Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation from the passport office?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I recently ordered a passport via passport express which meant that I should have had it within 10 working days. As it turned out someone made a mistake in the office and as a result my passport was delayed beyond 10 days and I had to miss a flight i'd booked.

My question is can I be reimbursed the cost of the flight I had to miss on account of the passport office's mistake? Is there a breach of contract here or will I just have to chalk it up to experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Did you contact them when the 10 days elapsed? They can issue a passport in under 24 hours in "emergency" conditions. What was the actual date you posted on and what day did you intend to fly on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Also what error did the person in the Office make?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No, you have no claim if you didn't fully follow the terms and conditions for the Express Passport - http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/passport_express.htm

If your passport didn't arrive in the 10 days, you should have contacted them, and/or you could have even just gone to the passport office (if you had all your passport and travel documentation) and recived a passport within 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gary Numan

Paulw wrote: »
    No, you have no claim if you didn't fully follow the terms and conditions for the Express Passport - http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/passport_express.htm

If your passport didn't arrive in the 10 days, you should have contacted them, and/or you could have even just gone to the passport office (if you had all your passport and travel documentation) and recived a passport within 24hrs.

I phoned the office once the ten days passed. I was told that the person who was supposed to do my passport had gone away on holiday. I contacted them 3 days before my flight and was told that they wouldn't have it until the morning of the flight, this meant that I didn't have time to go to the office and be in time for my flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

3 days before your flight? I would have filled in new forms, and just gone directly to the passport office, with your travel documents, and they could have done it for you on the spot.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    3 days before your flight? I would have filled in new forms, and just gone directly to the passport office, with your travel documents, and they could have done it for you on the spot.

I had various work commitments that meant I didn't have time to go to the office. Do I have a claim and if so who do I take it up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Gary Numan wrote: »
    I had various work commitments that meant I didn't have time to go to the office. Do I have a claim and if so who do I take it up with?

No.

And its possible to get a passport on the spot in emergency cases.

No.

And its possible to get a passport on the spot in emergency cases.

The passport office told me 3 days was the soonest they could have it. I asked on a few occasions if I could get it any sooner and I was told no.

The passport office told me 3 days was the soonest they could have it. I asked on a few occasions if I could get it any sooner and I was told no.

I know of at least 2 people that have hand written passports that were issued on the spot.

Not normal though, you really have to push for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

When I was in a few years back they did it for the next working day no problem based on my having a flight already booked. She said they couldn't do it before the next day, but I wasn't saying it was an actual "emergency" as such.

OP, you're leaving out details here. Was it Post -> 10 working days -> phone call -> three days -> flight or was there more time in between? Also, when she said three days was that for posting it back to you or for you picking it up?

They do use terms like "10 working days guarantee excludes weekends and public holidays ", so you have a right to be pissed if they didn't meet that due to somebody being on holiday. I'd write to them and outline what the delay cost you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Quick answer is No. That's what travel insurance is for and even then they probably wouldn't have paid out.

If you took it further, the question asked would be why did you not apply sooner for renewal?

Zab wrote: »
    When I was in a few years back they did it for the next working day no problem based on my having a flight already booked. She said they couldn't do it before the next day, but I wasn't saying it was an actual "emergency" as such.

OP, you're leaving out details here. Was it Post -> 10 working days -> phone call -> three days -> flight or was there more time in between? Also, when she said three days was that for posting it back to you or for you picking it up?

They do use terms like "10 working days guarantee excludes weekends and public holidays ", so you have a right to be pissed if they didn't meet that due to somebody being on holiday. I'd write to them and outline what the delay cost you.
    I posted it. Then I waited ten working days from when the received it. When it didn't arrive I phoned them and was told it would be 3 days before I could collect it at their office.
    sandin wrote: »
    Quick answer is No. That's what travel insurance is for and even then they probably wouldn't have paid out.

If you took it further, the question asked would be why did you not apply sooner for renewal?
    I applied for it as soon as I realized my current passport was out of date. Had the passport office done their job I would have had it two days before my flight. The fact is that they exceed the ten day turn around that i'd paid the extra money for. That to me is a breach of contract on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If I had a flight on 12th April and only applied for my passport today, I'd be looking for something quicker than a 10 day service to be absolutely sure.
    Worst case scenario, I'd be checking the tracking number daily to see its progress.

At the end of the day, you paid a premium of €8.50 and this is all you could ask for back.

sandin wrote: »
    If I had a flight on 12th April and only applied for my passport today, I'd be looking for something quicker than a 10 day service to be absolutely sure.
    Worst case scenario, I'd be checking the tracking number daily to see its progress.

At the end of the day, you paid a premium of €8.50 and this is all you could ask for back.

+1

I paid 50 euros for the Express service (I live abroad) the standard turn around should have made it in time, but I didnt want to risk it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It can be done in a day or in my case around 2hours, but you must go to the office for it to happen. Mine was the proper deal and wasn't a temp passport

Cabaal wrote: »
    It can be done in a day or in my case around 2hours, but you must go to the office for it to happen. Mine was the proper deal and wasn't a temp passport

That hand written ones i've seen weren't temp either, Valid for ten years, only hassle was going to the US as it wasn't machine readible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

In law, you are generally not entitled to damages from the state when they make a mistake. You may be if there is misfeasance or bias, but plain vanilla screwups probably do not count. The precedent relates to Glencar mining. There is a very summarized version here.

http://www.simonmcaleese.com/asp/article.asp?objectid=1061&Mode=0&RecordID=116

Advertisement