Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fields up the back of Hillview & Horses

• 31-03-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone tell me who officially owns all the fields up the back of Hillview? It seems the local travellers have pretty much taken over the field, boarding them all up and filling every field with horses. I can't even bring the dog for a run through the field anyone, as the horses are aggressive and have chased us two or three times in the past week.

I don't mind them using up one of the fields for their horses, but they've taken over all 4 fields now. I know alot of people used to take their dog for a free run around the field, but we can't do that now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

They where giving one of the fields to use I think. Give an inch take a mile. Fookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah, that's what I assumed. But they've taken over every single field. My dog hates walking on the path, and if I have him on the lead, he tries to run so fast he ends up choking himself. So it's best to just give him a run up the fields. Can't do that now without being chased down the field by an angry piebald :(

I've a right mind to kick down all the barriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

In fairness, there's a fair few fields to chose from around Gracedieu without bothering any horses. Show your dog some new horizons. I'm sure he'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I assumed. But they've taken over every single field. My dog hates walking on the path, and if I have him on the lead, he tries to run so fast he ends up choking himself. So it's best to just give him a run up the fields. Can't do that now without being chased down the field by an angry piebald :(

I've a right mind to kick down all the barriers.

Your not the first person I have heard giving out about this (Bhfeidhir go bhfuil tú an duine chéanna?) and your dead right, sounds to me like they are pushing it alright. One thing is for certain, they will be left to it and no one else's rights matter in their eyes though they will bang on about their own rights at the drop of a hat.

blobbyblob wrote: »
    In fairness, there's a fair few fields to chose from around Gracedieu without bothering any horses. Show your dog some new horizons. I'm sure he'd be delighted.

That's not really the point though is it. Why should he have to go and break his usual routine which suits him because of the usual flouting of the laws by certain people.

• Advertisement

The fields are right behind my house. I have to walk through them to bring the dog for a walk. Why should I have to accommodate them and walk off to some other fields that aren't behind me? I've lived here for 28 years. I'm not the only person who's been affected by this. Lot's of people in Hillview and the surrounding area let their dogs go for a run up there.

Like I said, I've no problem with them using one of the fields for the horses - but they've taken over all 4 of them. It's dangerous to have the horses there, as one or two of them are very aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The fields are right behind my house. I have to walk through them to bring the dog for a walk. Why should I have to accommodate them and walk off to some other fields that aren't behind me? I've lived here for 28 years. I'm not the only person who's been affected by this.

Like I said, I've no problem with them using one of the fields for the horses - but they've taken over all 4 of them.
    it was bad enough when they put a bleeding road in the fields. Now the horses robbing what's left of the fields. Boourns

seanybiker wrote: »
    it was bad enough when they put a bleeding road in the fields. Now the horses robbing what's left of the fields. Boourns

Yeah - I have to listen to fellas wheeling spinning on bikes and in cars up that road every night. Now I can't even walk out the back without being chased by a horse. It's not on in fairness - All I want to do is to let the dog go for a run. He's a very energic fella as you know - so he has to be run alot to tire him out. Otherwise, he's hyper as anything.

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's not really the point though is it. Why should he have to go and break his usual routine which suits him because of the usual flouting of the laws by certain people.

The horses owners are kinda being forced to break their usual routine, are they not. Otherwise they would have moved on and the field would be empty and everyone's happy.

The horses owners are kinda being forced to break their usual routine, are they not. Otherwise they would have moved on and the field would be empty and everyone's happy.

No they are not. This wasn't their usual routine, they didn't always have the horses in every field and they are not entitled to either.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point. They were given a field for their horses. They've now taken over the entire 4 fields behind me, and have more on some more fields further up the road.

I cannot bring my dog for a run up the fields anymore without being attacked by a horse. They've actually barricaded the entrances from one field to the next to the point where you couldn't walk your dog, even if there was no horses.

They don't own the fields, and as such - someone who has lived in this area for almost 30 years has a right to be annoyed that they cannot run their dog up the fields.

I'm not missing any point, thanks :)

You don't own the land, they don't own the land (or do they).

I feel for your dog!

I never made the claim that I own the land. And no, they don't own it either - which is why it's only fair for them to not take over all of the fields, at the expense of people who have lived in the area for almost 30 years who just want to bring their dog for a walk.

No they are not. This wasn't their usual routine, they didn't always have the horses in every field and they are not entitled to either.

Spot on.

I'm not missing any point, thanks :)

I feel for your dog!

