Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

does there exist a modern (formalised, associated) but equivalent to clans?

• 31-03-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I am new to this sort of stuff, but I think this might be easy to answer with something short (if it has an answer) and I can research the terminology.

I have met many families which are quite organised, and have multiple generations and include many people, but they are ephemeral and tend to die out when the matriach/patriach dies and then naturally fork off. I am wondering if there are more "state-like" or foundation-like families that exist in some institutional manner, but which aren't aristocratic/crime families... and mainly in the west, and independent of social class, is what I want to know. I know such things as tribes exist in parts of the world. Also, there are "estates", but they seem to be legal entities more than anything else.

Personally I wasn't signed into any charter or expected to attend AGMs when I was born but I wonder if anyone here was? Perhaps some Catholics might feel this way (I suppose that is what some of you might tell me is the answer, but I am not sure.

Thanks

Edit: thread title should say "but family-based/hereditary"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Also, I've noticed if you google "<irish surname> society" you get lots of websites for "clans" of sort sometimes modelling themselves after ancient Irish/scottish clans and organising meetups, but I don't know how serious those things are or if they are any force in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are you looking for modern associations - i.e. that model themsleves on 'clan' organisation or for actual unbroken survivals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

In Irish society only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Well, in the US, you still have many tribal communities that have clan systems. Your clan establishes your medicine, who you can and cannot marry, and your extended family.

Here's a video of a Navajo woman introducing herself by listing her clans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAPACR-Wo-g

Advertisement