Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenoblade going to be released in europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Kiith wrote: »
    Iirc, there are two other good ones due out. Last Story and something else.

Pandora's Tower
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vG71FKXvU&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH14glwJX4s

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Level 61 (I think). Haven't played for the last few days because I'm in the
    Capital City of the Mechonis
    and it's just so damn boring. I have to grind to make it up about 5 levels until I can defeat
    Gadolt
    , plus the inside of the
    Mechonis
    is sooooo boring. All metal and stuff. It's worse than Valak Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

DermotOH wrote: »
    Hardly gonna but a Wii just for this

Just started playing a while ago on the PC (emulator) and using my PS3 controller. Plays brilliant :P

I actually do have a Wii, but since I also have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 I just found myself not using the Wii at all. Put it back in the box and has been buried somewhere in the shed for the past 2 years or so. Couldn't be arsed digging it out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Folded and bought it. Wasn't gonna buy anything for the wii for a while but this looks too good to pass up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Currently level 69 with almost 70 hours playtime!
    Just fought Egil there and am back in Junks.

Has anyone else bothered to get the extra talent tree's for their characters? I've spent hours grinding the quests in Colony 9 and the NPC still wont give me the f*cking quest! Grrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can anyone help me out I'm stuck
    In the high entia tomb and can't kill the entia

Can anyone help me out I'm stuck
    In the high entia tomb and can't kill the entia

I'm trying to remember those fights.. So maybe I'm confusing fights here..

Are you playing the
    Melia part?
    or the
    part when you fight the telethia at the end?
    For the Telethia it's important to keep using the Monado ability that strips their aura away.. Otherwise they will block everything.. So I tended to hit them with it, let my talent guage fill up straight away, then save it for when I needed to strip their aura again i.e. don;t blow it on other abilities becuase if they get their aura up and you cant strip it, your screwed.
    For the Melia parts, it was just a stright up fight.. I used to mezz one, put up the heal aura, and kill the other.. rinse repeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started the game last night. Can already see that the battle system is far more involved and less boring than FFXII since you have to take into account positoning, aggro and all the arts do status effects. Think I'm going to enjoy this. Also the sense of scale is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It's arrived this morning :D And herself is due in 6 days which means my 2 weeks off for the new baby can be sprinkled with awesome gameplay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Just arrived from play :D. I'll give it a go when I get back from college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mine arrived this morning too. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I spent 5 hours wandering around the opening area and trying to kill the big worm in the first tunnel. I usually hate sidequests but this game handles them really well. Also the battle system is great. While FFXII required no input from the player, once you set up gambits the CPU works everything out for you, (hell I beat it with one hand literally, I had a broken hand at the time) there's actual strategy required for the battles in this game. Positioning of your characters and the correct use of skills so that your aggro doesn't increase too much and you inflict the right status effects is hugely important. It means with the right strategy you can take on harder enemies if you play well. Also health is returned quickly after a battle and there's no magic points, only a cool down system meaning there's no need to use an osmose spell to make battles even more boring or run around in circles to regain MP like FF12.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm about 8 hours in now and lvl 17. Absolutely loving it. Keep switching between the Japanese and the English dubs. Not sure which one to stick with.

One thing the game has made me realize is how much I needed a damn RGB cable for my Wii. I'm playing on a 29 inch 4:3 Crt (so there are widescreen bars) and it's bloody impossible to read the text for hours with composite. Feckin dot crawl and small white font do not mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I spent 5 hours wandering around the opening area and trying to kill the big worm in the first tunnel. I usually hate sidequests but this game handles them really well. Also the battle system is great. While FFXII required no input from the player, once you set up gambits the CPU works everything out for you, (hell I beat it with one hand literally, I had a broken hand at the time) there's actual strategy required for the battles in this game. Positioning of your characters and the correct use of skills so that your aggro doesn't increase too much and you inflict the right status effects is hugely important. It means with the right strategy you can take on harder enemies if you play well. Also health is returned quickly after a battle and there's no magic points, only a cool down system meaning there's no need to use an osmose spell to make battles even more boring or run around in circles to regain MP like FF12.

There plenty of strategy for FF12's many bosses and gambits wouldn;t be appropriate for the majority of them. If you mean you couls setup gambits to avoid having to fight insignificant enemies manually (since you were now many levels pas them) then you would be correct.

But when are such enemies ever a challenge to begin with?

Yes but the lack of input made the game really boring. Once you went into a new area you would change your gambits in hte first 5 minutes to suit the enemies in the area and then that would be you set for the next 60-90 minutes of boring dungeon crawling, the CPU your gambits managed the rest easily. It was a case of watching the long drawn out boring battles play out before you. It might not have been so bad if it wasn't for the enemies taking so long.

Boss battles worked a lot better but they were few and far between. Also I found that they could all be easily beaten by looking at the HP gauges (I found this was all I was concentrating on during boss battles and healing when appropriate and then using esuna when the boss did a status effect attack. This worked for every boss.

Xenoblade is basically FFXII but it fixes everything that was wrong with FFXII so that it now works properly and even battling the insignificant enemies is fun. It's just a far, far better game. FFXII had potential but also a lot of problems for me. Xenoblade built itself on that potential and is a much better game.

Haven't had much of a chance to play in the last couple of weeks.. But just finished the game (main story line).. Awesome game.. Great story ending..

