Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Such thing as desiccate rodent poison?

• 31-03-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hope this is in the right section of the forum.

Got a persistent problem in the home house. Have had traps out for weeks.
    Its a period house so stoping them coming in is just impossible. Can hear them at night etc. Done all the usual things. Havn't had problems in recent years with very good control measures in the farm yard. thought they would of gone out of the house by now.

Is there such a thing as a Desiccating Poison so as they wont smell when they die in the walls and under the floorboards?

Used a poison about 10yrs ago and had a foul smell in my bedroom. not fun taking up carpets and then floor boards trying to find dead rats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Its a period house so stoping them coming in is just impossible. Can hear them at night etc. Done all the usual things. Havn't had problems in recent years with very good control measures in the farm yard. thought they would of gone out of the house by now.

Is there such a thing as a Desiccating Poison so as they wont smell when they die in the walls and under the floorboards?

Used a poison about 10yrs ago and had a foul smell in my bedroom. not fun taking up carpets and then floor boards trying to find dead rats.

Storm poison is recommended for a situation like this. Its manufacturers claim that when the rat or mouse takes the poison, he becomes really thirsty and goes out in search of water. (Make sure you cover your tanks in your attic)

Had a problem with rats in my attic over the winter - new house, no footpaths yet and we think they got into the cavity and up the walls. They took all the bait and since then they have stopped walking around at night :D
    they left no smell either, so I presume that they went outside for last rites. have bait down again in the attic and around the house in bait boxes, but in the last 2 months it hasn't been touched.

the reason why mice and rats are such a problem in recent months is the harsh winter that we had. December saw us with hard frost and snow. Rats and mice go indoors in search of warmth and food during arctic conditions.

Hope it helps.

Edit: A mouse can enter a building through a gap under a door or at a vent or drain pipe through a gap no bigger than your little finger. A rat needs about twice this space (remember he can be a small rat but can grow very fast in warmth and where there is plenty of food).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AtillaTheHun

reilig wrote: »
    Storm poison is recommended for a situation like this. Its manufacturers claim that when the rat or mouse takes the poison, he becomes really thirsty and goes out in search of water. (Make sure you cover your tanks in your attic)

Had a problem with rats in my attic over the winter - new house, no footpaths yet and we think they got into the cavity and up the walls. They took all the bait and since then they have stopped walking around at night :D
    they left no smell either, so I presume that they went outside for last rites. have bait down again in the attic and around the house in bait boxes, but in the last 2 months it hasn't been touched.

the reason why mice and rats are such a problem in recent months is the harsh winter that we had. December saw us with hard frost and snow. Rats and mice go indoors in search of warmth and food during arctic conditions.

Hope it helps.

Edit: A mouse can enter a building through a gap under a door or at a vent or drain pipe through a gap no bigger than your little finger. A rat needs about twice this space (remember he can be a small rat but can grow very fast in warmth and where there is plenty of food).

Thanks for the response.
    i talked to arrest a pest in cork. He said there is no poison that will function as i want. They will all smell and i've been through that once:(

part of the fun of living in a period home:mad:

I went to the Coop and they had some of those electric socket pest repellents. But the ones i got also have an 'electromagnetic' feature that will apparently pluse though the wiring in your house and shift them. here's hoping:confused: as they were 40euro each and i bought 2:eek:. they will be well worth it if they work though!!!

atilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thanks for the response.
    i talked to arrest a pest in cork. He said there is no poison that will function as i want. They will all smell and i've been through that once:(

part of the fun of living in a period home:mad:

atilla

I'm afraid he's right - and thats from a number of bad experiences with these situations over the years:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

If they weren't banned in Ireland, glue boards are your answer, no dead furry boys and girls around the house. drop me a pm if you want more info

If they weren't banned in Ireland, glue boards are your answer, no dead furry boys and girls around the house. drop me a pm if you want more info

I am familiar with them all right. trouble is up till now they are not really entering any of the living spaces in the house. they are in the walls and under the floorboards etc. and they are ignoring traps with peanut butter on them in the activity area's i can get at.

i'll see how i go with the electromagnetic repellents for the moment. cheers

atilla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Do you have any cats? :D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Do you have any cats? :D

u've gotten to the route of the problem!
    campaigning for them atm. TBH none of us like them:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

u've gotten to the route of the problem!
    campaigning for them atm. TBH none of us like them:confused:

In my experience they are better then rats;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I find cats to be a pain around the farm. Not alone do they carry the risk of toxomasplosis, but they also tend to set up home in your hayshed - destroying hay with sh1t and pi$$. The ruin wrapped silage bales as they seem to have an attraction to the black shiney wrap and attack it with their claws. They'll leave loads of mushrooms on your bales in their aftermath. I also have an allergy to them and can't even sit in a house that allows cats indoors.

In saying that I personally have a better solution for catching rats and mice around my farm with my sheepdog. He continually hovers around the door of the meal loft - he snaps and crunches from the smallest mouse the size of your thumb to a rat the size of your fist and breaks their neck with one bite.

Unfortunately, the majority of independent srudies on electromagnetic repellents show that they are just a placebo. They have little or no effect on the mouse or rat and just serve as peace of mind for the homeowner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

I find cats to be a pain around the farm. Not alone do they carry the risk of toxomasplosis, but they also tend to set up home in your hayshed - destroying hay with sh1t and pi$$. The ruin wrapped silage bales as they seem to have an attraction to the black shiney wrap and attack it with their claws. They'll leave loads of mushrooms on your bales in their aftermath. I also have an allergy to them and can't even sit in a house that allows cats indoors.

In saying that I personally have a better solution for catching rats and mice around my farm with my sheepdog. He continually hovers around the door of the meal loft - he snaps and crunches from the smallest mouse the size of your thumb to a rat the size of your fist and breaks their neck with one bite.

