Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Heating - Timer Replacement

Options
  • 31-03-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

Moved into new apartment last year. Replaced the immersion swtich to a timer and it is dead handy - especially in the summer - it was a straight forward swap as there was no 'sink/bath' switch, only on/off.

Anyway I also have gas heating with an analogue switch. Its just the old type with little tiny switches that need to be clicked into place to set the timer. Just wondering if i remove this will it be just as handy to add the same type of timer? I would prefer a digital timer as it offers more options (1 hour boost etc). Any wiring advice appreciated...hoping its straight forward job i can do myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

usually they are easy to do....depends on the clock.
    normally the neutral and earth are common and there is a live in and live out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Beezkneez! wrote: »
    Hi,

Moved into new apartment last year. Replaced the immersion swtich to a timer and it is dead handy - especially in the summer - it was a straight forward swap as there was no 'sink/bath' switch, only on/off.

Anyway I also have gas heating with an analogue switch. Its just the old type with little tiny switches that need to be clicked into place to set the timer. Just wondering if i remove this will it be just as handy to add the same type of timer? I would prefer a digital timer as it offers more options (1 hour boost etc). Any wiring advice appreciated...hoping its straight forward job i can do myself.

The immersion on/off switch should really have been left and the timer added in beside the switch, as the immersion should have an isolation method really. Same for the gas boiler. Timer switches are not a great isolation method.

Advertisement