Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to leave school.

Options
  • 31-03-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Okay I have basically decided today that i just can't bear to stay in that school for another 2 months. I want to do my Leaving Cert. but I just cant stand the place. I'm planning to leave after the orals and just study at home for the remainder of the year. Do you think this would be a good idea as I don't listen in school anyway and work better studying by myself. Opinions will be appreciated. Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

But would you actually do anoything at home? I don't know you so I can't judge on whether you would or not, but a lot of students who try this fall into bad habits of not studying because noone is there to tell them to.

If you really can't stand last the 2 months, and if you actually will work at home, then go for it. But if I was you I'd put up with it for the last couple of months unless you're a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Are you the kind of person who will actually start working at 9 and stop working at 4? Because otherwise its not going to work. Make sure you still have someone to hand in Irish/French/English essays you can't correct yourself.

Why do you not want to stay in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you've all your courses done at school, and you've all the notes, then yes, you could, provided you'd do all the work yourself.

Personally I wouldn't do it, considering we do revision for quite a lot of stuff in school anyway, I keep a routine, I get to see my friends and I don't die of boredom at home all day basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thats another thing, being by yourself all day at home can become really depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jenvict wrote: »
    Okay I have basically decided today that i just can't bear to stay in that school for another 2 months. I want to do my Leaving Cert. but I just cant stand the place. I'm planning to leave after the orals and just study at home for the remainder of the year. Do you think this would be a good idea as I don't listen in school anyway and work better studying by myself. Opinions will be appreciated. Thanks :)

No. There's thousands of us LC's in the same boat. School is where your teachers and friends are. You probably will need them for help.

If you are totally disiplined and have absolutely no social skills, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

mtb_kng wrote: »
    You probably will need them for help.

http://krud.no-ip.org/awesome/ASCII%20facepalm%20Picard.PNG

Not arguing with you, but generally speaking, at leaving cert level I would argue teachers are more of a distraction than an actual help. Of course, some people do lack self discipline. Wait till they enter the workforce...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I wouldn't if I were you. You may think you'll be well able to do everything yourself at home, but you'd be surprised how you'd manage to distract yourself with mundane tasks all day, and suddenly end up having done nothing.
    Besides the whole work and routine thing, you could regret not attending school for these last couple of months just for the laughs you might miss! 6th year is tough, but with everything starting to wind down to the end, it's so much fun and it's the kind of thing you won't get back! There will be some people in your year that you will never see again once the leaving cert is over. Take these last few weeks to enjoy school. There's nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Saying you don't listen in class could show a lack of attention or something similar. Do you really think you can apply yourself to study with no one but yourself pushing you all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Dont do it. Even if you are well capable of sitting down and studying all day you'll go insane! Trust me, in 4th year of college we had 5 weeks off before our finals, then 3 weeks of exams. I'm very disciplined and stuff when it comes to studying but I went crazy, it was the worst studying experience ever. You cant study for that long straight, and if you don't study you'll probably slack off and end up doing nothing, theres 2 extremes to it.

You might think you're learning nothing in school but you are, the last few weeks are most critical in preparing and calming yourself for the exams, you are surrounded by people in the same boat and by people who want to help, you'll get no support sitting at home for two months. You might be academically prepared at home but you need to be in school to be mentally prepared.

Also in all my years in secondary school nothing beat the last couple of months in 6th year, everyone was having fun and laughs and the best of friends, I'll never forget it. The courses are over and its all revision so everyone is in a great mood that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Bad idea unless your really focused on studying at home and with the fact you hate school, it doesnt sound like it! Dont know about you, but when I try study at home theres always something better to do:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

alexlyons wrote: »
    Saying you don't listen in class could show a lack of attention or something similar. Do you really think you can apply yourself to study with no one but yourself pushing you all day?

I'm considering doing the same after Easter. I don't feel like we're learning anything anymore. I feel my time would be better spent at home studying. I can never concentrate in class so I have to learn it when I go home anyway. I'll probably go in a few days a week but on the days I know that we won't be doing anything I won't go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Don't do it.

I didn't bother going into school about 40 days of 6th year, did not study at home even though I promised myself that if I wasn't going to be in school I would.

It doesn't work. Your resolve at 17 is not firm enough...fúck, mine still isn't at 22. Go to school and please just put doubts about being there out of your mind. It's 2 months, it will fly.

I got 330 points in my leaving, and that kept me out of a lot of courses because i didn't have the patience to repeaat. My biggest ever regret is not putting more effort into it. Please don't cause yourself to have to repeat or worse, end up in a course you don't like. It happened to me and no I'm looking at working full time to pay the bills while doing a degree at night which is much less fun.

Go to school. PLEASE.

If you feel you must, and want to disregard everything I said, then I can't stop you. But please return to school at once if you find yourself not putting enough work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

If your paying for your education, dont.

<snip trollish nonsense>
    My chances at doing well in the leaving this are hindered now with a damaged hand that lost me a month of work,study and most importantly motivation.

But if your in dire straits with little hope, dont worry theres always next year. 16-18 year olds going to college after the L.C are too young for it anyway.

<mod edit>The number of grammar and spelling errors in this post makes me even more sure it's a troll, but just in case it's not, I'll leave most of it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Well actually I think it's a great idea. I wasn't sure about it at first but my boyfriend stopped going after the mocks and he gets wayyyyy more done at home. It seems impossible to study for hours after a long day at school and all the courses are finished now anyway. Be careful about project work and things that the teacher must be present at, like while you are filling in booklets(the geography yoke, prep work for art etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Depends on yourself. Staying at home works for me. I get up at 7, start at 9, go in to school for registration at 11, go back home. I always get loads done. But if I have a lie in, even till 8, I can't work. I go to school for the classes I need, so some days, I just wander in and out of school and go to the library across the road to study.

