Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Woods 12

Options
  • 31-03-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting this tomorrow ? Which format ?

I wonder if Gamestop or whatever shop are sellign the CE.

Was thinking of buying the Move thing for PS3 for this. Normally I'd get it for 360 but the Move thing would be cool.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

brianon wrote: »
    Anyone getting this tomorrow ? Which format ?

Read this thread first, shame on EA.
    ~€200 for dlc before game is even released.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223381

Was thinking of buying the Move thing for PS3 for this. Normally I'd get it for 360 but the Move thing would be cool.

Nothing about the move is cool, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

F1ngers wrote: »
    Read this thread first, shame on EA.
    ~€200 for dlc before game is even released.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223381

Most of that is booster packs you can unlock them or pay for them its common now in all EA games

Gamestop are doing the C.E edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

word of warning: tiger 12 is absolutely awful

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Helix wrote: »
    word of warning: tiger 12 is absolutely awful

I was looking forward to this....please elaborate ?
    Whats wrong with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

F1ngers wrote: »

I'm flabbergasted to be honest, whats not cool about jumping around your room with a glowing orb in your hand ??

Also

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPl2T-Te7OQc2jJtcV8Vom4-BegX--tkP9GOlIiLE3DplkTrxE

• Advertisement

claiva wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this....please elaborate ?
    Whats wrong with it ?

my full(ish) take:
    I fully appreciate that when you’re developing a game in a brand that requires annual updates you’re going to have to shake things up every now and then to ensure that things don’t stagnate, and I’m perfectly fine with that. It seemed that EA Sports had nailed it; their FIFA, Fight Night, Madden and, up until now, Tiger Woods series’ had gone from strength to strength in the last five years or so with each one improving on the last in steady increments. Sure we had sweeping changes some years, but they always worked and added to the experience. Maybe they felt they’d hit a plateaux with the Tiger Woods series, or maybe it was the fact that they’d finally gotten their hands on The Masters license that had evaded them for so long, but this year’s
    game just feels wrong.

In EA Tiburon’s defence it’s certainly not for the want of trying, they’ve included an impressive array of new features for gamers to get to grips with. It’s just that somewhere along the lines, the overall feeling of the series has been swallowed up by a need to shoehorn everything in. Some of it works, some of it doesn’t, and even though the basics haven’t changed all that much on the gameplay side, something is terribly wrong.

The game opens pretty well, featuring a prologue that covers the end of last year’s Masters tournament, placing you in the shoes of Tiger Woods on Augusta’s 18th as he chases down Anthony Kim to win his record equalling 5th Masters. It’s excellently implemented, and introduces you to the new caddie dynamic, as well as setting the scene for the prestige and glamour of the Masters itself. After you successfully guide Tiger to victory (we tried our best, and it doesn’t appear that you can fail) you’ll be taken to the customary golfer creation screen to build your on screen persona before tackling the long road to stardom.

Like all EA Sports games the character creation section offers plenty of scope for tweaking and adjusting, or if you’re feeling lazy you can randomise things instead (we quite like the fact that you can adjust all, just the head or just the body, as well as going for the “extreme” randomisation, should you be feeling silly). Once you’re done it’s time to start your career, known here as The Road to the Masters – well, if you’re paying all that money for a license you may as well use it wherever you possibly can eh?

And then things start to fall apart.

The Caddy Experience, as it’s known, claims to increase authenticity and help the player by having the caddy offer you sage advice on shot selection and tactical approaches. Instead, you get a very annoying “buddy” you wish you could pummel right in the face with a 9 iron – a mode which has, unfortunately, been omitted. It steals precious seconds from your life, and requires you press additional buttons not to use his advice. Now I’m sorry, but surely with this type of feature you should be pressing additional buttons in order to use it? So as not to annoy people who see it for the pointless irritant that it is?

And then there’s the putting. Maybe I was just doing it wrong or something, but I read through both the hard copy and the software version of the manual and couldn’t find any mention of how to turn off the “infuriatingly inconsistent putting mechanism” or “incredibly unfair” settings. Perhaps this is being offered as DLC later on, to go with the ability to buy your way through the XP ranks that they’ve already implemented.

It’s terribly disappointing, because aside from the completely ruined gameplay, everything else seems to be bang on the money. There are 16 lovingly recreated and highly accurate courses on offer, a great career mode, the wonderful Masters Moments mode that will appeal to golf lovers everywhere, fantastic presentation, an updated golfer roster and, as always, an extensive online mode. So why, oh why, couldn’t they just have left the gameplay alone instead of bogging us down with needlessly aggravating additions in the name of “keeping things fresh”.
    Sorry EA, you’ve done a great job with the franchise in recent times, but you need to go back to the drawing board here.

Hi Helix,
    Surely you can Swith the Caddy off completely ?

Hi Helix,
    Surely you can Swith the Caddy off completely ?

unless i can do it by smashing his face in with a driver i dont care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

my full(ish) take:

Did you play TW '10/'11 ? What did you think of those ?

I'm pretty sure teh caddy option can be switched off.

Did you play TW '10/'11 ? What did you think of those ?

I'm pretty sure teh caddy option can be switched off.

yeah i normally love the tiger series, enjoyed 11, but this one is just... i dunno, its just crap

• Advertisement

yeah i normally love the tiger series, enjoyed 11, but this one is just... i dunno, its just crap

i loved '10. Couldn't get into '11 at all and got rid of it. hmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm flabbergasted to be honest, whats not cool about jumping around your room with a glowing orb in your hand ??

