Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners which will help my poor shins

Options
  • 31-03-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I used to run quite a bit and found that after a few weeks on the roads I would get very painful shin splints, so I rested and then resumed running on grass.
    Recently I have been running on a treadmill every second day (just getting back into it so not very far, 5km usually) and the shin splints have reappeared.
    I appear to run outwards (put pressure away from my instep)...so i need to buy an new pair of runners...can anyone recommend a suitable pair of runners to help me. I cant afford 300 euro for orthotics although I have heard that there are some shoe shops selling less esxpensive ones which may be an option.
    Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Gait analysis is usually recommended for someone new to running, its better than guessing yourself. Lots of shops do it, but I cant recommend one in your area. Gait analysis does get discussed here a bit, with different views on its effectiveness, but I cant see it doing any harm. In any case a shop will show you shoes with different platforms to try on. Other than that a visit to a sports physio might be of help as they can see if there is something wrong which can be sorted by a change in technique or by exercises.

I tend to run 'stiffly' on a tm for some reason, and often feel it in my shins, can you go back to grass and see if its better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rombouts

solerina wrote: »
    Hi All
    I used to run quite a bit and found that after a few weeks on the roads I would get very painful shin splints, so I rested and then resumed running on grass.
    Recently I have been running on a treadmill every second day (just getting back into it so not very far, 5km usually) and the shin splints have reappeared.
    I appear to run outwards (put pressure away from my instep)...so i need to buy an new pair of runners...can anyone recommend a suitable pair of runners to help me. I cant afford 300 euro for orthotics although I have heard that there are some shoe shops selling less esxpensive ones which may be an option.
    Thanks

I have has shin splints and orthotics did not work for me. Get a gait analysis done and possibly go for high cushioned runners. When the shins start to hurt again bin the runners and buy a new pair, I used to continue running in them and it is a false economy, you will end up going to a physio.

There is exercise on the internet to help build up strength in the muscle on your shins the dorsiflexion. I have found these exercises to be the most beneficial having suffered from shin splints in the past.

Btw always got them on the threadmill so maybe avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Maybe try running in just socks for a bit, it free and might save you a couple of hundred euro :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itkEkcQ8WM&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thanks for the replies...I will try gait analysis so...no idea where I will find it in my area but i will have a look, back on grass today and no pain in my shins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Hi Solerina,

Some strengthening exercises and changing my running technique seems to have fixed my own shin splints - fingers crossed, it's been six months since I had any problems now.

The strengthening exercises were prescribed by my physio and were for my glutes and calves particularly.
    The technique change was self prescribed after watching videos similar to the above, I changed from heel striking to more mid/fore-foot striking.

I'd previously had gait analysis and was wearing the recommended shoes when my problem occurred so I'd be slow to think this is entirely the fix. It's part of it but it might be worth thinking about strength/technique too.

Just my 2 cents ...
    PK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Solerina,

Have a mate in tipp who is a sports physio if you do get any problems and want him to look at your running alignment/posture etc. send me a pm for his contact details. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

Outfield sports in Carrick on Suir do gait analysis I'm almost certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

I'm having a similar problem myself. I'm new to running, I started last Oct but had to take most of Feb off because of shin pains. I've have been back running for the last month or so but my right shin is becoming very sore again, it's even a bit painful today, two days after my last run.
    Anyone in the Limerick area who does gait analysis?
    Do they normally charge a fee or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

If you are landing on your heels when you run it may be the cause. I had this problem and a runner with a lower heel which allowed me to land on my mid foot worked. All folks are different tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Oryx wrote: »
    I tend to run 'stiffly' on a tm for some reason, and often feel it in my shins, can you go back to grass and see if its better?

Me too! My shins would burn on the tm. I think it's got something to do with focusing too much on balance causing you to run much stiffer. A little wobble to the left or right on the tm and you could go flying off! Out running on the road you never have that problem so you just run normally.

That's what I think :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement