Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retriever problem

• 31-03-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭

Have my dog since May hes just over year old now but becoming bit of a problem couple of things he does.

He is jumping on me or others in the house and nipping at me or biting not hard enough to really hurt but hurts all same. He does this at random and nothing you do will get him to stop he is even humping my legs at times when he does it.

The dog is big and only going get bigger hes strong and although i can control him my mother and youngest brother cant.

Has anyone ever had this problem ? I have looked it up online and they say to walk away or take his attention away with something else but easyer said then done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

has he been neutered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is he neutered, if not then I think it would be a good start.

How much exercise does he get?

Sounds like you could also do with some good basic obedience classes so your mother and brother can learn how to handle him. http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/home.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Here is what we did to train ours:

When he tried to bite I held his snout with my hand. It was my vet that recommended this. It completely worked.

The jumping up: we turned our back on him and did not look or speak to him, only to say 'no'. He soon realised that we were not going to allow this to continue. Some ppl said to push at his back legs as this automatically brings him back down. When we turned our backs it was always done with a command like 'no'.

We trained the word no to any behaviour that we did not like.

To this day he always knows what no means regardless of what he is doing.

Also, make sure that he is getting plenty of exercise. Esp train him well on the lead now as this can lead to problems down the line when he is even bigger and stronger. I use a harness which I find is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

He has not been neutered no i have taught bout this but guess was unsure.

He is out pretty much every day round park and village with me.
    What is happening is when im busy he does not always get brought out.

Hes a well behaved dog for most and i have managed to get him to calm down a fair bit but theres certain things finding harder as one day hes fine next hes doing stupid things.

verywell wrote: »
    Here is what we did to train ours:

When he tried to bite I held his snout with my hand. It was my vet that recommended this. It completely worked.

The jumping up: we turned our back on him and did not look or speak to him, only to say 'no'. He soon realised that we were not going to allow this to continue. Some ppl said to push at his back legs as this automatically brings him back down. When we turned our backs it was always done with a command like 'no'.

We trained the word no to any behaviour that we did not like.

To this day he always knows what no means regardless of what he is doing.

Also, make sure that he is getting plenty of exercise. Esp train him well on the lead now as this can lead to problems down the line when he is even bigger and stronger. I use a harness which I find is great.

I have tried some of the things u mentioned i always turn around and ignore him or grab his snout problem being with that is if i respond to him with any kind of resistance he takes it as playing and makes situation even worse.

He jumps up on me and starts biting and pulling at my clothes and legs just out of the blue even when ur playing with him. He will go threw stages of being fine one day then 2 or 3 later a bollox.

• Advertisement

Ok you need to always remain calm. expect that he will do it and when it happens correct him calmly and make sure that he is quietened. What I mean by quietened is, if you see him getting excited like he thinks its a game, stand your spot and repeat no and walk away and then ignore him.

When you are holding his snout does he do anything? Does he yelp?

verywell wrote: »
    Ok you need to always remain calm. expect that he will do it and when it happens correct him calmly and make sure that he is quietened. What I mean by quietened is, if you see him getting excited like he thinks its a game, stand your spot and repeat no and walk away.

When you are holding his snout does he do anything? Does he yelp?

I tend to not get the chance to do it very much as when u go to try he will bite ur hand. Its hard to get him to stop cause he gets over powering and i know its not fixing the problem but him doing this for no reason is only putting me and rest family off even going near him. Its pissing my mother off cause she cant go out back garden or even put clothes on the line as most time he will just jump all over her.

This could become a big problem for you and your family if it's not sorted (which I am sure you already know this). Sounds like he def thinks he is the boss. I know mine certainly did/does.

I used to repeat to myself 'I am the boss of you' over and over in my head to get a sense that I am in control and I will get my hand around his snout. Say to yourself, you are not going to bite me! I an in control of you! Mad it sounds I know but when you really believe that you can control him and not the other way around, your demeanour will change and he will sense it. Def get that hand around his snout, do not let him pull away.

Do not let anyone get afraid of him as that will be no life for you, your mam or him.

It is hard, I know, but all achieveable with (a lot) of patience.

Thanks for the advice.

Overall i tend to have most control over him he just gets fits of jumping and bitting at times and it tends be worse with other members my family.

Would having him Neutered be a good idea in general?

I mean i have been told before to get it done but figured if i dont need to leave the dog be.

The breeder i bought the dog from even told my mother dont get it done it destroys the dog ??

Yes, neutering should help your problem but he also needs proper training so this behaviour doesn't become habit. That breeder was talking rubbish if you don't mind me saying so. Who told you to get it done before?

