Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorilla mum hides sex of her new baby!

• 31-03-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

A new edition,
    Endangered

Guess the babies sex :D

The zoo has hailed the new arrival as a great success as part of the European breeding programme for this critically endangered primate.

About 150,000 of the species live in the wild in countries such as Angola, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea

IT weighs less than two kilos, has no name yet and its proud mother is still keeping mum about whether it's a boy or a girl.

Keepers at Dublin Zoo are engrossed in a guessing game about the zoo's latest arrival, a baby western lowland gorilla.

The newcomer -- which weighed in at only 1.8kgs -- was born on Sunday to her 28-year-old mother Lena, just in time for Mother's Day

gorilla1_pa_867582t.jpg
    Isnt the baby gorgeous.
    What a shame they are endangered :( Humans are evil :mad:

I think shes a girl :)

Guess the baby Gorillas sex? 17 votes

Boy
    0% 0 votes
    Girl
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Dublin zoo is evil, have you seen the area that they live in, the last thing they need is another gorilla, I feel so sorry for this little guy being born into such entrapment

My guess is that its a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Dublin zoo is evil, have you seen the area that they live in, the last thing they need is another gorilla, I feel so sorry for this little guy being born into such entrapment

My guess is that its a girl

But they love them animals and however much we hate zoos.The way its going now only places they are safe and have a chance of birth such as this beautiful little baby is in zoos.If she had of been out in wild likely hood she wouldnt have been born.Or none of them left at all if wasnt for the zoos an the parks can only take so many.
    I know i got instant girl from her :o

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I agree with you that if not in captivity this little guy would probably not survive but I honestly don't think that zoos are the answer, they are wild animals and it should stay that way. Dublin zoo is an enterprise that exploits wild animals for financial gain which I could never agree with, I have no doubts that the workers care greatly about them but animals in captivity like this can never truly be happy, in Dublin zoo it is clear that the majority of animals are extremely stressed by looking at there faces.

Conservation or creation of natural land and habitats should be a priority for wild animals and we as humans should not always be looking at the monetary side of things. We are just another species at the end of the day so we should respect the values of nature.

Sorry for going on but zoos really get to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dublin zoo is 1,000,000 times better than it was 15-20 years ago in regards to animal welfare and space tbh. They have reduced the number of animals and exhibits over the years to increase enclosure size for all the show piece animals, lions tigers etc

While it'll never be as good as the wild it's so much better than it was. It's also not profit driven, all profits are re-invested in the facilities and not taken out by shareholders. Its also recognised as one of the better zoo's for the captive breeding programmes which ultimately help re-populate wild areas.

My one bone of contention with them would be a focus on larger animals (though what zoo is not guilty of that as that is what most people want to see)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I read a horrific article in the Sunday Times magazine a few months ago about Gorilla poaching in some African country. Can't seem to find it online but it seems they are not getting th protection they deserve so zoos really have an important part to play in conservation.

Dublin Zoo has made vast strides in improving living conditions for most of the animals. They didn't do things right in the past but a new gorilla natural enclosure apparently is to be opened in September.

Since you are all leaning towards a girlie. I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and say "Boy" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Having been to Kampala Zoo in Uganda, Dublin Zoo is a 5 star luxury hotel compared to it. We even tried to break open the Hyena pen to release one given the conditions

Why do you reckon it's a girl out of curiosity? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sundew wrote: »
    I read a horrific article in the Sunday Times magazine a few months ago about Gorilla poaching in some African country. Can't seem to find it online but it seems they are not getting th protection they deserve so zoos really have an important part to play in conservation.

I suspect that documentary was about Mountain Gorillas which dont survive in captivity. The gorillas you find in zoos are all lowland gorilllas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lots of reasons for that

Demand from China and sky high prices for all sorts of animals for their ridiculous medicinal beliefs
    Huge huge land areas and small numbers of staff to patrol them
    Lack of cash and resources to tackle above point
    Nowhere near harsh enough punishments for those they actually manage to catch
    Inept governments in most African countries
    Complete lack of population control means what little areas are left get smaller ever year to supply farm land, food and fuel to rapidly expanding populations

None of which are restricted to Africa of course and can be applied in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AFAIK they're planning on building a brand-new gorilla enclosure starting this year, due to be ready in September 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm happy the gorilla was born in captivity, as it'll know no better.

It's the lions who were once wild that I feel pity for: no longer being able to hunt, run, or anything else other than walk around in a small pen until they die :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was there recently and the gorillas looked very contented sunbathing and eating some veggies. All very relaxed.

They've placed a plastic screen on the glass with little spy areas so the troop is not so exposed. And they are building a new rainforest enclosure for them. It's not as bad as it used to be, and while not ideal, it's an improvement.

I'm guessing it's a boy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I think it has to be a boy! but we will know soon?!

I was looking at the video on rte website - it looks so cute!

We got to think of a name for the little one....hmmm <* putting on my thinking cap*>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I agree wild animals shouldn't be in a zoo but unfortunately captive breeding programs are essential for the survival of a large number of species. Ideally gorillas should all be living in the wild but only when we as humans can guarantee that we won't harm them in any way, and until that can happen I think it's important we ensure that we give them safe places to live, even if they are zoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's a girl (i think! just has that girly look about her haha) and they should name her Phoebe.

Dublin Zoo has made vast strides in improving living conditions for most of the animals. They didn't do things right in the past but a new gorilla natural enclosure apparently is to be opened in September.

Since you are all leaning towards a girlie. I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and say "Boy" :D

One of the many things that stay with me about Gorillas,has always been Gorillas in the mist.Its shocking that people poach any animals at all and sickening.

faceman wrote: »
    Having been to Kampala Zoo in Uganda, Dublin Zoo is a 5 star luxury hotel compared to it. We even tried to break open the Hyena pen to release one given the conditions

I have a gift for when women are pregnant,telling them what they are having.I can be standing beside someone when they are pregnant and give them sex of the baby.:D Never been wrong.
    This is just a gut instinct i am going with minute i looked at the picture :p

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

faceman wrote: »

Visited one in China and was sickened at what I witnessed. I would agree that Dublin Zoo is luxurious and the animals there treated very well in comparison.

Is there any word on what the sex of the baby gorilla is?
    I wonder is paddy power betting on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pandabrian

It's a boy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

wohoo voted right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Me too!

Caseyann - your special gift appears to not work on gorillas. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

pandabrian wrote: »
    It's a boy:D

We shall therefore cally him Terry

Whispered wrote: »
    Me too!

Caseyann - your special gift appears to not work on gorillas. :pac:

I know :( or maybe it only works before birth.:p
    Now we need a name for him :)

Old Irish name :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

homerhop wrote: »
    wohoo voted right :D

Me too! :D
    Can't wait to pop by the zoo and see him.

Advertisement