Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribeman - Another new newspaper

Options
  • 31-03-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I found a copy of tribesman, Galway's newest paper, thought it very small, articles were rubbish, basically a very poor quality paper..

One thing I found odd was, It has a tagline something along the lines of - Your Local and so are we - Support Us... I found this rather odd as the Gardening Section is some lad from Dublin and the IT page is from Limerick....Not too local then I think....or maybe no one in Galway knows anything about gardening or computers :)

It seems a bit fishy but sure maybe it will have another issue next week... who know's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I thought the sport was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give it time.
    Online version http://tribesman.ie/ and some background info
    Latest Project: The Tribesman Newspaper (Yes a real newspaper)

SO I've been a bit quiet lately although TechLudd is still growing rapidly with the team growing quite strongly. Anyway...

The reason I've been quiet is that I've been working on something real and local that will create at least 5 or 6 jobs and support business locally where I live in Galway.

Delighted to announce "The Tribesman", a new local newspaper servicing South Galway. Go check it out online at http://tribesman.ie.
    Tribsmanlogo

The Tribesman is a free paper and will service the area around the towns of Oranmore, Claregalway, Athenry, Loughrea and Gort (as well as the corner of East Galway city) and all the smaller towns in between.

It's a big project and has taken up a lot of time but as our new office opened in Oranmore and new staff come on board this week it's starting to be very exciting.

The editorial remit of the paper will be to cover real local news and issues and it's purpose is to support local communities organisations and most especially businesses in what are quite hard times.

We've already begun contacting local sport and community organisations to cover their news so if you feel your activity or passion isn't getting enough coverage right nw then please get in touch.

So you're in the South Galway region and want to get the word out about a community project you're working on or are interested in either helping out with editorial or using the paper to promote your business then please get in touch.

It's from these guys http://antonmannering.com/ in case anyone wants to get in touch and perhaps help out (I don't know if they need people).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just what we need, another free paper full of ads with articles which are little more than thinly veiled press releases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

ColHol wrote: »
    Just what we need, another free paper full of ads with articles which are little more than thinly veiled press releases

While I agree with the essence of your comment, these newspapers are free and people are under no obligation to read them.

And furthermore they also help to create trade in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Good luck to them.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't this be moved to Galway County?...

It states in Biko's post that it doesn't even cover the city

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

It's not that I am knocking the fact that it is a new newspaper or business, I think it is great to see people starting new business's.

I just find this idea they have of "Support us we're local" is a total con especially when they have feature writers from the other end of the country, I am sure that many a local business would enjoy the opportunity to have a column in their local paper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The two connemara papers ( View and Voice) have shut down in recent months

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The two connemara papers ( View and Voice) have shut down in recent months

I withdraw my statement

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

not to be knocking a man but this is ridiculous. We already had that paper the Voice a few years back that died on its arse

It must be hard enough for the Galway Advertiser and Galway Indo in this depressed climate to make much money and they're lobbing another free paper into the mix

Dont forget we already have the tribune and the sentinel as well trying to cover local news along with Internet and radio. Where is the advertising going to come from?

Utter madness

• Advertisement

shaggykev wrote: »
    not to be knocking a man but this is ridiculous. We already had that paper the Voice a few years back that died on its arse

It must be hard enough for the Galway Advertiser and Galway Indo in this depressed climate to make much money and they're lobbing another free paper into the mix

Dont forget we already have the tribune and the sentinel as well trying to cover local news along with Internet and radio. Where is the advertising going to come from?

Utter madness

Can you not just wish them good luck?

Now get back to work...John Mulholland doesn't pay you peanuts to post on here all day.

Off course good luck to him, its just utter madness that's all

And less of the troll bollix thank you very much

Off course good luck to him, its just utter madness that's all

And less of the troll bollix thank you very much

Not as mad as your sports betting blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

What ever happened to Galway First?

Columc wrote: »
    What ever happened to Galway First?

The first shall be last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 burlington

Shaggykev, are you not a Donegal [EMAIL="c%@t"]c%@t[/EMAIL]?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

As far as I remember, the Galway First belonged to the Advertiser and was dropped quietly about three or four years ago with the downturn.

I had a read of the Tribesman yesterday and was amazed by the quality of the writing ... NOT! The editorial was pretty pathetic.

Oh i have two fans now

Lovely

celty wrote: »
    As far as I remember, the Galway First belonged to the Advertiser and was dropped quietly about three or four years ago with the downturn.

I had a read of the Tribesman yesterday and was amazed by the quality of the writing ... NOT! The editorial was pretty pathetic.

How ironic that somone using '...NOT' at the end of a sentence feels qualified to criticise the writing of others.

Oh i have two fans now

Lovely

Well I'm definitely not a fan of that braindead screeching that pollutes Mulholland shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Yeehaw,

Did you read the editorial? I know a four year old who could have written better.

why so aggressive Yeehaw?

Yeehaw is a [EMAIL="c&@t"]c&@t[/EMAIL] too!

celty wrote: »
    Yeehaw,

Did you read the editorial? I know a four year old who could have written better.

Tremendous use of a smiley face there. are you the 4 year old in question?

Burlingtons first ever post was to call me a c***

I'm honoured and now you call Yeehaw one too

Charming individual

why so aggressive Yeehaw?

Penis envy. That or irritable male syndrome.

Burlingtons first ever post was to call me a c***

I'm honoured and now you call Yeehaw one too

Charming individual

I forgive burlington. Live and let live I say.

The nature of these fora means you need to have a new username every day you post you [EMAIL="c%@t"]c%@t[/EMAIL]

Yeehaw, please accept my apologies for my earlier post.

• Advertisement

How sad. Enjoy your life, try and find one outside of the internet

You too Yeehaw

Advertisement