Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Advice - Joint Membership

Options
  • 31-03-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

All,

I had a search on boards and couldn't find anything related to joint membership.

My girlfriend and I are looking for joint membership to a gym around D2 (Ballsbridge) that has a pool.

Does anyone know if this type of membership exists?
    What kind of saving should I expect?

Any tips or hints would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

jokeragain wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this type of membership exists?

If it doesn't already exist, you can always try to negotiate such a deal.

Just make to first establish that whoever you are dealing with is the decision maker and cannot at any point say "We're not allowed to do that" or "My boss wouldn't allow that" or any such nonsense.

There is a gym in D2 for example, whose sales team are told to first quote you a very high joining fee together with a high monthly fee. If you don't baulk at either, then you pay that joinig fee and are stuck paying that high monthly rate for as long as your membership lasts.

If you do baulk at either, they will give you the whole spiel about it being your lucky day and there's a reduced joining fee. If you object more, they will offer to waive it altogether if you join on the day. The higher the joining fee they get from you, the closer they are to their sales target and the closer they are to their commission check.

So if they can negotiate how much you pay (albeit in a very sneaky way), then so can you.

In these times, the power lies with the customer and not the gyms. So always be prepared to barter and remember at all times that the prices or rates are never truly fixed, no matter what you are told. Everything is always negotiable.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jokeragain

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I am in sales myself and I think I'm aware of the club in D2 you speak of. ;)

I would like to pay 850euro per year for the two of us and I would love to know whether anyone has achieved this price or similar?

Again, thanks for your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

jokeragain wrote: »
    I would like to pay 850euro per year for the two of us and I would love to know whether anyone has achieved this price or similar?

I think you can easily get that price (or lower if you're as shameless as me! :D)

Tell them you've only got "€850" to spend on a joint membership.

If/when they refuse, smile politely and take out one of your business cards (or a piece of paper with your name and contact number on it)

On the back of the card, write "Your Name + Joint Membership - 2 for €850"

Hand it to the salesperson and say "If you change your mind, give me a ring at this number".

Smile politely once again, turn on your heels and walk away.

I'd be seriously surprised if you reach the car park without the salesperson having miraculously spoken to his/her "superior" (hint: he/she doesn't actually exist) and having agreed to the price you stated all in the space of about 30 seconds........

Advertisement