Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a job in Swords/Santry. Where to live?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just been offered a job in Swords, will be relocating from Cork. :) Just looking for some advice on where to live and where to avoid. There is one major complication in that the company are likely to relocate to Santry in the next few months. Not a massive move but something to consider.

I used to live around Drumcondra for college but not for a few years and I wouldn't be massively familiar with North Co.Dublin so I'm just looking for general advice on where to rent and where to avoid.

I'll be working initially in the Swords Business Park and ideally looking to rent somewhere within 15-20 mins cycling / 5 mins driving. I'd like something reasonably modern and close to a village centre type area. If there was somewhere in the middle where rents would be more reasonable I'd be willing to consider that.

Thanks for reading, any and all advice welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi Rowley,

There is nothing really in between Santry and Swords besides the airport so it would be one or the other.

Swords would be your safest bet as it has alot of amenities (Pavillions, cinema, pubs and restaurants) and also still holds onto the village look about it. Also the metro will be coming to Swords aswell. (Eventually)

In my opinion it's a friendly, nice, middle of the road type of town.

I live in Swords and work in Santry and it takes me ten minutes drive time no traffic at all.

Malahide would be another option but would be dearer to buy/rent a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thanks PCros. I won't be buying so rent will be the only option, based on local knowledge is there much between Swords/Santry on this front?

Is there any areas, without causing too much controversy, to avoid? Ideally I'd like to cycle to work so I can leave my car parked up for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

On the rent front I would'nt say there is a whole load of difference as Santry is nearer the city so you pay more. Check out Daft for prices.

I will PM you places in Swords to avoid but not familiar with Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Yeah Swords has a bit more going on than Santry imho.

So I went to look at a place in Swords this evening. House seemed nice but I spent about an hour driving around trying to see was there much happening within walking distance. There wasn't.

So I've refocused my efforts on finding a place in Drumcondra. Anyone doing this commute from D9 to Swords and if you are how do you find it?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I commute to the city centre from Swords every day and use the 41x, which doesn't go through Drumcondra in the morning but does in the evening.

It's fine, and afaik the 41 goes through Drumcondra and is a pretty regular service.

Am slightly amazed you found nothing going on around Swords tho :D I'm living here two years now and still have a list of stuff to do :)

Stheno wrote: »
    I commute to the city centre from Swords every day and use the 41x, which doesn't go through Drumcondra in the morning but does in the evening.

It's fine, and afaik the 41 goes through Drumcondra and is a pretty regular service.

Am slightly amazed you found nothing going on around Swords tho :D I'm living here two years now and still have a list of stuff to do :)

Maybe it was just the night that I drove around or the place that I would be living, Waterside, but nothing was within walking distance. I'm from a rural area but have been living in and out of cities for a few years now. When I'm at home I know that I will be driving everywhere but when I'm living and working in a city I want to leave the car parked as often as possible. Just didn't get that vibe where I was looking at.

Can I ask how long your commute generally takes?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ipad

would say swords too, cheaper... if you don't mind me asking, which company? i use to work in that estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

So I went to look at a place in Swords this evening. House seemed nice but I spent about an hour driving around trying to see was there much happening within walking distance. There wasn't.

So I've refocused my efforts on finding a place in Drumcondra. Anyone doing this commute from D9 to Swords and if you are how do you find it?

Cheers.

I was just going to say this to you. If you are single - as in don't have children- I would recommend Drumcondra. Nice easy commute to Swords by car as you will be going in the other direction to the traffic.

There is life outside of work and I imagine you would have mates living around the general outer city centre areas like Drumcondra/Rathmines etc. And you are right beside Town for gigs, football, theatre or whatever your hobbies are. Not sure where in Santry your employer is moving to - but you could probably cycle there from Drumcondra. Good bus service from Drumcondra to Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Especially as your company is relocating, look towards Santry or closer to town (as your commute while they're in Swords will be against the traffic and you'll be really close once they move).

Santry is a nice area, it's really sorta well established whereas a lot of swords (well moreso the surrounding areas) is new and there are some fairly huge housing estates and all that. Not that I dislike Swords, but given a choice...

Whitehall, Beaumont and Drumcondra would also be good places to look. Oh and it's just my opinion so disregard it totally if you want, but I don't think anywhere in the whole "Northwood" complex is particularly near to anything at all and I'd barely classify it as Santry, most of it is nearer to Ballymun.

• Advertisement

wow sierra wrote: »
    I was just going to say this to you. If you are single - as in don't have children- I would recommend Drumcondra. Nice easy commute to Swords by car as you will be going in the other direction to the traffic.

There is life outside of work and I imagine you would have mates living around the general outer city centre areas like Drumcondra/Rathmines etc. And you are right beside Town for gigs, football, theatre or whatever your hobbies are. Not sure where in Santry your employer is moving to - but you could probably cycle there from Drumcondra. Good bus service from Drumcondra to Swords.

This is my reason for dismissing Swords having viewed two places. I was trying to figure out what I would be doing on a Wednesday night and couldn't come up with anything. At least Drumcondra is relatively close to the city centre for cinemas/bite to eat/pint with mates living in town etc. The impending move to Santry is also another plus point.

Is daft still the premier place to look online? I feel like I've looked at every place at least twice at this stage.

Cheers for all the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

I commute from drumcondra to the airport...with no traffic it can take 10-15 mins, if even that.

Really recommend drumcondra as it's close to the city centre, good public transport and even if you didn't want to go to town, there are plenty of nice pubs and restaurants around drumcondra upper (near pats college) that do yummy food.

Go on to daft.ie and check the area out. I know that around ferguson road and surrounding roads have plenty of houses to rent. These are old houses but they seem to be bought up by young couples/ first time buyers etc so it's lovely and quite.

Hope this helps and the best of luck!

There's also the Independent Pizza Co. and The Cheese Pantry. I think the commute could be 1hr+ and I would still be finding reasons to live in Drumcondra because of those two. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

There's also the Independent Pizza Co. and The Cheese Pantry. I think the commute could be 1hr+ and I would still be finding reasons to live in Drumcondra because of those two. :)

And munchies! Havent tried their late night noodle bar yet but i'm sure its yum! Anyway, getting back to your commute... 1hr+ to swords? :eek:

It all depends what time you work at. If its normal 9 - 5 well then this will be in your favour as you should generally be going against traffic in the morning and evening times. I work shift work so I could be in at 5 in the am or 5 in the pm and either way with 5pm traffic would never take me an hour... maybe 30 mins!

Advertisement