Unfortunately, the majority of independent srudies on electromagnetic repellents show that they are just a placebo. They have little or no effect on the mouse or rat and just serve as peace of mind for the homeowner.
    i hate cats as bad as the rats smell .i know a family who got a bloodhound and he was great at rats.if he saw or smelled one he would not quit till he got it. reilig you are lucky to have a good dog like that the terriers are very as well .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What about a Ferret?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

I have “king Rat” living in the roof of my kitchen extension roof… he/it seems happy enough there as he hasn’t moved into the main house as yet,

I tried setting the normal spring type rat traps - its like an over sized mouse trap… I put some sausage meat in both and placed them by the entry to his little den but after 2 days all I caught was a starling so I sacked that idea in favour of a bin trap that I seen on utube,

I half filled a wheely bin with water and drilled a hole either side of the bin so I could stick a rod loosely threw it with a litre milk bottle in the middle then ontop of the milk bottle I put a tin of sardines and made a walkway from the Rats entry hole down to the bin and trickled sardine oil along its path,

After 2 more days of waiting I started to think the rat may be vegetarian so I put a good dab of peanut butter in place of the mackerel…. This didn’t work either,

The glue sounds like just the job as I could put it on a piece of guttering and slide it into the hole away from birds and other things so it shouldn’t cause any unwanted harm to anything else but this Jack Russel of a rat,

It really is a big one and I know this because one night last week my dog had it cornered behind the oil tank so I got a torch out and looked it straight in its big eye :eek: then I ran indoors and locked myself in for the night,

My mate said to stick ferret droppings around the place and the stink will keep them away…. Is this true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

mann wrote: »
    I have “king Rat” living in the roof of my kitchen extension roof… he/it seems happy enough there as he hasn’t moved into the main house as yet,

I tried setting the normal spring type rat traps - its like an over sized mouse trap… I put some sausage meat in both and placed them by the entry to his little den but after 2 days all I caught was a starling so I sacked that idea in favour of a bin trap that I seen on utube,

I half filled a wheely bin with water and drilled a hole either side of the bin so I could stick a rod loosely threw it with a litre milk bottle in the middle then ontop of the milk bottle I put a tin of sardines and made a walkway from the Rats entry hole down to the bin and trickled sardine oil along its path,

After 2 more days of waiting I started to think the rat may be vegetarian so I put a good dab of peanut butter in place of the mackerel…. This didn’t work either,

The glue sounds like just the job as I could put it on a piece of guttering and slide it into the hole away from birds and other things so it shouldn’t cause any unwanted harm to anything else but this Jack Russel of a rat,

It really is a big one and I know this because one night last week my dog had it cornered behind the oil tank so I got a torch out and looked it straight in its big eye :eek: then I ran indoors and locked myself in for the night,

My mate said to stick ferret droppings around the place and the stink will keep them away…. Is this true ?

Your trap is too elaborate.

Make a see-saw on the edge of the bin, but make sure it is well balanced, so it will only tip when the rat is well up it. Put a ramp leading to the seesaw. Drill a couple of holes in the edge of the bin, and a hole in the see saw and thread a bit of fishing line through it, Tie the two ends loosely so the seesaw will tip but not move much besides.

Your trap needs the rat to jump on the milk carton. It will only catch suicidal rats, in my opinion.

I have killed loads with the simple see saw.

LC

LostCovey wrote: »
    Your trap is too elaborate.

Make a see-saw on the edge of the bin, but make sure it is well balanced, so it will only tip when the rat is well up it. Put a ramp leading to the seesaw. Drill a couple of holes in the edge of the bin, and a hole in the see saw and thread a bit of fishing line through it, Tie the two ends loosely so the seesaw will tip but not move much besides.

Your trap needs the rat to jump on the milk carton. It will only catch suicidal rats, in my opinion.

I have killed loads with the simple see saw.

LC

Hi LC,

It wasn’t until I made this one up using an old hinge that I could picture your idea about using fishing line, while this hinge is well oiled and moves freely I really do think your idea of using fishing line would work much better as it would drop faster and be free enough to wobble as the rat tried to grab on to it on the way down,

I will give this one a go for a couple of days then I will try your idea…. Do you think that putting grease along the plank might also help,

I used peanut butter again as bait… I have just found out that peanut butter tastes great - tried a tiny bit before but as I put it on the end of the wood the smell made me hungry so I put some on bread and enjoyed it… lets hope the hairy fella likes it as much as I,

Thanks for the tip :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

this stuff should do the trick....
    http://www.trapman.co.uk/eradirat.htm
    but not sure where you'd get it in Ireland, only ever seen it in the UK

Forgot to add this picture

this stuff should do the trick....
    http://www.trapman.co.uk/eradirat.htm
    but not sure where you'd get it in Ireland, only ever seen it in the UK

interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I had a problem this year where the feckers got into the stack of bales and destroyed 8 bales. (see attachment)
    They ate their way into the silage, which then heated nicely for them and they had drinking water laid on if they just dropped to the ground. It must have been like a stay in a spa resort for them during the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I went to the Coop and they had some of those electric socket pest repellents. But the ones i got also have an 'electromagnetic' feature that will apparently pluse though the wiring in your house and shift them. here's hoping:confused: as they were 40euro each and i bought 2:eek:. they will be well worth it if they work though!!!

atilla

We've had those electromagnetic yokes in the house for probably 8 or 9 years now and have found them to be a great job.

We've had those electromagnetic yokes in the house for probably 8 or 9 years now and have found them to be a great job.

haven't heard them for a couple of days.
    its still early days yet though:(
    fingers crossed!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement