Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ship Aground at Rossaveal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Below is a photo of the Thor Gitta, currently lurking over near the Clare coast seeing as anchoring in Casla Bay has gone right out of fashion :)

http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=220573000

showphoto.aspx?mmsi=220573000&imo=9137727

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What ferries are they taking?

The two that belonged to Aran Direct Ferries, the company collapsed, they are currently tied up in the docks and are going to Mauritius.

Pictures here. Clan Eagle 1 and Clan Na Oileann

http://galwayships.com/passenger_ships/index.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They went for €600-800k each at an auction last month. Buyer in Indian Ocean is collecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They went for €600-800k each at an auction last month. Buyer in Indian Ocean is collecting them.

He did well then:D

He did well then:D

He done unreal well when you consider they cost 4 million when new and are reported to be in excellent condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They should of sent a serious heavy lifter to collect the ferries & the Pantanol, which sounds more like a headache pill than a ship. Will the Thor Gita fit into the docks ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Docking this evening on the high tide around 5-30pm weather permitting

Harbourmaster is doing well out of all of this at least anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Harbourmaster is doing well out of all of this at least anyway:D

And the Tug owners !

A lot better than the official receiver. This is not the time to be selling assets to repay debts.

Maybe they should sell tickets. It's not everyday that you see two ferries being picked up & put on the back of a ship.

How wide are the dock gates ?.

The Thor Gita is still almost 17 metres wide, so not much less that the Pantanal - hope their skipper is better at steering :D

Are they going to load the ferries onto the ship in the Docks?? Really?? I wouldn't have thought that there would be room for that in there!

• Advertisement

That big ship has arrived in Galway Docks, had a look this morning she is a big one.

http://www.galway.net/about/webcam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone in the know know if they'll be doing the lift in the docks? If so... what time?!

foto joe wrote: »
    Anyone in the know know if they'll be doing the lift in the docks? If so... what time?!

Thats the reason she is in the docks to load them there, maybe ask some of the guys down there if passing, I think it would take some time to hoist them up and secure them for the long trip to Mauritius.

Dont forget to post pics if you get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

I was passing the docks this morning at 8am and they were getting ready to lift the first ferry, for anyone intrested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

And according to Galway advertiser on FB, the ship nearly capsized because of it! Curse of the ferry liquidation sale!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway Bay fm news understands the sling broke almost turning over the cargo ship and the ferry went crashing back into the water.

:eek:

****ing hell. Those men who got hurt in the process must be so sore; I hope they recover soon!! The whole thing is jinxed!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Can anyone else spot the irony of these ferries having the Curse of Tutankhamun about them?

I know if I was crew on the Thor Gitta I would not exactly be looking forward to the passage to the Indian ocean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Did they get one of the boats on yet? From the webcam you can see one boat still in the water but not the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Wow, these boats are cursed.

Three men in hospital and lift suspended...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0407/galway.html

00046e1f-640.jpg

Edit: Photo by Joe Shaughnessy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There'll be no more lifting today, there'll be an investigation into why people were on the ship while it was being loaded. That's a big no no.

I reckon the harbour board won't let that boat lift in the docks again. They will probably make the owner get a mobile crane in to load the ferries

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

foto joe wrote: »
    Wow, these boats are cursed.

Three men in hospital and lift suspended...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0407/galway.html

00046e1f-640.jpg

Thats some Picture!

why the three local men were on board the passenger ferry when it was being loaded onto the cargo ship

I wondered about this as well. Surely that is dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You don't lift people unless its in a man basket. There should never be a situation where you lift people on a load

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

They will probably make the owner get a mobile crane in to load the ferries
    Michael Long to the rescue, Roundstone style?

Eyewitness on local radio
    You should've seen the waves, it was like the aftermath of a tsunami

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Went down this morning, but missed all the action by about 20 minutes and the place was crawling with ambulances and the fire service. Got a few pics that I'll put up in a while but nothing like the action shot by JS, only the aftermath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

can you put a few of those up Vulcan?

H

Advertisement