Here's hoping Nintendo release Pandora's Tower and Last Story soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've put it on the backburner after a long weekend of playing it while sick. Started having weird fever dreams about rebuilding colony 6. Was crazy. Will get back to it this weekend though, assuming i can tear myself away from Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Level 68,
    Galdolt
    is sooo hard to defeat. I'd probably be able to kill him if he didn't call those two Mechon that use lock on. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to grind a couple more levels before I can defeat him, and the Capital of Mechonis is so boring. The only thing is it is a few Mechon.
    I have been trying to level up my arts to advanced though. And getting five stars in each region is impossible. The best I've gotten so far is two stars in Colony 9!

Yep.. easiest way to kill the boss's is to grind a level or two.. The game seems really particular about that, especially towards the end.

Some bosses were unbeatable the first 4-5 times I tried them.. I would go get one level and destroy it first time (even without training any skills) without changing any tactics.

On the bright side.. grinding a level takes no time at all.

The quickest way to grind is to do quests. The exp you get is much bigger than for just killing monsters. It's a game were 1 or 2 levels can make a massive difference. So far I've found that if I do enough quests in an area I'll be fine for whatever comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm about 10 hours in and I'm still at a loss with some of the mechanics.

I see references to Talent Gauge, Aggro, Ether etc. and I've no idea what there about! I have the basic combat sorted but I've no idea if there's stuff I should be keeping an eye on. It's all a bit of a blur at times:p

Also why do some chain attacks continue on with pressing b but others don't?

Agro relates to who the monsters focus their attacks on. It's very important because latter on any character other than your tank, Reyn at the start, are very flimsy so you want to have enemy agro focusing on your tank all the time. It means someone like Shulk or Sharla can do massive amounts of damage but this also attracts enemy attention which is a bad thing for such flimsy characters which means you really have to think about how to balance the damage you do and agro or using skills that reduce agro.

Talent gauge is just as you auto attack your skills fill up and become available.

It's really not that tough once you get it.

The chain attacks continuing with b is a random thing but increases with characters affinity for each other which you increase by doing the events scattered around the map.

Cheers Retr0, just a couple of other questions-
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Talent gauge is just as you auto attack your skills fill up and become available.
    Is that the yellow gauge beside the exp bar? I thought all the skills were time based or does this just refer to your special skill in the middle?

What does the Ether stat refer too? I'm gathering it's like magic but I dont see where it fits in.

penev10 wrote: »
    Cheers Retr0, just a couple of other questions-

Is that the yellow gauge beside the exp bar? I thought all the skills were time based or does this just refer to your special skill in the middle?

What does the Ether stat refer too? I'm gathering it's like magic but I dont see where it fits in.

It's been too long since I played it. I think ether is just magic attack or defense stat.

Not sure what the other yellow gauge for, maybe for levelling up talent arts?

Talent gauge really is just the time it takes to do talent arts.

Your talent art is the art in the centre of the screen (Shulk's Monado Art's, Reyn's Aggro attract thing etc.) Whereas every other art becomes available again with time, to use your talent art you have to refill the talent gauge (which is what fills as the talent art icon becomes brighter if that makes sense.) It becomes filled by auto-attacking, also some arts refill the talent gauge.

If you go onto the screen for leveling up arts, you can see that each art is either physical or ether type. The higher your strength, the most effective the physical arts, and the higher your ether the more effective your ether arts. This also applies to enemy arts which is what ether defence is for.

And the yellow bar beside the exp. bar is how close you are to learning your current skill.

I'm currently 92 hours in and am trying to finish all of the timed quests but it's so damn time consuming to even activate some of them. I think the amount of sidequests become a bit much as the game goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I haven't played this since september,no matter how hard I try I can't get past a certain boss.great game though.

I'm currently level 30 in the
    Makla (sp?) jungle place

I like the game but I just dont find it very compelling. Theres very rarely a close battle - your either mop the floor with the enemies or vice versa. The combat is great, don't get me wrong, I just think the levelling is a bit odd. The difference between levels is a lot more than most RPGs.

For instance I fought against 2 Lvl32 enemies when I was LVl28 and got absolutely murdered. Levelled up to 29, went back and battered them!

Finding most of the game a complete walk in the park. Havent done any grinding and seem to be at a similar level to most of the enemies I meet. I'm gathering it gets a lot tougher?

I found if you are keeping up with sidequests you'll level just fine but I know people that had awful trouble until they stopped ignoring them. Side Quests give the best experience so are worth doing. And yes there's a big difference between levels but I like it this way.

Well I started this game and first year on the same day, and it was looking uncertain as to which I would finish first, but I finished it today. Good god though I was 114 hours in and level 81, and I got complete sidequest fatigue when I realised to do any of the quests involving high level monsters I'd have to grind. I think the game could've done things a bit more linearly as, although at the start I liked the little sidequests, by the end you're just sick of "Kill ten of these and run around this place to pick up 5 of these," the powerful monster quests became the only ones I liked doing.

Amazing game though, I'd say best of 2011 (or 2010) but I didn't play much else. :o Ending was great but a tad confusing with some parts. I somehow don't think I'll be willing to start the new game+ for quite a while though....

And Riki is now in my list most hated characters.

Now onto The Last Story!

• Advertisement

why cant they make more games like xenoblade : )? Just without the tough boss fights :o

Advertisement