Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rubgy Club-'behind scenes' & pitchside

• 31-03-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm involved in a photography club in my workplace.
    I contacted Connacht Rugby Club and they agreed to a few some from our club 'behind the scenes' and pitch side for an upcoming game. On Friday 15th of April Connacht have their last home game of the season against Cardiff Blues (7:45pm kick off). They're also putting on a supporters party with marquee, free finger food etc.

I don't know how much goes on behind the scenes but even to get a few photos of the dressing rooms (not allowed while players in them), staff etc. behind the scenes should be interesting. We’d also be allowed pitch side for the match.

As there was a very low amount of interest from our photography club I'm opening this offer here. I’m not sure how many they’re willing to allow so I’m just gauging the amount of people interested first. First replies will be top of the list and I'll update once I know how many they'll allow in and who is in.

Regards,
    Pa.

p.s. Am I the only one who thinks that thread can get a bit ignored here compared to the main forum and therefore am tempted to post thread such as this in the main forum?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Ohh, I'd definitely be interested. I'd probably have to take the day off work to make it over in time, but it certainly sounds worth the effort. Heck, if nothing else, I'll get to see a decent rugby game from a new vantage point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Hi Patrick,

You will certainly enjoy the different perspective.

Just consider that you obtained permission for your club and now are offering it to others outside the club. It might come back to bite you.

Its worth considering in case you lose future access.

Enjoy!

mrboswell wrote: »
    Hi Patrick,

You will certainly enjoy the different perspective.

Just consider that you obtained permission for your club and now are offering it to others outside the club. It might come back to bite you.

Its worth considering in case you lose future access.

Enjoy!

I doubt they'd care? I assume they've given him a number of people they'll allow and wouldnt be too bothered where they come from? Boards is, essentially, a little camera club, anyway, isn't it?

Anyway, hope all goes well. Would love to go myself, but opposite side of the country and no money make it out of reach. Great opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I contacted them to ask and it's okay but they're my responsibility/my rep on the line. A bit like the mob so-ye step out of line there and I get it in the neck. So no trashing the gaf. Lol
    It should be exciting- press passes, briefing, game on tv, etc.
    I'll PM people who are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Shooting games like this is always fun and different.

Make sure to stay out of the way of the TV cameras. Don't block the advertising boards. Lights may be a problem for some, so high ISO.

Just wondering - did you ask about insurance? If a player goes over the end line and crashes in to you (and gets injured), who will be liable? Worth considering.

I haven't had the pleasure of covering a game there in Galway, but I'll be at the Leinster V Ulster game on the Sat. Looking forward to that.

Hope everyone has a great time at your game, and look forward to seeing the picts. Maybe a mini-comp? ;)

• Advertisement

So, how did you get on last night? Any picts to show from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

going the game anyways and this really would be a bonus!
    thanks in advance
    s

Paulw wrote: »
    So, how did you get on last night? Any picts to show from it?

Hi, The game is on this Friday.

Hi,
    Update:
    Connacht will give me press passes for 5 photographers.
    There should be enough space for boards people (Seanin4711 and NakedDex).
    NakedDex- can you PM me with your real name and a contact phone number please?

There is a family-day planned for this match with gates opening at 6pm, bouncy castles, facepainting, meet the players etc are you interested in covering this? If we want to/are allowed to cover this there's a briefing at
    17.45 to discuss access and protocols (as the match is televised there are certain proceedures that must be adhered to) This should last no more than 10 minutes but is important for everyone to attend.

If we're not going to cover the above then the briefing will be pushed out to 19.00, but not before as the conference room is booked with team meetings.

Photographers bibs will be supplied for the event (and must be returned after). They will have desks and power for us to work at from 19.00 before the game and afterwards as well if needed.

Cheers,
    Pa

Not a bad game to watch last night.

How did the images turn out??

• Advertisement

The Guys at Connacht gave us the tour and really made us feel welcome.
    Longest lens I had was a 70-210 f4 beercan and tried to get the best out of it wasnt easy as it hunts a wee bit when the light fades.
    anyways took loads and got about 20 good ones I think.
    Met up with Caomhan and Nadine and we had a great time.
    Really need to brush up on my camera settings.
    slan
    A big thanks to Patrick for sorting this out hopefully we can get something going on a (semi)regular basis!
    will upload to pix.ie asap!
    john

seanin4711 wrote: »
    will upload to pix.ie asap!

