Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headbanging - Is there a method to it?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

After most gigs, or just when Im bein a sap at home with my music blasting; my neck is in pieces. It usually takes 2-3 days for me to be able to move my head without actually feeling the strain, ya know?

So Im wondering; am I just unfortunate in that my neck isnt strong enough to take headbanging? or are fellas like the guitarist in this vid at 2:38 doing someting that allows them to throw their head around like this at every single gig?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

beavis_and_butthead_headbanging.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

well I i Know Slayer headbang for a while back stage, so loosen the neck up before a gig, but id imagine its because of years of doing it and age.

Corpsegrinder from cannibal corpse is by far the most serious headbanger dont know how he manages to keep it up for so long at the speed he does it!

his quote from Bloodstock last year: ok hears a fast one for yous, but i doubt you guys will keep up with me.......f*ck was he right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

You're clearly not rocking out in your room enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Beavis and Butthead

beavis-and-butthead.gif
    GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    well I i Know Slayer headbang for a while back stage, so loosen the neck up before a gig, but id imagine its because of years of doing it and age.

Corpsegrinder from cannibal corpse is by far the most serious headbanger dont know how he manages to keep it up for so long at the speed he does it!

his quote from Bloodstock last year: ok hears a fast one for yous, but i doubt you guys will keep up with me.......f*ck was he right :(

I dont listen to them, but a quick youtube search tells me; you shít not.. holy crap.

I dont listen to them, but a quick youtube search tells me; you shít not.. holy crap.

hahahahah hes an animal, :D

(sh1t quality but you get the pic)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Solution for painless headbanging? Hip bang. You'll look a tad stupid, but you'll save a day or two of neck strain. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I had the exact same problem, the few days after Korn were last here were total agony...

However! There is a solution, just stretch out your neck beforehand and you can headbang to your heart's content :) I'm talking about rolling your head round the full way, side to side, up and down, diagonal (slow and steady) for a few minutes. Now you will look like a knob doing this, so I usually do it at home before leaving for a gig.

Neck stretches and earplugs have made rock and metal concerts a million times more enjoyable for me, so I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Corpsegrinder is in a league of his own, the guy is a machine......

like has been said just stretch the neck beforehand and you should be fine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I once wrote into Rock Sound (about 10 years ago) giving out about moshing. Someone had claimed it was an art form, and I disputed it, stating it ruined my gig experiences, and that it was all a bit silly really.

I did it as I knew I'd get a response (don't feed the troll). Anyways, they printed it, and the following few months was filled with mini metallers giving out about my letter....

seachto7 wrote: »
    I once wrote into Rock Sound (about 10 years ago) giving out about moshing. Someone had claimed it was an art form, and I disputed it, stating it ruined my gig experiences, and that it was all a bit silly really.

I did it as I knew I'd get a response (don't feed the troll). Anyways, they printed it, and the following few months was filled with mini metallers giving out about my letter....

Moshing =/= headbanging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

When i was in my 20's i used to just turn up to gigs and just launch into it. Being young and bulletproof i'd have not so much as a twinge after a gig. By the time i hit 30 i noticed i'd feel a lot of pain in my neck after a gig(or a good night at Fibbers) and had to start doing exercises(to some rockin' sounds obviously) to loosen up the neck before a gig. I still do it now,it's the only way to enjoy a gig without the whiplash the next morning.

Yes,i'm getting old!!:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I have some anti-inflammatory gel stuff I got from the doctors years ago that still does the job if I've been shaking my head a bit too vigorously that night. I lash it on before I go to bed and it does the job.

In saying that, sometimes I just dance like a girl cos I don't wanna ruin my hair... that solves that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Holy God this is about the least rockin thread on all of boards!!! Gel from the doctors? Warm-up exercises? What's wrong with the youth of today?

komodosp wrote: »
    UNHoly God this is about the least rockin thread on all of boards!!! Gel from the doctors? Warm-up exercises? What's wrong with the youth of today?

hahahahahah well said :D

komodosp wrote: »
    Holy God this is about the least rockin thread on all of boards!!! Gel from the doctors? Warm-up exercises? What's wrong with the youth of today?

My youth was a good few years ago!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

our best days are behind us mr lucan.:p

me in the front , in front of the guitarist when i had mucho hair and youthful vigour!!!:D

our best days are behind us mr lucan.:p

I remember the days when even a night in Fibbers was as hardcore as any gig,moshing all over the tiny floor area and bouncing off the walls. Great times. :D

Now and again i'll go mad but i usually feel it the next morning so advanced preparation is key.

McGonagles is sadly missed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

lol I love all the people warming up before their headbanging session

headbanging serious business :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If only had the patience to grow my hair, my hair colour looks stupid when long anyway...

Anyway +1 with Corpse Grinder. Hank William III sure can ****ing windmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

ahh i do miss my headbanging days,had dreads down to my ass
    and used to lash em around ,my best memory is in the really old fibbers headbanging and getting a dread caught in some girls bra strap .
    kinda like fishing ,it was a very funny moment ha ha ha ha ha ha

ahh i do miss my headbanging days,had dreads down to my ass
    and used to lash em around ,my best memory is in the really old fibbers headbanging and getting a dread caught in some girls bra strap .
    kinda like fishing ,it was a very funny moment ha ha ha ha ha ha

After reminding me of being in Glasgow with a few mates. One was headbanging away and his hair got caught in anothers nose ring.

We were actually kicked out because of him shrieking like a girly girl (although I don't have a nose piercing so I can't really empathise with hair getting caught in it....and the subsequent pulling).

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I know its a bit of an old thread but I reckon this lad knows the score when it comes to headbanging! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX_hdUmVyZ4&feature=related

Advertisement