You also need to address the exercise issue. He needs regular exercise, not just when you're not busy so are there any dog walkers in your area or would your mother not take him out?

Also what are you feeding him? Make sure the protein level is not too high as it can make them a bit bonkers.

Going to a good training class as I've mentioned before or using tips from a good site like this one http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/digital-dog-training-textbook will really help in the long run.

• Advertisement

I thought a long time about getting mine neutered. I wasn't sure about it but I knew I was not going to breed him as I wanted him as a pet and nothing more. And there was enough puppies in the world and I think my heart would have been broken sending them off. I def would have wanted them to stay with me if I had had a bitch as well!

It solved problems for us, as once he got the scent of a women :) he was gone down the road like a rocket! That all changed (obviously) when he was done.

He is a good dog now but he still has his moments but for the most part is v well behaved. He still has his sense of fun and loves to play and go for walks and absolutely loves water. When I can I bring him to ravines of water to let him plow around in it and the look of pure bliss on his face makes it all worthwhile. Most of the time he just sits in abig puddle and does nothing but lies there.

Just saw the bit you added about the breeder! RUBBISH, it does not destroy the dog!

Other people i know with dogs mentioned to me before would u not get it done it might help.

Hes fed dog meal maybe odd time scraps never any **** i tend to try not feed him rubbish but ya the odd time you throw him something.

Me ma takes him out sometimes its mostly me i tend have better control over him when hes out. She has problems with her back at times so him pulling her around wont work.

I have two brothers ones 10 others 21 the 21 year old brings him out to but has very little time for it as if dog annoys him he just gives up.

I had problems at start with walking him but ive found my own way with calming him down and has made big difference he only gives me problem when he sees other dogs.

a great thing we did was to learn how to cycle and let him run beside me. It is not for the faint hearted as you have to watch him like a hawk.

If you run at all he will run along with you and will love it.

Try to tire him out by good exercise. It sounds like at the moment he has too much excess energy that needs to be worked off. They also bond with the ppl that bring them out for walks.

I have not let him off the lead out yet as just afraid he will jump on someone or run off somewhere i cant get hold of him.

I live were theres a big park and plenty fields but theres also alot of main roads connected to almost everything.

It would be simple if i could say ya everyone is going do same as me but if i dont bring him out he more then likely wont be brought out. Im with the dog alot but theres days im not there and hes just out bk on his own all day.

Some more good tips here particularly the one on leash reactivity if you are having problems with him on lead with other dogs http://petcentral.yolasite.com/printables.php

Check the protein level of your dog meal As I said some of these have extremely high protein levels and can cause problems. You should have him on something around the 20 to 22% mark.

Well that certainly will add to the problem. He is a young dog and will need regular exercise. They are a creature of habit. As a previous poster suggested, get some help before things get out of hand and / or you decide to re-home him.

I really hope it works out for you. They are a lovely pet to have. Mine makes me laugh every day with his silly antics :) and although it can be hard work and there are times that I really do not want to go for walks it is all worthwhile.

Agree! You need to sort the exercise issue. He'll go crazy out the back on his own all day. No wonder he's jumping all over your mother. Is he not allowed in the house?

Also meant to add. We trained ours with treats as he loves his food. Have you tried treat training?

Hes in the house a fair bit and hes fine most time he will just walk around nose a bit then sit there and just watch what your doing.

Any training i have done with him was either with small treats or by responding to what he does well by petting and saying good boy.

I always let him know when hes wrong or if he does something right.

Hes a great dog and i love him no way do i want get rid him just hard when i do one thing and rest do another and i keep saying this that if i treat him a certain way and everyone else treats him different hes never going to learn anything.

You're right there, everybody needs to be doing the same thing or else he'll get completely confused.

• Advertisement

Yes I know where you are coming from. I live in a house share so not everyone will do the same as me but he knows that mammy is the boss and no one else. :)

The only thing with petting him and saying good boy as a reward is that you may also do that in a general way and he might not understand that that is the reward for good behaviour, if you know what I mean?

I would go back to treats again. Read the tips given and with a clear, calm and bossy head, start again. Try to get your older brother to bring him out when you are not available.

Try to explain that unless everyone participates he will continue with the same behaviour and no one will be happy in the end

My mother just starting get pissed off that she cant do anything with her back garden that he has it wrecked and so on. She wants be able bring him out but he pulls alot on the lead. She uses a harness when bringing him out i bought it in pet shop was recommended. I dont use this as i feel i am able to have more control over him with the lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

When he jumps up bring your knee up to meet him and push him away...