No harm sticking a link to your pix too.

https://picasaweb.google.com/johnnyboy4711/ConnachtVCardiff?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLzv4qpvML0NA&feat=directlink

they are not the best one or two maybe but the rest!?!
    anyways a steep learning curve!
    when the floodlights went on went for the Aperture on the camera F4,but just could get it right from there on!
    before that not to bad.
    see what you think.
    slan
    s

seanin4711 wrote: »
    https://picasaweb.google.com/johnnyboy4711/ConnachtVCardiff?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLzv4qpvML0NA&feat=directlink

they are not the best one or two maybe but the rest!?!
    anyways a steep learning curve!

Yes, it definitely is a learning curve. It's never easy, especially the first time. But, practice helps you improve.

To start, you're using a fairly low shutter speed. You want your aperture at f/4 (or as fast as your lens allows). Then set your shutter speed as high as you can get, and bump up your ISO.

For me, your best shot, is a warmup shot of the front row, preparing to scrum. Good close action, good exposure.

Your match shots are fairly poor (sorry). The shutter speed is just too slow, so loads of motion blur, and some images just didn't seem to focus correctly. The best would be of the lineout - untitled-02009.jpg - but, I'd crop down the image a bit more.

It does take time, and it does take practice. Just keep at it. :)

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes, it definitely is a learning curve. It's never easy, especially the first time. But, practice helps you improve.

To start, you're using a fairly low shutter speed. You want your aperture at f/4 (or as fast as your lens allows). Then set your shutter speed as high as you can get, and bump up your ISO.

For me, your best shot, is a warmup shot of the front row, preparing to scrum. Good close action, good exposure.

Your match shots are fairly poor (sorry). The shutter speed is just too slow, so loads of motion blur, and some images just didn't seem to focus correctly. The best would be of the lineout - untitled-02009.jpg - but, I'd crop down the image a bit more.

It does take time, and it does take practice. Just keep at it. :)

Linky to cropped
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oqIjz9N47Ai6LJimG8X8MrS9wfpSAa3PU14RiFGsku4?feat=directlink

Thanks a lot and I will try those settings asap on fast action shots.
    I will chance my arm at any sporting event now!
    slan
    s

Mad jealous I didn't get to go to this. Fair play to you Dineenp for organising it.

Mad jealous I didn't get to go to this. Fair play to you Dineenp for organising it.

I didn't either!
    Connacht said that there's no problem doing it again so once the season starts (no idea when) I'm going to organise another trip.

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

I'm going again tonight taking photos to their match so will upload some photos next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

I would love to go on this trip, if it is ok? Thank you.

• Advertisement

Ceacg wrote: »
    I would love to go on this trip, if it is ok? Thank you.

Sorry but it was a few weeks ago.
    Here's some photos, more at home on the laptop. I'm going to try to go again when there's more light in the evening.

8535967915_500c61bc9a_c.jpg
    Connacht vs Zebre Rugby by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

8525127553_5946ed6287_z.jpg
    Not Men, But Giants (Connacht Rugby) by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

8519125363_613c1b1cbf_z.jpg
    Connacht vs Zebre Pro Nabo rugby by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

8519089589_9f2a4b4a1c_z.jpg
    Connacht vs Zebre rugby Rabo Direct by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

Thanks! Your photos are great. If you do it again, please let me know. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

yep would love to this some time... great photos, did yer man score the try in the photo above? :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm involved in a photography club in my workplace.
    I contacted Connacht Rugby Club and they agreed to a few some from our club 'behind the scenes' and pitch side for an upcoming game. On Friday 15th of April Connacht have their last home game of the season against Cardiff Blues (7:45pm kick off). They're also putting on a supporters party with marquee, free finger food etc.

I don't know how much goes on behind the scenes but even to get a few photos of the dressing rooms (not allowed while players in them), staff etc. behind the scenes should be interesting. We’d also be allowed pitch side for the match.

As there was a very low amount of interest from our photography club I'm opening this offer here. I’m not sure how many they’re willing to allow so I’m just gauging the amount of people interested first. First replies will be top of the list and I'll update once I know how many they'll allow in and who is in.

Regards,
    Pa.

p.s. Am I the only one who thinks that thread can get a bit ignored here compared to the main forum and therefore am tempted to post thread such as this in the main forum?

gutted i only saw this now... GUTTED

I'm going to be going back next Friday (19th) for the match against Ulster. It'll be a lot better daylight so I'm looking forward to it, should have better focus, less noise.

If not enough people from my workplace photography club take spaces I'll ask them if some others can come along and update here.

Advertisement