Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you buy for yourself?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I am less then a week away from a probable diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. My Mother has it and my symptoms began two weeks ago after a bad virus. My MRI was done on Monday and two obvious 'lit up' areas were noted in the report. I will be seeing my neurologist on Tuesday and it just got me thinking how much of a landmark day it will be IF I am diagnosed and how I will mark it.

My Mam was diagnosed in December '99 and on the way home from the neurologist she bought a new Christmas tree and really beautiful decorations. She also bought a new car a few months later and unfortunately had to let it go the following year because her eyesight is so badly affected and she hasn't been able to drive since.

I think a new phone would be a practical choice for me, the screen is tiny on the one I have now and I think I'd be able to manage a touchscreen better when my hands get sore or stiff. I'd also like to print and frame some photo's as I've been threatening to do it for ages.

Sorry if this all seems a bit trivial but it's keeping my mind off things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I got accepted into college the day I was diagonised. Does that count?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

First things first, IF you are diagnosed, there is no guarantee that you will follow a similar path to your mum.

I'd book myself a nice spa treatment either way. If you need to talk, there are a good few of us on here with MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

When I got diagnosed with MS, I was VERY ill with symptoms so I got loads of new pairs of pjs. I spent a fortune on shower gels and moisturisers as showering and fresh jammies were the only things I could do to feel a bit better. I also bought a new, easier to use phone due to the tingles and weakness in my hands. I like "treating" myself so this was easy for me! When I got a bit better, I went for a spa break with my mam, which really helped with the "avoiding stress" part of MS :)

If you are diagnosed, realise that everyone's path is different and it really ISN'T the end of the world. It's taken me a while to get to the point of saying that. I was diagnosed in Oct and have only started improving in the last month but have literally never felt better.

Good luck x (but treat yourself either way!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I got accepted into college the day I was diagonised. Does that count?!

Suppose it does, I'm sure it cheered you up anyway :)
    First things first, IF you are diagnosed, there is no guarantee that you will follow a similar path to your mum.

I'd book myself a nice spa treatment either way. If you need to talk, there are a good few of us on here with MS

Thanks, I know I could be affected in a completely different way to my Mam, she is one of the unfortunate few in Ireland that has almost lost all of her vision because of MS.

My parents are adamant that I go on a holiday IF I am diagnosed so I won't refuse. Thanks again, I will let you all know how I get on.
    ElleEm wrote: »
    When I got diagnosed with MS, I was VERY ill with symptoms so I got loads of new pairs of pjs. I spent a fortune on shower gels and moisturisers as showering and fresh jammies were the only things I could do to feel a bit better. I also bought a new, easier to use phone due to the tingles and weakness in my hands. I like "treating" myself so this was easy for me! When I got a bit better, I went for a spa break with my mam, which really helped with the "avoiding stress" part of MS :)

If you are diagnosed, realise that everyone's path is different and it really ISN'T the end of the world. It's taken me a while to get to the point of saying that. I was diagnosed in Oct and have only started improving in the last month but have literally never felt better.

Good luck x (but treat yourself either way!!!)

Thank you so much, I'm hoping that having lived with a parent with MS for 11 years it will make my diagnosis easier as my Mam has a great life and we have a really good relationship.

Advertisement