Dunno what to do about the nipping mine never did that luckily enough

Give it one more shot by trying to sort him out yourself otherwise perhaps invest in a trainer to sort out these issues and then you and your mam can enjoy the joys of owning a retriever :)

I would first have him neutered and then enrol him in a good training class with yourself and your mum. Training a dog is as much about training the owners how to correct undesirable behaviour. If she feels a bit happier about knowing what to do with him then you'll find she'll put in more effort.

^^ excellent advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have not let him off the lead out yet as just afraid he will jump on someone or run off somewhere i cant get hold of him.

I live were theres a big park and plenty fields but theres also alot of main roads connected to almost everything.

It would be simple if i could say ya everyone is going do same as me but if i dont bring him out he more then likely wont be brought out. Im with the dog alot but theres days im not there and hes just out bk on his own all day.

I'm sorry, but this is the problem. He is lonely and bored, so when someone is around and goes out to see him, or just go out to the garden he is desperate for attention.

Please get everyone in the family to spend time with him, let him in the house, get other people to walk and train him. Even just spending 10 minutes training him to sit, down, stay etc, and rewarding him with treats will help him to bond with people.

What sort of harness did your Mum buy for him? Harnesses usually encourage pulling, unless its one of the sensible ones? Maybe try a dogmatic head collar instead?

Poor dog, really harsh, but if the rest of the family aren't interested in him, I would suggest you rehome him. This situation has the potential to turn out very badly for the dog.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Toulouse wrote: »
    I would first have him neutered and then enrol him in a good training class with yourself and your mum. Training a dog is as much about training the owners how to correct undesirable behaviour. If she feels a bit happier about knowing what to do with him then you'll find she'll put in more effort.

+1 - If you're in Dublin I'd recommend dog training ireland for training.

I have a golden retriever - he's 2 in July. Giving out to him, holding his snout etc is a waste of time imo - you're giving him the attention he wants. Pick a word to use when he's bold (we say too bad) and you say that word/phrase, turn your back and fold your ams. If he still jumps up say the word again and put him out room/out the back for a minute or two. He'll get the messaage in no time. There's one person in our family the dog will jump up at - because he entertains him by roaring and shouting at him if he goes to jump instead of turning his back and walking away.
    Food wise when i switched my guy to Burns he calmed right down and also doing training classes made a huge difference because it exhausts them - much more than walking etc - NB he should only be getting 5 mins per month of age as over excercising can damage their joints.
    For walking we use a sensible harness and it really helps. I wouldn't recommened haltis etc as he's a gun dog and they like to walk with their nose to the ground! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I have a goldie and he is the most stubborn dog I have ever met but we love him and it has taken us all his 2 years to get him to where he is now which most the time is well behaved ...

He jumped --- we ignored, folded our arms and he soon got the message .. same when any visitors arrive ...they need to ignore him till he is calm

as for the walking get ourself a Dogmatic http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

You need ALOT of patience with a goldie (with all dogs im sure) ... we had terrilble food aggression issues when he was young ...i took him to training which i/nor he enjoyed and i got a behavourist in which i almost ran after 15 mins as she was a snotty person that in my opinion didnt even like dogs ...

I did lots of research and applied a nothing in life for nothing .... he wants somit he earns it and now he knows IM THE BOSS :P

for example he doesnt get outside the door till he sits and is calm and gives me his paw .... no eating till he gets permission etc .... he also works for his treats ...

he doesnt Jump and walks well most of the time

no more food agression in fact im begging him to eat some days ... :P

best of luck ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

shelly_g wrote: »
    I have a goldie and he is the most stubborn dog I have ever met but we love him and it has taken us all his 2 years to get him to where he is now which most the time is well behaved ...

He jumped --- we ignored, folded our arms and he soon got the message .. same when any visitors arrive ...they need to ignore him till he is calm

as for the walking get ourself a Dogmatic http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

You need ALOT of patience with a goldie (with all dogs im sure) ... we had terrilble food aggression issues when he was young ...i took him to training which i/nor he enjoyed and i got a behavourist in which i almost ran after 15 mins as she was a snotty person that in my opinion didnt even like dogs ...

I did lots of research and applied a nothing in life for nothing .... he wants somit he earns it and now he knows IM THE BOSS :P

for example he doesnt get outside the door till he sits and is calm and gives me his paw .... no eating till he gets permission etc .... he also works for his treats ...

he doesnt Jump and walks well most of the time

no more food agression in fact im begging him to eat some days ... :P

best of luck ...

Wow my guy is the complete opposite!! He loves going to class and his tail wags the whole time we're there and the same when we train at home. He gets learns stuff really quickly too - clicker training works really well for him.

Advertisement