You are most certainly missing the point. I feel for you.

I never made the claim that I own the land. And no, they don't own it either - which is why it's only fair for them to not take over all of the fields, at the expense of people who have lived in the area for almost 30 years who just want to bring their dog for a walk.

Never said you did make the claim and I don't dispute that its a pain in the hole having an angry nag at the back of your house. Just saying there's other fields for the pooch.

You are most certainly missing the point. I feel for you.

Ohhhhh no I'm not but thank you!

Never said you did make the claim and I don't dispute that its a pain in the hole having an angry nag at the back of your house. Just saying there's other fields for the pooch.

There isn't other fields. My back garden is directly next to the 4 fields in question. I have to walk through them, to even get onto the back road.

And I am not interested in accommodating someone who has taken over 4 fields when they were given 1 for their horses. So you're completely missing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

There's other fields for the effing horses too. Quit trolling. You haven't added anything to the OP's thread except to try and agitate him further.

Take that crap off to another field.

gscully wrote: »
    There's other fields for the effing horses too. Quit trolling. You haven't added anything to the OP's thread except to try and agitate him further.

Take that crap off to another field.

Is this a discussion board or a counselling service?

Most certainly am not trolling. What's the point in having a differing opinion if its considered trolling. Add something to it yourself if you have an opinion by all means but don't have a pop at me because I'm not rubbing his belly or patting his head.

I see where he's coming from and as I said I wouldn't like a hoard of horses outside my house either.

• Advertisement

Is this a discussion board or a counselling service?

Most certainly am not trolling. What's the point in having a differing opinion if its considered trolling. Add something to it yourself if you have an opinion by all means but don't have a pop at me because I'm not rubbing his belly or patting his head.

I see where he's coming from and as I said I wouldn't like a hoard of horses outside my house either.

Yet again, you aren't getting this. He's not complaining about a hoard of horses outside his house!

He was always able to go through the fields at the back of his house with his dog, as were everyone else. Now no one can because there has been horses put into the fields and the ways into them have been boarded up, illegally.

You seemed to have decided though that he should bring his dog to other fields and that you feel pity for the dog because he doesn't. He brings his dogs for walks and lets him off for a run, that's a lucky dog with a good owner. But that has nothing to do with the point he is making anyway.

Do you know the area he's talking about and what is happening there at all or did you imagine you understood what he's talking about and start putting him down because of the incorrect assumption you made in your own mind?

You can't blame people for thinking your trolling when your making a right mess off understanding it.

Exactly deisedevil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

the horses are aggressive and have chased us two or three times in the past week.

Lol.

perhaps the horses were trained by Peter Robinson or Big Ian.

Lol.

LOL! :D Instead of shaking their heads and letting out a Neigh they'd say Nooooo!

Edit: Oh god that was crap. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Could you go up at the same time as maybe 20 other big dog owners? Stay for about 1 hr?

If they were 'given' a field, it must have been the council that gave them the field. Do the council own the other fields either side too then? If so, get onto a councilor.

If you could get a few pics of the horses in each other field as well as the one they have, it would be better. Surly the council would be liable if you were injured in the other 3 fields as they didn't make them safe (free from horses).

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Could you go up at the same time as maybe 20 other big dog owners? Stay for about 1 hr?

If they were 'given' a field, it must have been the council that gave them the field. Do the council own the other fields either side too then? If so, get onto a councilor.

If you could get a few pics of the horses in each other field as well as the one they have, it would be better. Surly the council would be liable if you were injured in the other 3 fields as they didn't make them safe (free from horses).

Ah shur there's some people that the laws and demands of councilors don't apply to. Everything falls on deaf ears with them. Worth a try but chances are won't make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

A couple of years ago I used to walk my dog up those fields and since the whole Grace Dieu area has been built up with housing estates and the new road there isn't as many fields as there used to be.

Do young kids still play up around the fields because I used to go up there a lot when I was in Primary school? If the horses are aggressive and charging around the place kids could get hurt.

Lol.

Paisley & Robinson are like angels compared to these horses. One tried to headbutt me, the other chased my wee dog around the field for 10 minutes.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I'm gunna get onto a councillor and see what the crack is. I think that will be best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Paisley & Robinson are like angels compared to these horses. One tried to headbutt me, the other chased my wee dog around the field for 10 minutes.

Well you did say you wanted to tire out the dog :D

But seriously, it is bad form. They could have stuck with using just the one field.

Just curious, what sort of dog is it?

Advertisement