Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitchelin 5 Start Resturant

Options
  • 31-03-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

GF's birthday next week, looking for a Mitchelin 5 Start Resturant in the North East, prefeably somewhere not that expensive and has some sort of deal?

Dublin is probably the easiest place to get to

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Michellin only goes as high as 3 stars, and I don't believe there are any of them in Ireland.

There are 4 or 5 restaurants with 1 michellin star in the country and none of them will be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Shows you what I know about STARS so :)

I take it that 1 star is good?

Any of them in dublin, and how "not cheap" is "not cheap" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Shows you what I know about STARS so :)

I take it that 1 star is good?

Any of them in dublin, and how "not cheap" is "not cheap" ?

Yeah any restaurant that's earned a michellin star will be very good. The standards are very high.

I haven't been to one yet myself, but I've seen enough on TV to know what to expect. Chapter 1 is the only place in Dublin that I know the name of, but I think there are a few more.

In terms of price, I couldn't tell you. Best off finding the name out and then looking their website up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Rather than looking for a Michelin Star restaurant check out menupages.ie. Depending on where you live you can filter it.

That gives you customer reviews and prices etc - you can look at the menus of each restaurant too. I use it all the time and havent had a problem so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

The top star restaurants in Dublin are

www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie

www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/

www.chapteronerestaurant.com/

All provide excellent food and service but are very expensive-My most memorable meal was Thornton's before he moved from Portobello. All do lunch deals from a set menu-though don't expect the plates to be piled high with food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

There's also Bon Appetit in Malahide - http://bonappetit.ie/ - and L'Ecrivan in town - http://www.goodfoodireland.ie/Member172/L%27Ecrivain-Dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lof the Michelin starred restaurants have very good value lunch menus. That might be a cheaper option. It can also be very hard to get a booking at weekends.

2* - Patrick Guilbaud

1* - Bon Appetit
    L'Ecrivan
    Thornton's
    Chapter One

Other good options
    - One Pico
    - Salon des Saveurs (former Michelin-starred chef)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Nowhere in Ireland has three stars .Maybe you mean Rosettes ,where I think the merrion has five along with the two star restaurant .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Most of those restaurants do great lunch deals and still preserve their high standards.

The Cliff Townhouse does 2 course lunch for €20pp, or 3 course for €25pp, and the food was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

if you don't mind an early dinner/Lunch (usually finished by 7.30) you can get some great deals

1* Chapter one 3 course for 37.50E

1* Thortons E49 3 course

1* L'Ecrivain E25 3 course Lunch

These have got a Bib Gourmand (which means good food at moderate prices)
    full list here http://ireland.dinnersite.com/toprestaurants/bib

Winding stair 2/3 course meal 24/30E

Pig's ear Early bird 2/3 course 20/25Euro

La Maison http://lamaisonrestaurant.ie/menus.html

Pichet 2/3 course 20/25E last order 6.30pm

Restaurant 23 Early dinner E25.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Both Winding Stair and La Maison are great quality and not ridiculously expensive.
    Haven'e been to any Michelin starred place but I'd imagine them to be quite expensive but worth it for special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

You say in the north east. Do you mean of Ireland?

There are some fab restaurants outside of Dublin. The best is probably McNean house in Blacklion cavan, but bookings are months and months in advance so maybe book ahead for next year?! Its pretty expensive but definately worth every penny and their guest house if luxurious!!

If you really are north east (north east Donegal) then there is a wonderful reasonally priced (affordable) restaurant in Inishowen called Harrys. They have been winning lots and lots of awards recently for their dedication to local produce. And have a early bird special from Sunday - Fridays. http://www.harrys.ie/ Accomodation is not so expensive in Inishowen and there is some lovely sights and beaches up there so maybe make a weekend of it. I would definatly reccomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Another restaurant that serves stunning food is l'Gueuleton. In Dub, head down georges from dame, the next left after dunnes is a side street. can't remember the name of the street, but the restaurant is right before the snail bar. It's french and reasonably priced. eaten there twice for lunch and once for dinner and it's always been great. they've a lovely wine selection as well and the staff is very friendly and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi guys

GF's birthday next week, looking for a Mitchelin 5 Start Resturant in the North East, prefeably somewhere not that expensive and has some sort of deal?

Dublin is probably the easiest place to get to

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

In the city centre Chapter One does the best deal IMO. €35 for a pretheater set menu.

Bon appitite in Malahide is also very reasonable but is out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

sakani wrote: »
    You say in the north east. Do you mean of Ireland?

There are some fab restaurants outside of Dublin. The best is probably McNean house in Blacklion cavan, but bookings are months and months in advance so maybe book ahead for next year?! Its pretty expensive but definately worth every penny and their guest house if luxurious!!

Upon a trip to Cavan, we rang McNean on a Sat night to see if there's any table, but was told they'd have one for Sunday lunch the next day. So we stayed another night. Totally worth it!! I'd travel all the way from Kildare just for a meal there in future.

Advertisement