Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

poker question

• 31-03-2011 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

im not a newbie to poker but i would love to enter a competition like the paddy power poker or d day poker or something along those lines.but not texas hold em cant stand it.
    just straight poker Five card draw.can anyone tell me is it easy to enter does it cost much?or how do you go about it?is it difficult or easy?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

crazygeryy wrote: »
    im not a newbie to poker but i would love to enter a competition like the paddy power poker or d day poker or something along those lines.but not texas hold em cant stand it.
    just straight poker Five card draw.can anyone tell me is it easy to enter does it cost much?or how do you go about it?is it difficult or easy?

cheers

I doubt any of the online skins have much five card draw action, it's a really boring game tbh.

The only place I've come across five card draw live or online is the likes of GAA Clubs, where the rules tend to be pretty bizarre.

Good luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ok fair enough.but it is classic poker to be honest.but i take your point.maybe i should take a second look at texas hold em.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 on GAA, tennis and similar clubs and the weird rules including bizarre wild card plays. Also it's very much the older generation who play. There's a Tuesday game in the Fitzwilliam Card Club, again older generation. http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com/pages/poker/poker-tournaments.php#tue. There are some online games on the likes of FullTilt and PokerStars.

ok fair enough.but it is classic poker to be honest.but i take your point.maybe i should take a second look at texas hold em.:cool:

It's only classic because you learned it first.

The game suffers from an information imbalance, i.e. you don't have enough information about your opponents hand to make anything but fairly rudimentary inferences about what they could hold.

As Dan Harrington would say, this causes the game to become extremely mechanical when played correctly, although I'm sure there are a bunch of soft spots out there for creative play amongst the people who still play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

keane2097 wrote: »
    . although I'm sure there are a bunch of soft spots out there for creative play amongst the people who still play it.

Absolutely there is, but yeah I agree in principle its basically a watered down version of hold 'em. I played it in the Fitz a few times and like was already said I was about 40 years younger than everyone else :D

They have it on Pokerstars alright, but I would really think of giving Hold 'em a go, if you like Five Card trust me when you get to grips with Hold 'em you will absolutely love it I have seen it with My dad and alot of older players who were sceptical at first know they wouldnt play anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's only classic because you learned it first.

The game suffers from an information imbalance, i.e. you don't have enough information about your opponents hand to make anything but fairly rudimentary inferences about what they could hold.

As Dan Harrington would say, this causes the game to become extremely mechanical when played correctly, although I'm sure there are a bunch of soft spots out there for creative play amongst the people who still play it.

im sorry i have to disagree with that comment. its classic because it was the first type of poker played and if im not wrong the oldest:from wikipedia:

"The Five Card Draw Poker game is considered as the oldest type of poker. Because of its pedigree it is still considered as one of the best games of poker. It is one of the all time classics and before Texas Holdem was mainstream, this was the poker game of choice in households across the world.
    The Five Card Draw is played by two to five players. In Five Card Draw the game begins with the initial ante and then followed by two betting rounds. The players are given five cards face down. The players can discard up to five cards after the first betting round. The player who makes the best hand wins the pot.

im sorry i have to disagree with that comment. its classic because it was the first type of poker played and if im not wrong the oldest:from wikipedia:

"The Five Card Draw Poker game is considered as the oldest type of poker. Because of its pedigree it is still considered as one of the best games of poker. It is one of the all time classics and before Texas Holdem was mainstream, this was the poker game of choice in households across the world.
    The Five Card Draw is played by two to five players. In Five Card Draw the game begins with the initial ante and then followed by two betting rounds. The players are given five cards face down. The players can discard up to five cards after the first betting round. The player who makes the best hand wins the pot.

If you mean "classic" in the sense of "old" then fair enough, if you mean "classic" in the sense of "perfect example of the game" then it's age doesn't matter a fuck.

I'm pretty nonplussed about when each game was first played tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

5 card draw is dead in most parts now.

Advertisement