Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retriever problem

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks everyone for the replys.

The dog is family pet hes well looked after always treated well i give him alot of my time when im home which is most the week.

There will be days where we dont always get the time to bring him out or spend long time with him but still get some time during them days to spend with him.

I just spent the last hour or so out back with him playing with him grooming him just sitting outside with him he is happy to just be around people most the time hes asleep in shade out back now.

Ill bring him down the park and fields later on as i usually wait till there less kids around.

Im gonna make sure me brother kinda helps out a bit cause its not like dog is negelted just i have me own life to :pac: If was up to me id have him doing things all the time so if i get everyone else to pitch in bit he be fine.

I have very little problems with him think just fact everyone in the house needs to show him how to act as he will usually treat us all differently at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm really sorry, but saying there are some days when he doesn't get out isn't good enough. He has to go out every single day, this is part of the commitment that you agree to when you get a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP for the days when you're busy have you thought of daycare? My guy goes a couple of days a week - it's brilliant for socilaizing them and using up their energy.

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm really sorry, but saying there are some days when he doesn't get out isn't good enough. He has to go out every single day, this is part of the commitment that you agree to when you get a dog.

What did i say? I said it will be sorted im not only one in the family its kinda all been left down to me and i didnt even buy the dog.

Couple of days every now and again is not going to kill the dog hes out every day the week unless the weather is awful or the chance im not there and me brother didnt bring him.

So its not like it happens often. And any the days he didnt get to go out its not like he was left there and forgotten about he was still in company my family in the house or out back and still got attention and exercise.

If i taught the dog wasnt been looked after i wouldnt keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elaine01

I would definitely get him neutered to start off with - Ive had 2 goldens and got both done and the difference was noticeable - and my first one lived until he was 16! Training is essential with these dogs as they can take over (sounds like whats happening). Mine is now 2 1/2 and is only now calm on walks. Also if you dont have time to walk can u even get one of those ball throwers and get him running after tennis balls for 15/20 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

tk123 wrote: »
    Wow my guy is the complete opposite!! He loves going to class and his tail wags the whole time we're there and the same when we train at home. He gets learns stuff really quickly too - clicker training works really well for him.

treat training works on mine :) they are all different ...he likes to be at home learning ... he was restless in the class

elaine01 wrote: »
    I would definitely get him neutered to start off with - Ive had 2 goldens and got both done and the difference was noticeable - and my first one lived until he was 16! Training is essential with these dogs as they can take over (sounds like whats happening). Mine is now 2 1/2 and is only now calm on walks. Also if you dont have time to walk can u even get one of those ball throwers and get him running after tennis balls for 15/20 minutes?

Think he has a million different ball toys out the back lol.

Ah like i said any day by chance has happened that he wasnt out he still got attention and exercise i love spending time with him and so do my family its just me who is usually the one who trains him walks him and is his master.

I wouldnt let him get mistreated or not looked after cause wouldnt be fair on him or any dog i love dogs always have had good few over the years.

He responds well to training usually so i guess just going have to work harder on getting him to stop bitting and jumping cause i dont want him to end up hurting someone by mistake. I know what hes like random people who never see him wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

shelly_g wrote: »
    treat training works on mine :) they are all different ...he likes to be at home learning ... he was restless in the class

Lol I should have been clearer - a tricker and lots of tasty treats! :D

Advertisement