Do whatever works for you. At our age, it's very common to start hating school. Teachers can be very condescending and we've out grown the pointless rules and structure of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Depends on yourself. Staying at home works for me. I get up at 7, start at 9, go in to school for registration at 11, go back home. I always get loads done. But if I have a lie in, even till 8, I can't work. I go to school for the classes I need, so some days, I just wander in and out of school and go to the library across the road to study.

Do whatever works for you. At our age, it's very common to start hating school. Teachers can be very condescending and we've out grown the pointless rules and structure of the day.
    Do you not get in trouble for just drifting in and out like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sully22

Dont leave! Stay as long as you can!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you feel that your school and teachers have no more to offer you and that spending 6 hours there per day is a waste of time, I'd say go for it. I stopped going into school around the end of April, except for maths classes. The rest of the classes, however, were spent with the teacher trying to control the class or telling us to study ourselves during the class. Studying with people around never worked for me so I was better off at home.

However, I was extremely disciplined with studying at home. If you're not doing more than all the work you would have done at school that day its pointless. Plus if you haven't got courses finished and you're not capable of picking up things on your own from a book you'd be better off in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Jenvict

Thanks for all the replies:). I took a lot of the suggestions into consideration and have decided that I will continue to go to school until the end of the second week of May just so I can do my orals and art exams:).

I don't think I was clear enough stating my reasons for leaving. Basically, my school is a DISASTER. The teachers cannot teach and I am left wondering how they got where they are. It is very worrying and there has been a lot of complaints by students over the lack of preparation the teachers are giving us. It seems like everything's being left until the last minute. I am very behind the courses in many of my subjects as the teachers are moving too slow through the chapters and have even told us that we won't finish the coursed but the work we will have completed will get us a "good C" in the LC. In my opinion, that is ridiculous as I want better than a C in some subjects and feel I'd be better off completing the chapters at home myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Well if you look at in the long run I near was in school in 6th year maybe 3 to 6 class a day and I near opened a book and got 375 points in the LC

But school really hit me at the mocks I only got 190 points but a done it to my self because I decided to buy a ps3 the weak before the mocks and thats all I done when the mocks where on

But just stay in school so you can go to college. I am paying for droping out of college because I picked something I near really wonted to do in the 1st place and the bullying I got on top of doing something else that I can't say on here all I will say something to do with girls.

Also you say the teachers can't teach will my school was like that my maths teacher what was post to be the top OL class with all the A students we knew more then her she never got anything right on the board.
    Then my Cstudys teacher who was never in class who desided to go to his house which is a good 10 km from the school and leave us in the class must days.
    My bology teacher was so bad and all he ever told me I was going to fall OL level and giveing out to me because I can't spell. All I did in his classes was play games on my phone or psp thank go for banchs. In the end I got a B2 in OL level and after the LC rel came out I rubbed it in his face and said that was thinks to my self and not you.
    Links well if he stop us from playing Starcraft and quake in classes we might have got work done but when you have a 8 player LAN game going in class and every one shating at each outher in class you would have done something about it

So stay in school you will get more work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Do you not get in trouble for just drifting in and out like that?

No, my school doesn't notice and the teachers who do don't care. I haven't gone to history for 5 weeks and I only go to one or two maths classes a week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, my school doesn't notice and the teachers who do don't care. I haven't gone to history for 5 weeks and I only go to one or two maths classes a week

If that's true, your school is a disgrace and should be reported to the Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My old school was just like that as long as you where in for roll call who cares where you go after that. One day after a class trip we where left down town at 1.00 and did not turn back up to 3.30 in the day. The Head of the school just said where where you ( we where coverd in mud because we desided to get lost in a bog that's right beside the school that I bet know one where it is) all we told her where just back from a trip.

I was never in geography I think I went to about 30 class the hole of the year and still got a B3 in higher LV never got giveing out for that I just asked the theh for the notes and she just gave them to me

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

I'd say if you have the discipline studying at home can be just as beneficial as school, especially if your school isn't up to much. I did the Leaving in 2002 and while I stayed in school I got most of my studing done at home.
    Maybe you could set up a schedule over the easter hols and see how it works for you, it might give you an idea of how much you get done at home v school.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

It plausible depending on how you wish to take your leaving cert.

You really need a good set of teachers and seemingly you don't. I wouldn't leave as i don't feel like learning off my English answers. I want to perfect them myself from my own tongue , my own style and my own ideas. I'll hand up essay after essay to my teacher to ensure this.

I also do History and Business. I'm finding the Thursday class tests in History being a massive help. Currently taking a break from studying the delightful question of :" What were the major factors that consolidated democracy in Ireland between 1922-45 " . Long Question Mondays , Short Question Thursdays and ABQ Fridays are keeping me on track for my study.

Maths we have weekly revision, in class we do an exam question at home we do another. Weekly test on the Friday. Have gone up in every topic since the mocks except the line which i got 33/50 out of in both.

French i feel i need my teacher there as i am handing up stuff and i don't know my own mistakes.

Economics again same as History, revision plans been set out and weekly class tests.

Finally Music, the real work will start next week after the practical is completed on Friday. You really do need a strong group of teachers behind you, i feel sorry that you're not receiving this personally, if anything it's made me somewhat motivated to not become complacent and be thankful for the teachers i have.

Wish you the best of luck in the leaving cert regardless whatever you choose to do.

Advertisement