Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone ever open the back of their slurry tanker

• 31-03-2011 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

hey
    have an abbey tanker and while peaking in with torch recently i was a bit taken aback by the amount of stones in there..thats the problem with taking water from the river i guess, anyway just wondering if its a big deal to open that section at the back, on abbey tank there are 4 big wing nut type things to loosen, seems straight forward enough but just wondered if there is a seal or anything inside that might get damged when opening or is it as easy as it seems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Clean ours out with high pressure hose in the dairy yearly. All our major has is 5 bolts and a ruber seal, never had any hardship yet. Does be alot of sand/twigs/stones etc in ours aswel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Should be possible, park it on a hill, makes the job easier. Dont think its that heavy, but you might want to suspend the door out of a loader when you're taking it off.

This is why I bought a Rossmore tanker!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I have a Major and have opened it several times, there is a rubber seal there but goes on again no bother. You’ll be amazed at what comes out! My old Hi-spec had a hinge making it easiers/safer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

blue5000 wrote: »
    Should be possible, park it on a hill, makes the job easier. Dont think its that heavy, but you might want to suspend the door out of a loader when you're taking it off.

yep i see some tanks now have a stone trap now whihc is a good idea, next time im going to the river must try a big of mesh over the end of the pipe or something, there are some big enough stones gone up into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

blue5000 wrote: »

What is the advantage of the Rossmore?

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    What is the advantage of the Rossmore?

the entire back end is hinged i think

Yesterday I had a problem with the ram on the spreading door of my tanker (Major). It basicially wouldn't open. I took the whole thing apart and found that the bar between the ram and the round brass door had loosened and come off. i also found the housing that the door moves up into when opened was fill of grass/silage and the door could only go half way up into it. This meant that the door could only open half way when spreading and was causing a build up of pressure on the pump and meaning that the tanker wasn't spreading as wide as it should be.

I guess its something that should be checked on a regular basis and cleaned out if the door isn't opening fully. The ram is leaking a tiny drip of oil so I have left it in to have new seals put into it today also.

Luckily we got 100,000 gallons of slurry spread up to yesterday evening.m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AtillaTheHun

no prob opening back door.
    i'd suck 2/3 more loads of water with it first though to give it a wash. leave all doors open over night before entering. might be a good idea if there was someone else around while your cleaning it out.
    i'd also give it a lash of the power hose when you open the door first but dont enter it till the following day.

stick a load of greese on the rubber seal when resealing it.

u'll need a pointed shovel

best of luck.

in future make is so your rain gutters can add water to your tanks as needed.

reilig wrote: »
    Yesterday I had a problem with the ram on the spreading door of my tanker (Major). It basicially wouldn't open. I took the while thing apart and found that the bar between the ram and the round brass door had loosened and come off. i also found the housing that the door moves up into when opened was fill of grass/silage and the door could only go half way up into it. This meant that the door could only open half way when spreading and was causing a build up of pressure on the pump and meaning that the tanker wasn't spreading as wide as it should be.

I guess its something that should be checked on a regular basis and cleaned out if the door isn't opening fully. The ram is leaking a tiny drip of oil so I have left it in to have new seals put into it today also.

Luckily we got 100,000 gallons of slurry spread up to yesterday evening.m

there is some amount of stuff spread in the last week i reckon, alot of silage ground covered, i only put out 5 or 6 loads to keep the tank down, hopefully i wil be able to let a few out before its needs doing again, I make the same mistake every year taking out a few loads now and again, you only end up taking out all the water, i would usually empty the tanks then after first cut silage, next year i will just empty the tank before hand, thats the trouble with part time farming , its hard to get time to do jobs right without taking days off

there is some amount of stuff spread in the last week i reckon, alot of silage ground covered, i only put out 5 or 6 loads to keep the tank down, hopefully i wil be able to let a few out before its needs doing again, I make the same mistake every year taking out a few loads now and again, you only end up taking out all the water, i would usually empty the tanks then after first cut silage, next year i will just empty the tank before hand, thats the trouble with part time farming , its hard to get time to do jobs right without taking days off

The new tyres on my tanker meant that i got out on ground that I normall wouldn't get out on until the end of april. I was looking for pig slurry last week when I was agitating to thin it out a bit. My neighbour does the deliveries for the piggery with a 3500 gal tanker. I rang him and he basically told me that I'd have to collect it if I wanted it. The pig farm doesn't allow people to enter the farm to collect slurry for health reasons. He said that he was basically getting as far as the gate of the pig farm and there was a queue of several tankers belonging to local farmers waiting to suck the slurry out of his tank.

It was a great spell of weather. Hopefully it might dry out this evening a bit and I'll get the last of a tank spread too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

the entire back end is hinged i think
    Thats right, door is about 5 ft diameter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 krazyfarmer

I got 8000 gallons of pig slurry delivered for €120. Is this good value?

I got 8000 gallons of pig slurry delivered for €120. Is this good value?

Well considering that pig slurry is valued at €30 per 1000 gallons, you didn't lose. However, the piggery that my neighbour works for that i described above charges €10 per 3500 gal tanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Same story here. Spring is mad busy. I usually end up spreading the slurry after first cut. I'm grazing the silage ground at the minute. Right up to mid April. Think I'll make a big effort weather permitting to get the slurry out on it. It will be eaten to the earth, so contmination should not be a problem. Probably water it down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

BeeDI wrote: »
    Same story here. Spring is mad busy. I usually end up spreading the slurry after first cut. I'm grazing the silage ground at the minute. Right up to mid April. Think I'll make a big effort weather permitting to get the slurry out on it. It will be eaten to the earth, so contmination should not be a problem. Probably water it down as well.

Well slurry spread after first cut is supposed to loose all of it's Nitrogen content.

We used to always spread after cutting but not for the last few years. Especially considering how the price of N has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

open our conor tanker once a year a rake of sediment and all sorts of stuff build up there. once i found a manure bag full of empty bulmers bottles a few broke a few were not!!!!!. ripp the four bolts and remove the whole block away. quiet a tight squeeze getting in aswell got 2 wheel barrows of sediment and stones the last time i opened it up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

yup and broke one of the bolts the wing nut screws onto to :D just 3 nuts holding the back of our tank on now. still no drips coming from it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I was on work experience with Conor Engineering and during one boring lunch time, climbed into the back of a tanker :D that's my ''claim to fame'' haha.

Advertisement