Also

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPl2T-Te7OQc2jJtcV8Vom4-BegX--tkP9GOlIiLE3DplkTrxE

looks like a dildo imo.

i loved '10. Couldn't get into '11 at all and got rid of it. hmmmmmmmmm

you definitely wont like this one then

10 was better than 11, coz it seemed they tried to make too many minor changes to it, and its the same again between 11 and 12, except multiplied many times over

the game just isnt fun, in any way shape or form

you definitely wont like this one then

10 was better than 11, coz it seemed they tried to make too many minor changes to it, and its the same again between 11 and 12, except multiplied many times over

the game just isnt fun, in any way shape or form

I am gonna get it anyway. You can say "i told you so" next week :D

Played the demo of this a while ago and it did seem pretty terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tiger Woods Pga Tour 12: The Masters: Adidas Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), Banff Springs Golf Course (£3.19/€3.99), Birdie Pack (£11.99/€14.99), Bridgestone Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), Callaway Proshop Pack (£3.19/€3.99), Callaway Sponsorship (£3.19/€3.99), Cleveland Proshop Pack (£2.39/€2.99), Cleveland Sponsorship (£2.39/€2.99), Cobra Proshop Pack (£1.59/€1.99), EA Online Pass (£6.29/€7.99), EA Sports Proshop Pack 1 (£0.79/€0.99), o EA Sports Proshop Pack 2 (£0.79/€0.99), EA Sports Proshop Pack 3 (£0.79/€0.99), EA Sports Sponsorship (£2.39/€2.99), Eagle Pack (£19.99/€24.99), Emerald Dragon (£3.19/€3.99), Footjoy Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), Greek Isles (£5.49/€6.99), Grip Item Pack (£1.59/€1.99), Harbour Town Golf Links (£3.19/€3.99), Hazeltine National Golf Club (£3.19/€3.99), The Highlands (£3.19/€3.99), Loudmouth Golf Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), Mizuno Proshop Pack (£1.59/€1.99), Nike Clothing Pack 1 (£0.79/€0.99), Nike Clothing Pack 2 (£0.79/€0.99), Nike Proshop Pack 1 (£2.39/€2.99), Nike Proshop Pack 2 (£2.39/€2.99), Nike Proshop Pack 3 (£2.39/€2.99), Nike Proshop Pack 4 (£2.39/€2.99), Nike Sponsorship (£5.49/€6.99), Oakley Proshop Pack 1 (£0.79/€0.99), Oakley Proshop Pack 2 (£0.79/€0.99), Oakmont Country Club (£3.19/€3.99), Pinehurst (£3.19/€3.99), Ping Proshop Pack (£2.39/€2.99), Ping Sponsorship (£2.39/€2.99), Prototype Starter Suit (£3.99/€4.99), Quagmire Golf Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), River Course At Blackwolf Run (£3.19/€3.99), Riviera Cc Golf Course (£3.19/€3.99), Shaft Item Pack (£1.59/€1.99), Sheshan Golf Club (£3.19/€3.99), Spyglass Hill Golf Course (£3.19/€3.99), Sundog Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), Taylormade Proshop Pack (£0.79/€0.99), Taylormade Sponsorship (£2.39/€2.99), The Els Club (£5.49/€6.99), The Predator (£3.19/€3.99), The TPC Blue Monster At Doral (£3.19/€3.99), Torrey Pines Golf Course (£3.19/€3.99), TPC Boston (£3.19/€3.99), Wolf Creek, Nv (£3.19/€3.99)

thats taking the piss.

Well there are 18 DLC courses (not interested in anything else).

The CE has 5 of them. The others can be bought for 25€ in a bundle.

How many courses come as standard? There were 17 in the last game I think.

Seems like **** loads tbh, I would have thought it would be pretty expensive to map a course, think it's pretty sweet to be able to extend the game's lifespan by buying a new course every time I get bored of the ones I have already.

I don't paying for courses as DLC. However, I hate paying for the same course each year as DLC. I bought a few for TW '10 and now have to fork out again for them.

keane2097 wrote: »
    How many courses come as standard? There were 17 in the last game I think.

17 in this one too

• Advertisement

17 in this one too

Seems pretty kosher so tbh.

People freaking out just because the data is on the disc already is stupid.

Lots of industries have similar models - microprocessors are a good example, with a low end model being a top of the range chip with some of the functionality switched off.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Seems pretty kosher so tbh.

People freaking out just because the data is on the disc already is stupid.

Lots of industries have similar models - microprocessors are a good example, with a low end model being a top of the range chip with some of the functionality switched off.

But is the data on the disc ? I don;t think so. I just downloaded the courses. 2Gigs !

Release day guys, anyone bought it yet ?
    Where did you get it ?
    How much ?
    Where is the best deal.
    I'm gonna pick it up today, just want to make sure I get it at a good price !

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Release day guys, anyone bought it yet ?
    Where did you get it ?
    How much ?
    Where is the best deal.
    I'm gonna pick it up today, just want to make sure I get it at a good price !

I got the collectors edition for 49.99 in gamestop.

byrneno7 wrote: »
    I got the collectors edition for 49.99 in gamestop.

What does the CE edition have that the normal edition doesn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

5 extra courses
    Only for ps3 btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

What does the CE edition have that the normal edition doesn't ?

i'm gonna whoop you later pal !!!
    Helix are you going to cry or what ?
    You can turn the caddy off and change the putting like tiger 11,
    ya big baby !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I have the game, i like it. The caddy can be a bit annoying but you can turn it off if it bothers you.

I don't see a problem with the putting either, maybe you're just doing it wrong Helix?

The DLC thing is a bit ridiculous alright but it dosen't really bother me cos i'm just not gonna be buying any of it.

Looks like its 49.99 everywhere (xbox).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Anyone tried the ipad version yet ? As it's 7.99, I'll probably risk it.

Advertisement