Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

test if bull is infertile

• 31-03-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

just wondering if anyone on here has ever tested a bull for infertility.
    only bought him last year, he worked grand last year but have noticed a few cows repeating after him this year. also would insurance cover it
    so is there much to it?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pg did one of our bulls that we bought a few years ago, they came to the farm and tested him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jfh wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

just wondering if anyone on here has ever tested a bull for infertility.
    only bought him last year, he worked grand last year but have noticed a few cows repeating after him this year. also would insurance cover it
    so is there much to it?
    thanks

Is he a charolais? Did you buy him at an official sale or privately? If you bought at an official catolgued sale, regardless of his breed, there should have been a full list of the 'terms and conditions' of the sale printed in the front of a catolgue.

Buyers definitely have rights, but when he worked ok the first year, you may not have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Buyers definitely have rights, but when he worked ok the first year, you may not have a case.

You'll have no case if he worked ok for the first year. Society sales will cover him up to 6 months after the sale. You have to assume that if he is infertile then he became infertile while he was in your ownership and on your property. He was fertile when you bought him.

I'd suggest maybe scanning some of your cows that were already bulled by him as scanners will pick up pregnancy 30 days after. It could be a cheaper and easier option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

hey whealan1, any idea of the cost of this? no hassle if not, can give them a call myself.
    was it a big job, i mean i presume your going to have to catch him on the job in the crush?

muckit, he's a limousin, worked fine the first year, went lame, father injected him with penicilin, have heard about that causing infertility before, but not sure..

• Advertisement

did he injure himself , cant remember the cost but tbh we had connections with pg at the time and there mightnt have been a charge at all, we had a cow in the crush , bull jumped and hey presto:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

whelan .what does pg mean.buying bull and told to test him for bvd

pg is progressive genetics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

muckit, he's a limousin, worked fine the first year, went lame, father injected him with penicilin, have heard about that causing infertility before, but not sure..

I have heard links with this too. Also that treatment may have an impact on fertility a couple of months after treatment.

You will always have a few repeats. Can you quantify this?

Re: Fertility test, I think its done by a crowd in the south of the country. They come on-farm and carry out the test!

tbh think that is bull**** excuse the pun

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    tbh think that is bull**** excuse the pun

I recall seeing some work on the subject, but I would think if I looked I'd find work to disprove it. I recall too seeing that a challenge of some or other sort on a bull may not manifest itself fertility wise, untill some time later! But I dunno.
    From looking at our own bulls over the years, they got knocks and nicks and the occasional injection didn't seem to slow them down.

I think the important point is though that the OP quantifies the repeats. A few repeats from 50 cows is a different matter than from 5 cows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

i agree. if bull needs injection ,i would be watching for repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

i agree. if bull needs injection ,i would be watching for repeats.

Yeah, but the repeats are caused by whatever was wrong with the bull or the ram not the injection AFAIK.

Sperm takes weeks to make, so the effect is weeks later. If a bull runs a high temperature he may be firing blanks as a result several weeks later, but the fever is the cause of the temporary infertility, not whatever you give him to bring down the temperature.

The myth that penicillin causes infertility was peddled in the Journal for years and years by John Shirley in one of those columns in the IFJ (Sheep Management I think) where he used to photocopy last years column, and just add in this year's price of wool/the fluke forecast/the price of easter lamb.

A lad I know wrote to him and told him it was bull (sorry re pun) and he obviously tippexed the penicillin bit but kept photocopying the rest till he left the Journal and went to the Indo on a Tuesday.

Loads of people believe it, and no-one knows where they heard it.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bizzum wrote: »
    I have heard links with this too. Also that treatment may have an impact on fertility a couple of months after treatment.
    as someone who looks at semen under a microcscope everyday I can confirm this. Could take 5 months for him to come right

as someone who looks at semen under a microcscope everyday

I have to say I didn't that reply from anyone!
    What species do you deal with? If you don't mind me being nosey!

bovine. I work for one of the studs but I wont say which one. That way I can recomend bulls to ye from other companies or bad mouth ones from my own without getting in trouble :D

bovine. I work for one of the studs but I wont say which one. That way I can recomend bulls to ye from other companies or bad mouth ones from my own without getting in trouble :D

Fair play! I know what you're saying. We all have to be careful on here:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

the old milk board was some company to work for

as someone who looks at semen under a microcscope everyday I can confirm this. Could take 5 months for him to come right
    hi bogman, do they usually come right after a while, it's not permanent?

don't think we'd get away with this kind of talk on anyother forum:D

• Advertisement

hi bogman, do they usually come right after a while, it's not permanent?

if it is due to antibiotics he will come right eventually but it could take a long time.
    another thing that kills bull fertility is over fat bulls. This business of pumping meals into a bull does nothing for him when he comes to do the business. Thats why you need to buy in plenty of time so you can slim him down

When I'm chatting up young ones at the bar It either works as agreat ice breaker or else I get some very funny looks :D

Advertisement