admit ones collective mistakes, re-evaluate the situation and move on.

I for one hope that connick makes a comeback to the stage of the dunbrody festival this year, as for the other acts, we can only speculate.

well we've had tributes to Michael Jackson , Abba , and Queen .

Would be nice to have tribute to Joe Dolan next .

There is no doubt that this sweet little Rock and Roller of a tribute would leave you wanting More and More and More by the end of the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

It was Jedward last year, as someone said earlier in this thread said it'll probaly be a day out for Mary Byrne this year.

Whatever people's opinion are about Connick, New Ross made a terrible mistake by not getting him back in. Now there's no one for the area. A good man who did just as good as anyone in Dáil Eireann both past and present in my opinion. But because he was Fine Fáil he was bound to fall like the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

So does anyone have any inside info of what weekend date it will be on?
    Surely the organisers have picked a weekend date by now and can share at least these dates with the public.

Its a disappointing thing about the internet when owners of websites fail to keep it updated. Displaying 2010 information in 2011 on the main page when it should say at least something like "Dunbrody Festival 2011 will be held on the following Weekend. Come back soon for lineup". 2010 info should be moved to a previous years/ last year web page link.

• Advertisement

22-24th july, no line up yet

Advertisement